Weekly Photo Fun 6-26/7-02

Hello all! First post to this forum. I really enjoy seeing all the great pictures of everyones work. Here are some pics of my work.
trainsho018.jpg

trainsho022.jpg

trainsho028.jpg

trainsho009.jpg

trainsho008.jpg

trainsho019.jpg

The scene shows a short RDG coal train waiting on the passing siding till a LV light engine move clears.

Jim, I like the shinny new police car! Looks like they had some money at one time... Must be one of those "standard Dodge schemes" because my department has the same one! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
2771-Chris, what a great first post! That is a really nice looking diorama and some nicely weatherd LV locomotives. If I might make one suggestion, the only thing that looks out of place is the track and ballast. They are too clean. Flouquil makes some nice paint pens to rust up the tracks and you can use chalks to simulate oil staining and dirt on the
ballast.

Fred, that Confederation train is a real beauty. Is that your layout? Sure looks nice

A couple of nice new cars, Chris. Never saw a three dome quite like that one before.

Josh, Mayor Rufus got that Charger as part of the "Let's Not Let Chrysler Go Into Bankruptcy" stimulus plan. Unfortunately, it didn't work. :D The closest Dodge dealer is about 50 miles away so the Charger gets to do things like construction barricade duty while the Crown Vics do the heavy lifting.

Chris, Mayor Rufus lives in eternal hope that Washington will be sending more money. The only thing people in Hillside know about "green' is that's what color their lawn is suposed to be. ;)

Fred, that Confederation train is a real beauty. Is that your layout? Sure looks nice

Thanks, that is the Windsor Modular Railroad Club layout, of which I am a member. We have a portable modular setup, that the photos are taken on, and are building a new, permanent layout as well. You can check it out, the link is in my signature. I really need to update the layout progress photos!

Excellent!

WOW:eek:

Great stuff as usual guys! Keep them coming!! :)

Nothing from me yet.... maybe later. Since the weather has been so nice,
I am doing the "summer stuff". I'm waiting for a good storm to head back in the train room :p

CP9302, I realy like your pics (your modelling and your club layout).
The Confederation train is great indeed!

Thanks for sharing gang!

It is nice to see newcomers bringing new talent to the forum and to this thread. Very nice! I have also appreciated all the other contributions. Jim, I like your photos of the inaugural meet. :) DJ, another excellent image from you...such great depth. I also like the Confederation train...very nice images. Jeff, good results on your cardstock shack...I wish I could produce something like that.

Here is mine. I call it Allegheny sunset on Seneca Trestle.

IMG_5145csharr.png

-Crandell

There was a slight derailment between Sundown and Knutsville yesterday. A P&LE gondola left the rails as it's train was traveling east through the yard. The gondola fell over and spilled it's load of scrap steel on the other track where it was hit by general mixed freight that was traveling west at the time. The impact crushed the scrap steel bridge members and knocked the gondola across the track where it came to rest. The lead locomotive of the other train was derailed as well.

DSCN1495.jpg

Jeffrey, I keep telling everyone we have our own derailments & no one ever beleives me. Now, I have proof.
Neat picture.

I figured I would snap a photo of a train crossing the Red Jacket Trestle. The sun is so bright that you can't see the locomotive! Oh well, the bridge is the star of this show.

A progress pic, if you will. It has a long ways to go, but I'm sick of this area. Some day it will have water, trees, a road, and other details.

Some day I'll make some sort of temporary backdrop for photos.

newlayout004-1.png

newlayout003-1.png

A couple of nice new cars, Chris. Never saw a three dome quite like that one before.

Chris, Mayor Rufus lives in eternal hope that Washington will be sending more money. The only thing people in Hillside know about "green' is that's what color their lawn is suposed to be. ;)

yes, that little oil car is diffrent:confused: Smaller than the single dome to:confused: but neat little car.......

Your little town sounds nice 200 miles from nowhere in any direction!

Nice work on those cab details, John. Large scale sure lets you use some realistic looking figures too.

Chris, I like to think of Hillside as being about 200 miles from anywhere, especially D.C. :)

Corey, that trestle came out looking mighty good. That highway bridge will be a great photo spot for all the local railfans whe it's done. One thing I noticed that may be an optical illusion. It appears that the girder section on the right pier has a slight hump where it joins the timber trestle. Have you put a level on that?

Jeffrey, it looks like a Bachmann switch has done it's evil thing again. :D

Crandell, that's a nice, moody picture. Steam off into the sunset. :(

Fred, that's a really nice modular layout. Most modular layouts look kind of slapped together but those modules are really nicely sceniced.

Engineer Spike got a chance to take the new engine out on the main for a test run. Road foreman Ricky is on the front platform, keeping an eye on things in case Spike decides he wants to put the pedal to metal. Police Chief Butch and CEO Bubba are discussing on how they plan to do the first run on the downtown spur. The SW-1500 is a lot taller then the 70 tonner so there may have to be some tree trimming done and adjustments made to the traffic light.

1180incut.jpg

Jim, that's funny that you noticed that! My wife and I were just talking about how to fix it. I'm going to have to pop off the girder from the pier and file the pier down. I knew it was there when I glued the track down but didn't do anything about it. I didn't think I would be able to tell, wrong! Good eye.:)

Worked on something a bit different this weekend, this is a brine works. Note that two of the vats are open, one will be half full of cucumbers and brine while the other tank is empty. Walls on this pair is a scale 2" thick individual stripwood edge glued to form the vat as were the open lids. Details still need to be added to the piece so it will be ready tomorrow. By the way this is done in HO scale.

Matt, I can't wait to see the O scale cukes. :)

Corey, the hump is just enough that you'll probably have a problem with any pair of cars with uneven couplers. Taking a couple of millimeters off the pier should solve the problem. Just use a long enough level to make sure the whole structure is plumb.

Jim,
Thanks for your suggestion on my track and ballast. The diorama is not complete,but I did overlook this detail. I will throw some weathering to the track bed.

Regards, Chris

Jim HO Scale Cukes, the brine works is in HO, yes I do build in other scales, have an S scale mine and engine house in July. Finished with this brine works, unless I need a second pour on the water in the open vat. Scattered some salt bags about and built a cart and scale (both scratch). The cart's wheels are O scale brake wheels since I wanted them out of iron.

Started a second brine works, this one is for the Galvanston club. They only wanted 4 vats but I thought it might be nice to have it appear that there were more originally. Still have to add the salt storage room and shed roof along with the details. This one is also in HO. Been a while since I have had back to back similar builds from different clients in the same scale. But is did make it easy on the details as they were built production style. The "panel" in the cart photo is the start on the door for the salt roof. Those are scale 1x3's cut at a diagonal laminated to a piece of evergreen to form the door.

Back