Weekly Photo Fun 5-15/5-21

The union wasn't happy that I had the paint shop crew working past midnight last night and back at it again early this morning. ;) Finally got them all back together and ready for work today. Completed are a Bachman 44 tonner, an Atlas RSD5 of the yellow box era, and an Athearn blue box GP38-2.

picture.php

0820 poses with its cousin New Haven 0818
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

An RS11, C424 and a C425, all undecs, are next to be done.

Today I splashed out on a new camera ! My Samsung A5 took good pictures but of late it has been using batteries for fun, new set of batteries 10 pictures then flat ??? So I got a Samsung L201, cheapest price on the net £98 but we have a new Tesco opened locally and they had them for £78 which is £50+ below the Retail price.

Similar feature, manual programming ect biggest difference is a rechargable battery on board and 10Mpix instead of the 5Mp of my old one.

This afternoon I added the water in the riverbed so here are the first pics from my new camera

river2.jpg

river3.jpg

river.jpg

Last night I had ballasted and coloured the track over the viaduct

ballast.jpg

But the biggest improvement from the new camera is the video quality, here is the first video from it... Ive uploaded it twice the first is as it comes but is a 35Mb file the second is reduced to a more reasonable 16Mb there is a difference but both files are still better quality than the old camera.

35Mb file (select the HQ option at the bottom of the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI65iRxCJlk

16Mb file
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqkBxi5Lw4

Nice job on all three engines, Mike. Since my very first Lionel engine I got in 1954 was a 44 tonner (not that I knew it at the time :)), I've always had a soft spot in my heart for those little critters. The earlier models, like yours, that have the combination headlight hood and numberboard, are always the ones I think of when I hear 44 tonner.

interesting jeff...

I've got an idea, if you want it...

If you have an EMD shell use it's dynamic brake blister up there...

or put it on the very rear where the GE "wing" tip radiators are... (now that I think about it now, that's waht I'd do with it...)

Kinda like this:

u30c_EMDRadiator.gif

it's jsut a quick photochop using RR Paintshop blanks, but I think it's good...

I just might have to do one of those sometime...

Lookin awesome guys! Hey Jim, nice to see a sneak at yours too - seems like it's top secret. :)

I have been working on my town some more too. I still need some more cars and people, but it's looking decent I think. That's my Model Power FP7 cruising over the grade crossing.

3537405570_779481fd45_o.jpg

Kyle

LOL, Kyle, it's not top secret but, between my crappy phot skills and lack of time, I never get many pictures taken. Yout town is coming along nicely. What did you use for the roads?

Here's a few more I took during the dreaded Bunco game. :) The first is the new crossing gate installation on Central Avenue. the second are some of the boys out bacg of the combined fire and police station (it's a really small town). The third is the UP local approaching the Central Avenue crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, I realize now that each layout requires a PhD in imaging. You don't need a PhD in imaging to take good photos of any layout, you need THE PhD on THAT layout. Each one has quirks that make taking images of it a real study. On mine, for example, I have had to make landscape towels. I spray a white hand towel with tacky glue or something like it and then sprinkle it with several types of ground foam. I then have to tack it to the side of my bench in places or even drape it over the background structures or rails to get something decent looking.

When I image my layout, the session may take two days of taking nearly 40 images and uploading them from the camera each day. I go to the layout, take 10, upload them, play with the best of that lot, scrap 'em all, back to the layout with the lessons learned, and repeat. Most often I run through at least 50 images before I settle on one. And boy is it work!

You have a nice layout, and you will have to earn that PhD for it.

-Crandell

John - impressive river thus far. New camera images are crystal clear. You have to be pleased with it.

Jeffery - looks like the U-Boat is getting an EMD repower.

Kyle - very nice town. Up here we'd add a chalk body outline and a cop car or two. ;-)

Nice work by everyone else as well. I have to thank everyone on here for the great help and inspiration you've all been in helping me get the ball rolling again after so many years.

Some shots of Alex's stamp mill. His layout is going to be one of the open layouts for the 2012 National Narrow Gauge Convention in Seattle. This is in On30 and the scene is slightly over 10' from the white office to the mill.

Crandell, that's a great idea about a landscaping towel. Due to poor planning, I have too much track running close to the edges of the layout. It's impossible to crop some of them out without losing other details, like in my last photo. I think I'm getting better with my lighting and my depth of field getting less blurry. I guess I have to keep working on that PhD. :)

Matt, that Stamp mill complex is awesome! I sure wish I could see it in person.

Gary

Where did you get the Blue CN unit? I love that color on those engines. If some company makes those then I got to know if not then I'll just have to custom paint one.

Here is my photo for the week. I havn't done anything on my diorama so this is a little old.

MRLLocal.png

I'm excited because today I just got a SD45 in Southern Pacific from Athearn that I purchased on Ebay. It will be patched with MRL and kept in SP colors but weathered.

Gary

Where did you get the Blue CN unit? I love that color on those engines. If some company makes those then I got to know if not then I'll just have to custom paint one.

Here is my photo for the week. I havn't done anything on my diorama so this is a little old.

MRLLocal.png

I'm excited because today I just got a SD45 in Southern Pacific from Athearn that I purchased on Ebay. It will be patched with MRL and kept in SP colors but weathered.

I bought it last month at the model train show, here in Calgary...It is an Atlas Master Series-Gold locomotive. Your photo for the week is absolutely awesome...WOW!

Gary,

Thanks for the kind words. Sun light does wonders. The scene still needs some signels, wires on the poles and a few other things. Plus I need a good camera

Tell me, was your engine custom painted bucause I just went on the Atlas website and I couldn't find if they offered CN in the Dash-8s.

Gary,

Thanks for the kind words. Sun light does wonders. The scene still needs some signels, wires on the poles and a few other things. Plus I need a good camera

Tell me, was your engine custom painted bucause I just went on the Atlas website and I couldn't find if they offered CN in the Dash-8s.

Hi Zak...It is on their website with the same color scheme...From their home page click on HO Models, Past Products then scroll down the locomotives until you reach Dash 8-40 & 40CW then click on June 2006
It comes with three item numbers. I must get a couple more as well:D

Item# Road#
9672....#2460
9673....#2464
9674....#2466

Back