Weekly Photo Fun 5-08/5-14

A bit more exterior work

STA52893.jpg

John, great idea for seats. Now, if I could only find shelf brackets that would work for HO scale...:)

Paul, nice job of capturing the typical grimy look of a Rio Grande SD-40.

Crandell, I overlooked your picture of that T-1. I don't recall seeing that blasted tunnel portal before but it (and the locomotive) look great.

Jeffrey, interesting lighting on the #403. Are you sure you don't need another UP unit for interchange work?

Really nice modelling everyone! Those diesels are fine, the four of you that have shown them in either still or moving fashion. :D

The trestle display is awesome! :D

I think I have shown this image before, but I haven't got anything new, so here it be:

Cs-loco-color-web.png

-Crandell

Hey, that looks familiar. I actually have one, and ther'er really cool.

Did a bit of work on a clients layout on Friday and thought everyone might like to see. Still have to weather out the road surface and add some more trash, but the "look" that he wanted it coming along very nicely. All of the structures are scratch and include interiors. Layout is in O scale.

MD - every time I see your work, I become very jealous of your clients. Absolutely beautiful. The detail is spectacular. (By the way, can I get the number of the girl in the store wearing the blue skirt ;)).

Alright, Jeffrey, if you say so, but I still think SD-24's were made especially for the UP color scheme. :)

MD, I'm stunned. I've never seen an urban diorama from you before but the detail is amazing! Not only are the interiors eye-popping but that stone reatingin wall and fence really make the scene. Great stuff!

Negative. I've seen them in paint for Southerm, Santa Fe, BN and UP. I'm talking real locos, not models. Besides, mine will still have the UP paint but the UP name will be patched.

Will, she might be a bit old for you since the scene is set in the 40's, perhaps her granddaughter, but her phone number was CA-482 back then.

Jim thanks, been gradually working on this city scene for the past 10 months, it is 25' long. The retaining wall is built from individual hydrocal blocks while the posts are cast from a hand carved master. The fence railing is from Grant Line.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, I know other railroads had SD-24's. I've just always thought the UP paint scheme looked the best on them although the Southern was a close second.

Alco, I always thought the UP had the most SD-24's but I see that the Santa Fe beat them out by 5. I can rememeber many a pleasant day at Summit in Cajon Pass watching both UP and Santa Fe trains led by solid consists of SD-24's.

Gary, looks like a pretty good experiment to me.

Matt, individual Hydrocal blocks? You have the patience of a saint. :)

Jeffrey, I know other railroads had SD-24's. I've just always thought the UP paint scheme looked the best on them although the Southern was a close second.
I'm also in the process of rebuilding it to resemble an SD26. Not an exact match for one but simply to resemble one. Shouldn't be too hard, build up a hump behind the cab using modeling clay and split up the air tanks and space them two along each side so two are over the dynamic brake grilles and two are flanking the radiator grilles. I realize the UP never had any SD26's but who cares. In the model world anything is possible.

A bit of a late entry from me (sorry!)

But, phase one of the Red Deer Beverages facility (the freight house) has finished construction.

I've got a few more details to add, naturally, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

3522615035_3de2e87922.jpg

3522615049_4b6b78b427.jpg

O scale RGS Ridgeway sand house, started this scratch built structure yesterday evening and thought everyone might like to see some progress photos. Building is ready to be mounted on its base and have its roofing and sand installed.

Back