Weekly Photo Fun 30 Apr-04 May '10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got around to getting some containers for my Walthers well cars...

They are deluxe containers. a 5 pack of K Line 40', 2 pack of Safmarine 20' and 2 pack of Mitsui OSK fridge 40'. Not all of them are shown. ;)

wellcar.jpg

The backdrop looks MUCH better now!!! Did you end up lowering it, cutting some off the bottom? Please remind me what medium you printed it on...?
Thanks all. The medium is Matte Adhesive Vinyl. The manufacturer is Avery.
I wound up taking 11 inches off of the bottom which left only a few inches of water after several suggestions from this forum. It helped convincing my Wife showing that I wasn't the only one who thought it should be shortened. It'll take some trial and error to get scenes right but I'm happy with it. I'm going to try taking the scrap pieces and use them for scenes and do a background replace. I don't know the exact words but I'll post the steps as I try them.

^Well, whatever you're doing, it's working. Those pictures are absolutely killer. One of the best backdrops I've seen.

Lotsa good stuff on here this week, especially from the Pennsy crowd. HB, your Philly backdrop rocks! You got me wondering if maybe I should do something similar with the Cleveland skyline when I rebuild my layout.

Wolfgang, that's a fine specimen you created from your "7 days of fun" - I see you're continuing to venture out from your modern-day WT terminal 'world'.

Here's what I produced this past week: A friend of mine wanted me to paint his undecorated Walthers mill gondola in the colors of my fallen-flag private pike, the Iron Belt, to add to his collection. I only weathered the trucks/wheels and the interior - didn't want to do a rust bucket [even though that's what most gons become after a year or two of service]. If he wants to weather it further himself I'll leave that to him.

IB_gondola_02d_800x585.jpg

Ken, nice job on that gon. Like you say, a little too clean but it does show off the nice paint and decal job.

HB, I agree with everyone else, your backdrop looks amazing! Who cares if it's modern Philly, it still looks like the real thing. Maybe the Y was on a fan trip. :)

James, nice containers and well cars. I must admit that, while they are nice models, I do get really sick of sitting at a level crossing and watching one well car after the other...and the other...and the other...for about 20 minutes.

Great Pennsy stuff, you guys. Nothing like steam from a tunnel and that old piggyback to set the scene.

Ron, very nice looking fascia work, especially with the herald and the lettering.

MM, looks like you got a nice engine for the price. Interesting, though, to compare it to a modern Atlas offering. Looking at the trucks really shows how much our demand for details has changed over the years.

Les, that's a cool logging scene and great backstory about why you need to load those "rare" woods. :D

I know I missed some of you. Sorry about that, but everyone has done a fine job this week. I'm hoping to get the cobwebs cleared away and the track cleaned and actually run a few trains this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin good guys!! (I've been lurking for a few weeks, busy chasing the 844, getting my paperwork into Sperry Rail Service and looking for a place to live..)

hamltnblue that backdrop is killer, especially now that it's been lowered...

and now, one from a few weeks ago:

DSC06700.jpg

DSC06757.jpg

(I'll post a "Best of the chase" thread later this weekend. JUST now got through sorting the 500+ pics and vids shot over a 2 week period.)

Malcolm works Middle Heights. He probably shouldn't be putting his cab down on the scenery--there's perfectly good Velcro(TM) to stick it to the fascia.

IMG_3527.JPG

Thanks all. The medium is Matte Adhesive Vinyl. The manufacturer is Avery.
I wound up taking 11 inches off of the bottom which left only a few inches of water after several suggestions from this forum. It helped convincing my Wife showing that I wasn't the only one who thought it should be shortened. It'll take some trial and error to get scenes right but I'm happy with it. I'm going to try taking the scrap pieces and use them for scenes and do a background replace. I don't know the exact words but I'll post the steps as I try them.

Hamltnblue,

I'm glad you lowered the backdrop of Philly because it is now AWESOME! I also love how in most of those photos I can't tell where the layout ends and the backdrop ends. Cause it looks just like the land ends and water begins. Great job!

yea, that was my HO scale 3985 on the drive rod of the real 844.

(That challenger is now on the For Sale track... I've bought one that's got sound and an oil tender.)

Here's the "Cheyenne" round house:

DSC07088.jpg

An earlier shot of my new Bachmann 2-6-6-2 sitting in the Tucson yard awiting the highball signal from the yard tower.

5-1.jpg

G-KCRV Stopped for a Quick Crew Change
KCSAndothers419.jpg

KCSAndothers420.jpg

KCSAndothers421.jpg

As soon as the G-KCRV Departed,M-CXSH Highballs on the Main with an SD50 in the Lead
KCSAndothers418-1.jpg

busy weekend for me:eek:

I bought a lot of misc stuff last week and started to build them over the weekend

28 - Roundhouse overton cars minus the floors and trucks.
15 - 50' trussrod box cars
10 - shorty tank cars
5 - 40' box cars
5 - milwaukee road rib side box cars
100 intermountian 33" metal wheels
4 - Concor 40' semi trailers in ICG piggy back logo

also worked on a old Athearn spine car train that I bought about 15 years ago. Its the only "modern" rolling stock I own. I air brushed the cars and weatherd the trailers. still need 28" metal wheels so that the cars roll and dont drag the plastic wheels LOL. these cars are so light that a few of the wheels will often skid across the rail if there is no trailer to weigh it down
some. Yes even a truck turner did not help. I also added some loads in my gondolas. I had to do a brake job on my car and had the rotors cut. I grabbed some of the metal shavings/ glued them in the car and home they start to rust soon.

little switcher pulling coal cars from the mine to take to build the coal train waiting on the inside main
Outside main has the freezer cars and box cars for the warehouse

jb7ms6.jpg

Closer to the warehouse having finished it for the most part, added the roof pipes and what not yesterday and finished the cover for the loading dock

2in97m.jpg

Here's what I produced this past week: A friend of mine wanted me to paint his undecorated Walthers mill gondola in the colors of my fallen-flag private pike, the Iron Belt, to add to his collection. I only weathered the trucks/wheels and the interior - didn't want to do a rust bucket [even though that's what most gons become after a year or two of service]. If he wants to weather it further himself I'll leave that to him.
Dang, Nice work Ken! I like it!

Size matters:
Wow, that is one HUGE, but NICE building!

and to remark on the steel mill i like it. did you prototype or custom design it. i too plan to include a steel mill eventually. but i cant build it while i am still living at home. i have to find a much larger place to build in. cause the building is and big as a couple stadiums. if you are wondering what im referring too look up birdsboro armorcast ( i may have spelled it wrong.) its huge. literally half to three quarter mile long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back