What airbrush is best?

DNSHo2000

I am looking to get into custom painting/weathering, but I am on a very tight budget. With this said, what would be the best airbrush for the best price? I am hoping bellow $50 but I do not know how realistic this is.

I am looking to get into custom painting/weathering, but I am on a very tight budget. With this said, what would be the best airbrush for the best price? I am hoping bellow $50 but I do not know how realistic this is.

That's a question that has started many long threads. I'll give you my answer. You aren't going to get much in the way of quality for under $50.00. Cheap tools are a false economy. If you are going to do work for others besides yourself you'll want a quality tool. You can get a Neo (by/for Iwata) or a Revolution CR or BCR for under $100.00. You can also find some Badgers or Paasches in that price range as well. All three of those brands will paint well and last for many years. The Iwata is the best quality, and you'll only buy one of those once. Stay away from the cheap Chinese knock off ones, especially if you are inexperienced. You get what you pay for.

That is sort of a loaded question. It would appear from the way you wrote it that you don't have any experience airbrushing and are on a tight budget...nor do you say where you are in the world......so.....based on those assumptions and assuming you are in North America.....I would start by agreeing with Espeefan...don't but a cheap Chinese knock-off....that would be a false economy.

So...single-action is a bit easier to learn on and still gives good results....you can't go too wrong with a Badger 200NH single-action airbrush.
For double-action I really like the Badger Patriot-105 airbrush. Badger also has an excellent warranty agreement.

Check Amazon,Coast Airbrush and Chicago Airbrush Supply for prices and supplies.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/index.html
http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com

Double action is much better for weathering. Also not hard to learn. Some folks have trouble transitioning from single action to double action because they have to UNLEARN some things.

If I were going to buy Iwata i'd buy the Revolution CR or BCR (gravity or bottle fed)

Badger: The Patriot or the Anthem.

Paasche: The Talon or the Millenium.

Gravity feed is much better for weathering

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a major step from not owning an airbrush and wanting to do custom painting for others. Hope if you do get an airbrush you intend to practice using it for a couple of years to develop your skills. No one wants to trust their expensive models to a learner.

My 2 cents -

Double action is always better. It's all about control. Does that mean that single action brushes have no use? No, but learn with a double action first.

If you're looking for a bargain, check out http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Garage_Sale.asp

Also, properly cared for, an airbrush will last a lifetime. Buy a quality brush once and you'll never look back.

And any of the name brands - Iwata, Paasche, or Badger - is best.

I second (or third or fourth) buying an Iwata brush (double action) and compressor. As has been said, spend the money and get a good system and you'll never have to buy another. I'd also recommend a Gravity Feed system over a Siphon Feed System as well ... not sure why, just personal preferences I guess.

I bought my Iwata system from Chicago Airbrush Supplies and have found them to be pretty good. I'd also expect to pay around the $200 (upwards) mark for a decent brush and compressor.

Here is a link to the Iwata Starter Sets at Chicago Airbrush Supplies:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/iwreaicoki.html

I have a Paasche and a Binks single action and an Iwata dual action and probably use the Paasche single action 95% of the time with a siphon feed. Been airbrushing for 45 years and that is my preference. Have always gotten consistent good results .... but, there's also no substitute for experience either. ;)

Mark.

Wow quite a bit to consider. Does anybody know how the Testors airbrushes are? I can get them at a significant discount through my website. Would it be worth it or a waste of money?

The Aztek line has a small but very devoted group of fans. I've never shot with one but I can tell you that if anything goes wrong with one you have to send it back to them for repair. I won't own an airbrush I can't work on but that's me. FWIW!

It's sort of like asking what's the best camera. Everybody will give you a different answer.
I've been using the same Paasche single action airbrush for 30 years. I used for work and my hobby stuff. After about 10 years I bought another one just in case something happened to the first one. I have a Paasche double action that I use occasionally for detail work.

This page has a ton of info on airbrushes. https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

I've been through too many air compressors over the years. Most of them were cheap and stopped working in less than a year. A couple years ago I got a compressor from California Air. It cost a little more but it was well worth the investment. I'm more than pleased with it. I highly recommend it over a cheap compressor.

Back