Weekly photo fun 9-20 thru 9-26

dieselfan1

Lets keep this rolling along

Attachments

• 100_0234.jpg
    100_0234.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 264
Here's an old, from early 1960's LMB Models, CB&Q Texas Type, 2-10-4. This loco was badly chipped, and the paint had even started to change color. The tender was fine. I repainted it for my friend, the CB&Q modeler, and this is how it turned out. When I finish his O5-a, 4-8-4, I'll be weathering this one and the Northern lightly, as was their appearence back in the 1930's.
CBampQ6318_zps05870b0b.png

Meant to add, the detail isn't that bad when compared to any of today's plastic and diecast engines. Not bad at all for an engine that's almost 50 years old. It has a can motor and IIRC, the original gearbox. Runs smooth as silk on DCC. It also can pull the nails out of the wall.

That is one nice looking locomotive. Some of the older brass were detailed almost as good as todays. I wish I could get away with running something like that on my layout, but I have a little bridge line and nothing that size would have shown up on a railroad like mine. I have a couple of really nice brass locomotives that live in their box and get out occasionally to keep them lubricated. My favorite is a Northern Pacific Z-5 Yellowstone (2-8-8-4) which I rode in when I was a kid. Among their last duties was helper service over Bozeman Pass between Livingston and Bozeman, Montana. That was probably the reason I bought it, but then I had to disassemble it and paint it.

Here's a veteran from the early 50's, maybe late 40's. A Varney F3 I'm working on. It's not as pretty as many of today's diesels but it's heavy and has lots of power. The Zamac body makes it a real heavyweight. I replaced the original drive (still works) with an Athearn blue box drive and an altered superweight. I also changed out the F3 top with an F7 top. The cast-on handrails were cut down and separate handrails were added. Note the vent on top of the cab. No horns yet but they're coming.

DSCN5147.jpg

DSCN5154.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey: I like the 2-10-4 .... Jeff: impressive work on the F3's... Dieselfan: I like the Empire Builder.

Here are shots of my Union Station.

E5UnionStation2_zpsc5d56980.jpg

UnionStation5_zps2dc1a7df.jpg

UnionStation3_zps426a8836.jpg

mailandexpresscars_zps68cc074d.jpg

UnionStation2912-1.jpg

1278115_10201715099854320_184869478_o.jpg

Track 3 is now in service, track 2 is the last missing link before Rowe yard is back to full capacity. The train sitting on track 3 is my track-laying train. The hopper closest to the locomotive hauls my scrap: bent nails, small pieces of track, bungled up rail joiners, and broken ties, etc. The coal hopper holds my new rail joiners still in 4 long strips from the package, and the gondola holds my track nails. (it's a real big mess when it derails!!)

It's convenient to have, and it gives my 7 year old a way to "help" me do the track work by moving it back and forth as needed...

I went down to Roanoke during my time in America last month,mainly to see 611 and 1218.
It was an overcast day, so the lighting was,nt too good,but I managed to get a reasonable photo of the last of the Class A fleet.
Ron1218.jpg

Garry Nice work. track layout looks the part of a large station complex and streetcars help set the era. You really captured something I was going for, but didn't get close to as compared to yours.

Meant to add, the detail isn't that bad when compared to any of today's plastic and diecast engines. Not bad at all for an engine that's almost 50 years old. It has a can motor and IIRC, the original gearbox. Runs smooth as silk on DCC. It also can pull the nails out of the wall.

Scott Myers! I remember watching his stuff run in his basement. An LMB, That's an oldie but a goodie! I have an old PFM 2-8-0 of a similar vintage. Many of the detail parts are turnings instead of castings. They will be updated. I finished the second of the Thorington Chassis this weekend. Be glad you didn't fool with them. The 2-10-2 chassis was an absolute first for me: A United chassis that was poorly done. The holes for the side rod screws were drilled out of plumb! I have never seen that before, and certainly not on a PFM model. Made it near impossible to get the hitch out of the get-a-long! Then, just because things weren't interesting enough, the driver centers are loaded with Zinc pest. I got it running, but it will never be perfect!

Garry Nice work. track layout looks the part of a large station complex and streetcars help set the era. You really captured something I was going for, but didn't get close to as compared to yours.

Thanks much! .... Saw your photos last week with outstanding work. .... Eventually, I will install the trolley wires for the streetcars.

Some more work on the F3. Full length intake screens, chime horns, windshields. Finding window glass for these old Varney's seems to be impossible. Soo I made my own with clear tape and Go2Glue.

DSCN5209.jpg

That looks really good Jeff. Those windows look good too. When do you paint and grime her up?

That comes much later. I'm out of my home probably til the end of the year and all my stuff is over there. I have next to nothing here, certainly no paint or weathering material.

... Be glad you didn't fool with them. The 2-10-2 chassis was an absolute first for me: A United chassis that was poorly done. The holes for the side rod screws were drilled out of plumb! I have never seen that before, and certainly not on a PFM model. Made it near impossible to get the hitch out of the get-a-long! Then, just because things weren't interesting enough, the driver centers are loaded with Zinc pest. I got it running, but it will never be perfect!

Do you think that he'd be open to a set of drivers from Greenway Products? That would be my solution, because if those drivers have the disease, they will swell enough to split the tire.

They weren't... but there's one front end loader driver that had to clean up one heck of a mess!!!

Back