Weird airbrushing problem

salty4568

I've been searching the forums for an answer to something that's strange ..... I purchased a small interlocking tower used from eBay and am repainting it. Three sides work fine with the basecoat of Behr green paint from Home Depot, but the fourth wal seems to reject the paint every time. I tried it again this morning after scrubbing it once again with dish soap and warm water and also cleaning with alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) as well as some sanding, and still have a problem. I shot a second coat on the other three walls but again, the one wall doesn't seem to want to accept paint. It puddles up like water in the corners of the siding panels. I blotted it to remove the watery puddles of paint. See the pic for comparison.

When I received the tower, I soaked and scrubbed it in brake thinner, same for all the parts. Something on that one wall will not accept paint, even after all my cleaning. I'm using Behr paint sample and thinning it about 2 parts water to 1 paint this time. Seems to spray nicely and sticks to the other three walls. Any ideas?

Puzzled near Seattle,
Skip

tower_wall.jpg

Sounds to me like it's had some silicone spray on it at some time. No idea unfortunately what will take that off.

Alrighty ..... it sure acts like it has had silicone applied for some reason .... I'll try again to scrub and then try a coat of primer first. I have never had this problem before.

Thanks for the ideas!

Skip

if all else fails go to a NAPA store and buy a bottle of buffing?rubbing compound...I use Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 and give the part a rub down with it...that might get rid of whatever is coating the part and causing it to repel the paint.

Sounds like you have some surface tension on that one wall for some reason. Try thinning your paint with either windshield washer fluid or Windex. Either product will break the surface tension and prevent it from beading up.

Mark.

I should have mentioned this in my earlier reply:
I have used oven cleaner to strip paint off many models.
Seems to NOT hurt or deform most plastics that models are made from.
Let it sit a few minutes, then use an old toothbrush to scrub while rinsing with water.

I should have mentioned this in my earlier reply:
I have used oven cleaner to strip paint off many models.
Seems to NOT hurt or deform most plastics that models are made from.
Let it sit a few minutes, then use an old toothbrush to scrub while rinsing with water.

Do they still put caustic soda into oven cleaner? Don't forget the rubber gloves regardless.

Salty
Being a cast part, it may have mold release agent pretty much embedded into the paint. Water base paints are really going to be an issue until you get a barrier coat. 1st, try re-cleaning the part in 90-95% alcohol. soak it over night. Then see if an automotive type enamel primer will take. If so, great!
If not, head out to Wally World or the Home Desperate and get some Zinnser Spray shellac. I once had an old car I was re-doing and the paint of the fender repeatedly did the same thing where a previous repair had been. I thought my Dad was nuts at the time, but it worked. ;)

Might try to use some chem tool aka carb cleaner. Use it very lightly on a rag. Wipe it down. Wear good respirator.

Also might try some Krylon or Rustoleum spray can primer first.

Sure sounds like silicon, break fluid or mold release. Could be a lot of things not knowing the history of the parts.

Buzz.

Salty
If not, head out to Wally World or the Home Desperate and get some Zinnser Spray shellac. I once had an old car I was re-doing and the paint of the fender repeatedly did the same thing where a previous repair had been. I thought my Dad was nuts at the time, but it worked. ;)

Wow!! My dad told me about that when I had exactly the same problem when I repainted my 1st car. That will tell you how old this solution is, but yes, it worked.

Super Clean, a strong cleaner available in many places including the automotive section at Walmart, will clean a lot of plastics safely. I use it full strength. And it will remove many kinds of paint including acrylics and old formula Floquil. Cleaning all 4 walls and then priming would make the wall colors the same because final color is affected by what's underneath unless there is a really thick layer of paint.

I've been searching the forums for an answer to something that's strange ..... I purchased a small interlocking tower used from eBay and am repainting it. Three sides work fine with the basecoat of Behr green paint from Home Depot, but the fourth wal seems to reject the paint every time. I tried it again this morning after scrubbing it once again with dish soap and warm water and also cleaning with alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) as well as some sanding, and still have a problem. I shot a second coat on the other three walls but again, the one wall doesn't seem to want to accept paint. It puddles up like water in the corners of the siding solar panel. I blotted it to remove the watery puddles of paint. See the pic for comparison.

When I received the tower, I soaked and scrubbed it in brake thinner, same for all the parts. Something on that one wall will not accept paint, even after all my cleaning. I'm using Behr paint sample and thinning it about 2 parts water to 1 paint this time. Seems to spray nicely and sticks to the other three walls. Any ideas?

Puzzled near Seattle,
Skip

View attachment 39408
Very hard to tell.. Were you able to find some solution?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back