Weekly Photo Fun 3-20/3-26

Well here goes, my first forray in to the world of WFP!

I've been roughing out the space for Town Square which sits opposite the station today.

(Please excuse the luminous green paint (and black areas) that's from the original layout made for me when I was a nipper.)

Anyway, here's the shot giving a rough overview of the area:
3376802610_9a8948f5c1.jpg

Reverse angle:
3376805632_d12c14459b.jpg

And the Dinoco Gas station at the far end of the layout looking rather lonely:
3376809020_e49dd9503a.jpg

Once again, great photos and inspiration all. I have been having computer troubles for a few days and just got into the drive that had this photo from last week on it.
7502A.jpg

It is an Athearn SD40-2 with a rebuilt "cab". The real 7502 was wrecked in the early 1980s and this is how BN fixed it. It has Cannon fans and turbo stack. The new end is a Cannon end with Cannon doors and various bits and pieces of styrene to fiill in the rest. I think it was painted in this scheme just before the merger with ATSF in 1995 because I found a photo from early 1995 with it in standard BN paint and I don't think BNSF would have painted into a predecessor road's scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratchbuilt water tank. The spout mechanism came from an article in RMC three years ago on a shortline tank in Canada. The "weight" used on the prototype was a old blower housing. The "water" in the tank is Envrotex Light and is only about 1/16" deep (single pour).

Last edited by a moderator:
Awsome Work

Wow, thats all I can say for what I have seen here by everyone that has posted a picture or 2. The work I have seen is just WOW!!!!!

I'll throw 1 or 2 of mine in just for giggles. Don't laugh to hard..:D

thank for sharing.

Mike

Awesome pics guys!!!

Ken, i love that Merchant's Row, that looks fantastic, and the mortar joint detail is GREAT!! How did you do it?

Trent, those are some sweet shots, i almost thought they were real until i looked a little harder :eek: :D

Still under construction , and practicing with the camera at the same time. Pictures are great for showing where improvements are needed.
P1010384.jpg

P1010384_2.jpg

D&RGW 50,000 gallon tank with hand laid individual wood shingles and board by board construction through out. Grant Line spout is the only commercial part used. Each of the 26 tank band fasteners have 8 parts. Footings are hand carved hydrocal and painted to represent the red sandstone foundations these tanks started life with. Scale is On30 for this clients layout.

Dang, managed to miss the whole weekend! Great work, everyone. Mike, those pictures would have looked even better with the streetlights on. Ken, that is surely the neatest and nicest looking job on a Merchant's Row block I've seen. The painting and details do take a lot of time, especially when you're as careful as you were. How much time did you spend on the painting and detailing? I'm guessing 20 hours based on my experience.

I set to work today on adapting some railings salvaged from a Bachmann GP50 to my GD30 (general duty for branch line service). It required a lot of drilling but I got them to fit. They're not entirely straight though. You try handling a hand held drill with hands that shake like an autumn leaf in a breeze.

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

Jeffrey, they go well with those wacky looking sideframes. Looks like something a shortline would put together for a cheap locomotive. :)

Josh, I think he said they were filed flat when he got them. From the remains, they look like ALCO trimounts.

Back