Weekly photo fun May 28- June 4

Looks good Mark! Me next "on the road" project will be putting marker lights in my TRE commuter train, and installing a sound decoder in the cab car...

Hey crandal, did you find the Railroad Detective waiting for you at the bottom of the signal tower? or did you have a good lookout?

"Hey crandal, did you find the Railroad Detective waiting for you at the bottom of the signal tower? or did you have a good lookout?"

I made sure there was no one lurking. This is up a high embankment, above the yard, and I was only up the tower maybe two minutes before I got back down to the ground. The engineer didn't seem happy with me, though. I guess my passion got the better of me. :(

Corey and DJ, thanks for your comments.

Ray, I love your shovel. They are my favourite piece of equipment...they and excavators/back-hoes. I think every self-respecting gentleman should have one of these in his back yard helping to build his garden railway. I fail on both counts. :rolleyes:

-Crandell

got me a rental car to go up and over Cajon pass... It's mine until noon tomorrow... i gotta go shoot some trains!!!!

Thank you Crandell! I have to admit I am pleased at how it came out.

That is a sweet steam shovel... where's Mike Mulligan?

That's the one big thing left to do is to find an HO person to run the shovel. Has to be of the right time period, and have at least one hand reaching the levers........;)

Ray I just got one of those. Before I start do you have any tips, warnings or advice?

Well, a couple of things I learned the hard way.....

1. Let each piece set up (dry) before hurrying on to the next part right next to it...... I wish I had taken more breaks as I did it. It becomes difficult just as soon as you you have to hold 4 parts in place for them to dry without any of them coming apart or knocked out of place.......:eek:

2. Read the directions all the way through before you start, then read them again, then start putting it together. There are a couple places where the directions are not at all that clear, so make sure you understand what you are gluing to what.

3. I decided not to use thread for the cable. The directions did suggest tying one end of the thread to something and a small weight on the other and applying glue to make the thread come out and stay "tight". Instead I used .015 piano wire. A size smaller might be even better, but the smallest I had on hand was the .015". I also think the color is better for cable even if the texture could be better.

4. Have fun! And don't use too many of those naughty words I used to tell my 8th. grade classes they shouldn't use......:rolleyes:;)

If you can't help yourself, do the swearing/coughing/sneezing into your elbow thing....you'll not be heard, but you feel great!! :D

I guess patience is the key then. I just cleared my work bench off and opened the box. When I saw the instruction magazine I got ready ____________________________________________________for bed. Good night, I will sleep on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hol----eeeee----coooowww!!!!

Cajon Pass is.... indescribable!!!

I'm still in awe over it... I've seen pictures and all... but...

WOW!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

(yea, I'll filter through 'em and post the best one...)

Really? That good, well.. let's see the pics already!! ;)

Messing around with photoshop some. Y6B passes through town

Y6Bcrossing1.png

The local has spotted the last car, a box car of apliances for the sears store, and the brakeman has just climbed down from setting the hand brake. he will climb abord the lead F7 and depart.
IMG_3639.jpg

slow weekend. Im hoping to have maybe 2 more of my 10 projects painted tomorrow and maybe 1 of those semi-decaled. It all depends on the visit to the vets office. My cat, spike who is 17 years old has not been doing good the last week.

Sounds good! I cannot wait to see the photos! I plan to head up to Cajon sometime in June.

Back