IMG_1107.JPG

A couple of bulkhead flatcars.
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG

A load of hides at the tannery.
View attachment 147263
A couple of bulkhead flatcars.
View attachment 147264View attachment 147265
Interesting, the SP car. I'm planning a "Boots and Saddlery" works for one of my small towns. Finished products would likely ship by truck, but the occasional inbound loads would be tanned hides...and of course the empties must be picked back up. Read that as "just one more source of traffic" for the local...

Now I know where they should go to get them, and which railroad's boxcars the hides might be delivered in too. Cool.

Last edited:
Interesting, the SP car. I'm planning a "Boots and Saddlery" works for one of my small towns. Finished products would likely ship by truck, but the occasional inbound loads would be tanned hides...and of course the empties must be picked back up. Read that as "just one more source of traffic" for the local...

Now I know where they should go to get them, and which railroad's boxcars the hides might be delivered in too. Cool.
I missed this response originally. On my layout the boxcar of hides comes from and the empty goes to the north end staging yard. Even if it actually originates at the packing company elsewhere on the layout. Many RR's took all cars to the yard even if they were destined to another industry in town.
The boxcar itself was usually the oldest most run down car that was available, regardless of where the hides originated. Railroads did not want a load of dirty hides in a food service boxcar or other clean piece of equipment.

Back