Weekly Photo Fun 6-11 / 6-17

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
Another relic I dug up out of the catacombs. An Athearn Hustler that despite all was just too cute to ignore. Soooo into the shop it went and what came out the other door was "Son of Frankenstein!

The original body.
picture.php

A see through fan and a nice big turbo stack to help with the monster behind the blower bulge! The name HUSTLER has been removed from the grille center strip.
picture.php

Cab roof cleaned of original details. Upper front cab windows removed. All other windows has glass installed but hard to see in the pics. Charlie "Death Wish" McCoy is the test pilot for the first run.
picture.php

When the Bullet train just isn't fast enough!

Mike, I've got 1 of those little switchers w/a rubberband drive. Was going to try to put in a motor out of a later switcher for a drive assy. Mine is all metal.

Mike that's just way too cool!
Do I smell a new photo contest category: FRANKENENGINES! (Frankenlocos?)

(As a beam of light hits the night sky illuminating a huge MM in the heavens)
This looks like a job for Moderator Man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished the derelict basement this afternoon. Took a bit over 8 hours to build including laying all of the individual "stone" blocks for the walls. The stone walls are made from hydrocal strips which were fractured to make individual blocks. The bricks are Evergreen strip which was chopped to length. Fence is also of individual boards.

The street side of the fence is covered with period posters. The bottles scattered about are lucite rod which is carved to shape when chucked in a hand drill. If you look close at the last photo you will see even a rat on the right hand window sill.

Mike, great job on that wee loco!

Matt, your models are just too real! Outstanding work.

Two freights meet at Roaring Creek.

P1030606.jpg

Thanks guys. I still have to take the body back off to add headlights and some basic handrails and a few minor details.

Larry, this one is the old Hi-F rubber band drive too. After a good cleaning and lubing and new pair of bands it runs well. Fast as hell but well. It won't be used in regular service but since it was one of the first things I bought when I got into HO 35 years ago, it will be a keeper.

Grampy & MDCUSTOMS, simply amazing work as always!

It it just me, or are we starting weekly photo fun a day earlier? I thought it was Friday-Thursday not Thursday-Wednesday?

Personally I think Thur-Wed works better... sometimes the weekend starts early....

If y'all remember my E-33 hack up a few weeks ago, a portion of a hustler wound up being the rear end of the beast....

Mike, I'll bet that baby does 0-60 in about a second flat. :) Nice job on an oldie but goodie.

Rico, Frenkenengines would be a heck of a category for a photo contest. Would make life way eaiser for Mike. "Show us any model engine which never really existed until you made it". :D

Matt, as usual, I bow to your incredible ability bring out the smallest detail in your models.

Gramps, great depiction of the well groomed ballast so typical of the Pennsy before everything went to heck. :(

Josh, maybe if they start on Thursday, I can actually haul my lazy butt down to the layout by Sunday or so to take some pictures.

Sounds good to me! Just wondering if I was going crazy and it might actually be Friday today (which means I missed work then)! Good reasoning too. Though for me, "weekends" fall on random days.

It never occured to me about the day of the week for starting the thread. Yesterday was the 11th and the running thread was dated up to the 10th so I just went with it. A new thread started from the other side of the International Date Line might add to the fun as it would then be titled as starting tomorrow. Just as in our scale worlds we bend time here without a flux capacitor powered DeLorean or a holodeck. :D

Well it's late enough that Larry shouldn't see this until it's in his hands in the morning. Larry sent me the following picture and said he'd like this to be his new paint scheme on his GAP RR.

1970_newpaintscheme.png

I played around with it in my head enough and finally decided I'd try it (although in reverse) on an SW1500. Yeah you know me, Jerome the "SW"itcher guy !! :cool: Well here's the finished product I will be giving to him over breakfast tomorrow morning.

100_4065.png

100_4067.png

100_4068.png

100_4070.png

And then there is this little beauty. She's an ex-SP unit been rebuilt a few times for the UP now. She's headed to Alabama and should be there tomorrow also. Merry Christmas Jim!!! ;)

100_4049.jpg

100_4050.jpg

100_4052.jpg

100_4053.jpg

Congrats! I think pulled that pne off very nicely if I may say! Good job JEROME!
I say a perfect 10! Larry will be proud of that one!

EDIT: Jim well I may add I am jealous! I sure do like that UPY unit! If ya ever need to unload or lease that unit..Let me know...I know a UP guy around here that would just love that unit ....cough...ahem.... :):rolleyes::rolleyes::D:eek::p

Once again, some marvellous modelling going on here. You fellas are inspirational!! :)

Here is mine:

IMG_5093csharadj.png

Back