Western Wednesday

UP gons loaded with aluminum cable.
IMG_3067.jpg

Yes. South central Oregon. Home of the Oregon California & Eastern Railroad, by the way.
Great story about the Jamboree's. The LABC, is that designation for passenger power? Don't recall anything like that for freight.
It is a Santa Fe designation in their numbering scheme for their E and F units. So 325L would be the "lead" unit always an A unit with a cab, 325A and 325B are the B units with no cab. And my fictitious 325C is a cab A unit running backwards to make the 325 ABBA set.

Picture, from Alamy, looking south over the Grand Canyon Station yard during the 1953 jamboree overload. Actual station would be just out of the picture to the left.
grand-canyon-historic-railroad-depot-looking-down-from-el-tovar-hotel-M5EDY9.jpg

Last edited:
Can't be too much more Western than the Denver & Rio Grande Western. Here is an Athearn Genesis challenger running on a special theme day the OC&E museum railroad in Greeley Colorado. I tried to catch it as it passed in front of the the "Rio Grande" neon sign on the far wall. I obviously missed by a 10th of a second or so, but I still like the shot.

This is the loco with the MRC Brilliance sound decoder that worked just long enough to move the loco to the programming track and then failed. It defied all efforts to program to channel number or "reset it" to factory defaults. Then 10 years later I got it out and put it on the track to try again and somehow it had "reset" itself. Working great here. Sound is a little blaring but it gets lost in the immensity of the museum.
RG3804.jpg

Last edited:

Back