Weller Solder iron station #84383~

Trussrod

For those that are just getting into to soldering and watching the cost, Micro -Mark has a Weller #84383 on Sale-on-line till Mid night 2-14-2011 for $23.95 normally 29.95 so it seems to be a fairly good savings. [I'm not connected with them in any way just wanted to pass along the info.]
Micro-Mark@e.micromark.com look for their 20-20 Sale.

This iron only seems to come with a Pencil Tip to solder with which isn't all that great in my opinion but here is what you can do. For an additional $6.95 you can get three more tips and grind the ends to a flat tip so you have a choice to work with.

HTH

Dunno if grinding the tip will work. My Weller tips are plated rather than tinned, and once the plating's gone, it's a woodburner.

Dunno if grinding the tip will work. My Weller tips are plated rather than tinned, and once the plating's gone, it's a woodburner.

I'm not sure about the plating as that may be something new but just because the plating is gone should have no bearing on the effectiveness of the tip as I have tips that are just copper and you tin them yourself.

Everything wears out over time, you ought to see the shape the tip I'm using right now is in! Indeed it never did have any plating to it at all, straight Copper from the beginning!

I am glad I still have all mine from the '70's. Copper tips, better quality, and of course they were much cheaper in price back then.

Say Frog: I'll go along with that, execpt to get the tips we use doesn't seem too available anymore?

Say RW&C: I should have clarified that what I said was considering that under whatever the plating is there is Copper or Brass.

If the element in one of mine goes, then I am in trouble. As for tips, I have some extra I bought way back and besides you can file them and re-tin.

I lost the cage-type stand for my best one, used to have a pad for the sponge.

Back