Weekly Photo Fun 9-04/9-10

Great work everyone!
F7 #684 fresh from the paint shop and GP7 #450 switch the MFA grain elevator in Columbia, Mo.
stacked1.jpg

Yep that sure is a purty unit there!:D

mmmm...a good old New England coal train...reminds me of the fall, oof i cant wait till they come back round my part of town haha (if they even do that is)

can ya tell i cant wait?

Trent, if the FA-2 is longer than the FB-1, it has to be an error on Walther's part. From all my reference material, both types of FA's and FB's were built on the same frame. The only time the frame size changed is for the MLW FPA-4, which had a four foot longer frame to accomodate the 251 engine and a larger steam generator and tank.

Matt, now that I see that kitchen, I do remember the trolley diner. I sure wish that was sitting on my layout. :)

Nate, nice looking jobs on your trains and layout.

Trent, if the FA-2 is longer than the FB-1, it has to be an error on Walther's part. From all my reference material, both types of FA's and FB's were built on the same frame. The only time the frame size changed is for the MLW FPA-4, which had a four foot longer frame to accomodate the 251 engine and a larger steam generator and tank.

Matt, now that I see that kitchen, I do remember the trolley diner. I sure wish that was sitting on my layout. :)

Nate, nice looking jobs on your trains and layout.

Thanks Jim! (Thats the trailing end of my coal consist in that first picture haha...with the loco i was trying to make the front headlight instead of the rear one to work on while it ran backwords)

Found this old picture from a few years back on the ol'hard drive.:D

Great Northern 2023 with her caboose safely tucked in behind her pushing hard on the rear Q1 2100 the pair starting a manifest freight.

My 3 packs of #119 Kadee shelf couplers came in today. Haven't tried them yet but I like the way they look.

I went to town earlier today and stopped at a yard sale along the way just for laughs. It was just what I expected to find. Baby and little kid items, some household appliances, games, movies, the usual sort of yard sale fare. Finding ANYTHING MR related at these sales is very rare. I was glancing around looking at what they had when right in the middle of it all I saw this:

DSCN1904.jpg

A Bachmann UP 806 4-8-4 Niagara with the 52' tender. It was just like new and still in the box! It's standard DC and looks like it could be tricky to convert to DCC as it has a split frame. I asked the lady at the table how much it was as there was no price on it. I'm not a steam fan (that was in my much younger days) so I'll probably never run it but it's still good eye candy. When she said $5 I almost fell over. I remember how much this type loco cost when it came out new. I snatched it up, gave her a $5 bill and left before she changed her mind. I've already tested it on my layout. It runs silent and smooth with no jerking or hesitation. The tender is the plain version. No pickups on it but there is a pocket inside for a decoder.

Amazing find Jeffrey! I have an older Bachmann GS-4 that I put a decoder in last year. It was a bit of an ordeal, but I got it to work. I had to take the smoke unit out, which made me sad, but with the way the smoke unit fired up running on full track power, I didn't want to add smoke fluid every two minutes. It is a very nice little engine though!

Yeah, I just cracked this one open and dumped the smoke pot. As I've never liked them (just coats the track with oil) I don't use them anyway, so I was none too gentle with it. I thionk it came out in 3 pieces. As for the UP 2 tone gray paint, it's gone bye-bye. It's getting basic black with white trim like some of old SP steamers.

It's standard DC and looks like it could be tricky to convert to DCC as it has a split frame.
Nice catch Jeffrey! That DCC conversion ain't that bad. More than likely you have the pancake motor. Just cut the one lead to the frame, and solder the gray and orange wires to the brush olders, then tap each half of the frame and you are on your way!
I you got the can motor (Plus series) just separate the frame halves, solder to the brushes, trim, insulate and reassemble!
OK, maybe I over simplified it, but really, its not that bad!:D

Nice catch Jeffrey! That DCC conversion ain't that bad. More than likely you have the pancake motor. Just cut the one lead to the frame, and solder the gray and orange wires to the brush olders, then tap each half of the frame and you are on your way!
I you got the can motor (Plus series) just separate the frame halves, solder to the brushes, trim, insulate and reassemble!
OK, maybe I over simplified it, but really, its not that bad!:D
Mine has the can motor.

I'd say rough is a good word for it. It looks like you've gotten a fair amount of dust on it as it dried.

Back