What Are Your Holiday Plans?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Just a couple of fast questions...What are your plans for the Holidays and will you run your layout for visitors?

We will have the out of town family members for X-mas eve. We'll meet for the first time our nephew's wife's parents from Toronto and this is the nephew's wife's first visit to our home. My nephew loves the layout and enjoys seeing the trains run. He an electrical engineer and a patent attorney.

Good cocktails, great food and conversation make for a joyous evening. New Years Eve and New Year's Day we're just relax by the fireplace and enjoy the two days alone.

What do you plan to do.....?

Thanks.

Greg

Christmas breakfast at out daughters home with the grand kids and an early Christmas dinner at out son's house. This year we can freeload as normally everything happens at our place.

Heading to northern New York on Friday, to spend Christmas with DIL and Grandkids. Come home on Day after Christmas, as long as the weather isn't ugly. Get to mooch again. Been doing this the last three years.

Two of my Grand Kids will be here Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I'm sure I will show it off to them.

Just the wife and I for Christmas but on the 27th my daughter from Wisconsin with 4 grandkids and son from South Carolina with 1 grandchild come in. Needless to say it'll be a little more action, but should be a great time.

My son is coming home for a week from Anchorage where he has lived for the past couple of years so we (wife and I) will be entertaining him. Other than that and the usual xmas morning routine, nothing special.

PJ pants, rum & eggnog, and quality dog time.
In between that try to plan the next layout...

What are your plans for the Holidays and will you run your layout for visitors?
Tonight was "An Old Fashion Christmas" in our town, and therefore the opening night for the Christmas Forest 2017. I'm guessing we had about 100 people. We greatly limited the number of trees this year. Last year was 36, this year we only did 12. I had originally done a layout design for four of the trees for the new Lionel Polar Express; however, since the Polar Express has not been delivered and I liked the idea so well I adapted it for the G-Gauge track. So much more intersting than a train going in a loop around a single tree. Popping out from one and skirting the next. It came out as well in real life as it looked on paper. 2-6 year old childern seemed to like it best. It was Implemented with almost all Aristocraft track. Never done that before. Ran the Bachmann Holiday Express train (a 4-6-0 Annie version with a coach and observation car).

Christmas Forest 2017 Main Tree.jpg BurlapTree.png

The four trees on the opposite side of the room got an LGB mogul painted C&S. A not quite so intersting layout (kind of a kinked dog bone), but still better than a simple loop. It was done with 100% LGB track. So much nicer to work with than the Aristocraft.
Christmas Forest 2017 Mogul.jpg Christmas Forest 1027 - looking east.jpg

Both trains ran flawlessly all evening other than when they were interfeared with.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first saw this thread, I thought; humph! That seem pretty nosey! However, now, I understand where Greg was going with it! Merry and Happy, everyone!

Not doing anything with my empire this weekend but next weekend, 30 Dec I'll be doing an op session with a few of the new members of the modular club. They've seen the videos on line and are looking forward to some long haul model railroad activity.

Not doing anything with my empire this weekend but next weekend, 30 Dec I'll be doing an op session with a few of the new members of the modular club. They've seen the videos on line and are looking forward to some long haul model railroad activity.
Oh yeah, I also set up some of the modular units in the gym lobby to go with the Christmas Forest display. Ran three trains in parade style for the show Wednesday night.
modulars.png

Back