Weekly Photo Fun 4-2/4-8

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
P1010708.jpg

Ah! 'tis the weekend again.... And a very good start to it as well, I might add!

I have been spending most of the week waiting on materials to materialize so I can continue a few projects that are underway, so in the meantime I decided to dirty up one of the heavy movers of the fleet, one of my USRA 2-6-6-2s. Here she is before:

325BeforeWeather1w.png

and just after:

325AfterWeather1w.png

Just me, back again....

The loco I showed being weathered earlier has been put back in service. Here she is blasting through the lower tunnel at Hopewell Junction:

LocoF20LowLight1w.png

I am actually taking photos to use for a Model Photography clinic I am presenting the 1st. of May for my local division of the NMRA. The photo above was shot just using layout lighting using a Canon Digital Rebel Sxi, f/20, ISO 200, exposed for 5.2 seconds. Headlight was turned on for about 1 second during the exposure. The blue in the tunnel is the painted wall behind the layout. So Photoshop quickly removed the offending color:

LocoF20LowLight1aw.png

I took this one with everything the same, except it was shot at f/32 and the headlight was left on for the entire 12 second exposure time resulting in the flare:

LocoF32a1w.png

Finally I decided to play around with adding smoke to the scene. Not sure I like it so I will do more work with a different smoke addition later.......

LocoF32a1Smokew.png

I will be using several of the photos to illustrate what can be done and how it affects the photo.

[edit] one last shot taken with my 100mm fixed lens, f32, 32 second exposure. Camera had to backed away about 2 foot to get the shot. Headlight was on for just 5 seconds. The medium telephoto/macro lens even stopped way down is fragile when it come to depth of field........ Enjoy!

LocoF32L100mmaw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What brand is that? That is an awesome looking train.

Its a Hornby model of the Hitachi 395 EMU.

Its out of the area of my layout as its a South Eastern train, but I'm a sucker for the design plus it was one of 3 trains featured in a TV attempted to drive a model train the full 37 miles of the Tarka Trail.

Here's part 5 of 6 showing the record attempt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-khDF4vhks

Here's the real one leaving London St. Pancras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrGNDA6Z-Os

Ray, I sure like your engine, and how it looks coming out of the stone portal!

:D

Recently seen on the Seneca Sub's ruling grade, a Pennsy J1 helps a Q2 to get to the top.

IMG_7527csharadj.png

-Crandell

Ray, if you want your smoke to fit the scene better, you might try blending the smoke layer, with the photo layer. In photoshop you can make the smoke layer opaque, and it will fit pretty well with some of the background showing through.

Brakeman Todd sneaking between the knuckles, to get to the weigh station office so the Sugar car can be weighed and set out.
DSCF3959.jpg

Thanks Adam! That was one of the things I was going to try. The other thing that is not right is that there would most certainly smoke emerging from the tunnel. I have a while before I will want to actually use the photo, so I will continue to play with it.....

Crandell gotta love those heavy haulers! Nice shot.

Its a Hornby model of the Hitachi 395 EMU.

Its out of the area of my layout as its a South Eastern train, but I'm a sucker for the design plus it was one of 3 trains featured in a TV attempted to drive a model train the full 37 miles of the Tarka Trail.

Here's part 5 of 6 showing the record attempt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-khDF4vhks

Here's the real one leaving London St. Pancras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrGNDA6Z-Os

Gotta love top speed. I do want that EMU. It is a great looking model.

Hi friends, today I decide to finish some models I get a couple of years ago.

So here is what I made today

Original model

With the airbrush I spray an dark earth color, then with artist oils y made some oxid

Using some dry pastels y trey to get a more realistic oxid becouse of the texture you can get with the pastels.

I don't know if this qualifies as fun, but here is my current project ... a Grandt Line Coal Tower, along with what the picture says it should look like. It's a work in progress ;)

2r2n242.jpg

Back