Weekly Photo Fun Jan 23-29

MikeOwnby

Bit of a late start, but since I had a new locomotive to show off, figured I might as well jump in and see if it jumpstarts anything.

Atlas cancelled their N-scale Providence & Worcester Dash 8 that was supposed to come out soon, so what's a guy to do when he was looking forward to it? Paint his own, of course.

So here it is: GE Dash 8-40BW, Providence & Worcester #4006. Or close to it. PW super-sized their name on the side a bit for this unit, and of course no decals were exactly the right size, so there's that. The decal set also didn't have the US flag and I couldn't find one anywhere else on a casual look-see, so that got left off the side of the nose. Other than that, it's pretty much accurate, right down to the ridiculously large numbers they put on the back of it (same size as the cab road numbers). I hadn't ever seen a railroad put such huge numbers on the back of a loco like that, but it is kinda striking and different.

PW4006-03.JPG
PW4006-02.JPG
PW4006-01.JPG

Nice work. I used to do a lot of custom painting, but in O and HO scale. Excellent work for any scale.

Mike ... Thanks for starting the thread. Your P&W 4006 is a sharp looking locomotive.

Below is my 2-6-2 which I was was discussing in the Coffee Shop. It is a brass model. The old Burlington Route had dozens of 2-6-2's.

2-6-2%201701_zps0td9rj6h.jpg

Working on the layout again.
0d77615916576368582d3126ca1c8a6b.jpg

Production line on the Tichy rolling stock kits. Going faster now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

As long as we are talking about Prairies, here's an old one that I picked up over 25 years ago. I have posted a photo of it a while back.

While visiting some out of state model railroader friends, I came across this little guy in my friends scrap box. It had no render, no pilot or headlight and some other missing parts. Took it home and it resided in my parts box for a while. I finally came across a little tender that looked like it would work so I went to work on it. I has (still have) quite a few brass castings for steam locomotives so the work began. I was told that this may ne an old Mantua locomotive, but I don't have a clue. The motor was replaced with a NWSL can motor and a pilot, headlight and other parts were added along with constant lighting. It still runs like a Swiss watch and is one of my favorite locomotives. It's not quite the quality that Garry's is, but it works for me.

attachment.php

I wouldn't mind finding a few more like this. With a bit of work an old scrapped locomotive can turn into a gem.

Like the ore cars. I built some for a friend and weathered them pretty heavily but they ended up sitting in a box for years because my friend passed away. Came across them last year and ended up sending them to Terry I believe as I really wasn't going to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet .... LV 45 looks beautiful. Vandy tender looks nice ..... Small steam can be lots of fun.
RBMNfan .... Tichy cars look good

Definitely impressed with the 2-6-2's, the weathering and the scenery around them. Great work, guys. I don't know if I'll ever get away from the "fresh from the paint shop" thing, but it sure is neat to look at the work of you guys who do.

Great Start Friends! It's always a pleasure to go over this Thread. I've took some quick Pictures last Weekend, hope you Guys like it. Gary Christensen weathered the Car and the Engine for me.

SOO_4233_Box_1_2000.jpg

Mike, thanks for getting the thread started for the week!

What little time I have had for actual Model Railroading I have gotten a good start on the stonework still needed for the center support on the Girder Bridge I am building. The stonework is made out of castings and stone strips from New England Brownstone. Here is actually the second one I made, newly stained and set to dry for a day. It will get a second coat tomorrow.

LrgGirderStonework02w_zpsqwjfuh04.png

This is the first one I built sitting where it will reside for it's lifetime...

LrgGirderStonework01w_zpsriutn5pk.png

When the second one is finished, I will need to fit the I-beams on top and then see what will be needed at the base of the stone for shims to get everything exactly where they need to be. Then scenery will be done. The last thing to be done will be to permanently install the Grider Bridge in place and join the tracks to the trackage leading to the bridge. The guard rails will be put in after the whole area is finished...

Iron Horseman asked: "Is that a Wooton fire box?" Nope! The Wooten Firebox was developed to burn Culm or waste from anthracite coal. It was very wide and sat over the drive wheels on the Camelback type of locomotives. The Engineer was placed in the middle of the locomotive because the firebox was so wide there was no way to see around them to operate the locomotive.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Back