Weird DCC Wiring

Smudge617

Decided to sort out the GP30's "broken" reverse headlight, except it's not, decoder is fitted the correct way round, headlight works, reverse doesn't. Now as far as I know, and I'm no expert, fit the decoder wrong way round, and two things should happen, reverse on your controller, loco goes reverse and vice versa, second, no lights, except in this case, they do work, both of them, but only if the decoder is fitted the wrong way round?? When fitted correctly, Forwards, front headlight, reverse no light, this as far as I know should not be possible Does anyone an idea how??
As an aside, these adapters are horrible and in my humble opinion, dangerous, which is way a new decoder board will be fitted as soon as it arrives.
gp30.jpg

Last edited:
I think the decoder is in correctly by the picture. If you'll notice the wire color is the same for each position. You might check to see if the other end of the decoder cable is pushed all the way into the decoder.

I think the decoder is in correctly by the picture. If you'll notice the wire color is the same for each position. You might check to see if the other end of the decoder cable is pushed all the way into the decoder.
Yes, it is, but only the front light will now work, not the rear, but rotate it 180, and the loco does what it should the opposite to the controller but now both, lights will work, when in "reverse"(controller forward) the rear headlight works, when forwards(controller reverse) front headlight works

Are this regular lamps or LEDs?

The lights have a common wire (blue?). I am wondering if that has something to do with it. My trailer with common ground lamps do some strange things if the ground isn't there.

These are LED's and are wired in correctly, I think there may be a short from or to the motor or one of the pickups.
I've got a decoder board on it's way, so I'll check all the wiring again before I fit it.
But If your trailer is doing something weird with the electrical, you might want to get it checked out, it could catch fire.

Just a suggestion, if everything works correctly when the decoder is plugged in backwards, simply change cv29 to 35, instead of 34. Everything will function correctly by simply changing ndot by adding 1 to cv29.

I happen to like those old Proto 2000 8-pin "harnesses".

As mentioned above, if it doesn't work one way, but works fine "reversed", just use it reversed and use programming to change the loco's direction.

There really isn't much more to it...

Back