Weekly Photo Fun - 2/14/16 to 2/21/2016

KB02

Guess I'll start us off this week.

Was having a little fun with the camera this morning. Tried to take some shots at different angles. Black & White helps them look a little better.

The NYC Hudson steams across the scenic trestle by the falls:
NYC H1 5405.jpg

New Vs. Old: Both in Locomotive and bridge design.
New vs. Old.jpg

Well, KB02 you beat me to it! Thanks for getting the thread started.

I have gotten some more done with the girder bridge project. Did some scenery that has to be done before the Bridge can be permanently glued in place, ballasted the lower tracks, and painted the landform on the front side of where the bridge will go.

LrgGirderStonework13w_zps2akvxwjq.png

Here it is with the girder bridge just resting where it will spend its days...

LrgGirderStonework14w_zpsu2n9lqvf.png

Nothing new from me, but this is my helper. She prefers laying ballast! So I let her do that job. LOL

3bXykYWmTXSlpUpQkEn1jYQpEbNLUOtxFoJ8JKT37JkPbfyzUW9nzO7Q7phfJV1z2oq3olgLqtVDMBqcjT7vkWvETIlvC0ZIP50wgJstJ7_Qiv9mb4P_n8Rtyx5qATDUbQqYHvXG1Zd29g8LakR263Lun2A1EmFSZOfua1S9zoPISTh57ape6YgIK110KIsW3Fs54OxuO2QFvmP035DHixNc_ad5IeGzJjifEGG_Lbwhef3Di3bO4OVPbdrw5V1z87pPKqD3MrJ_OGQuRpcyVLdUkt9nAWSsor6a2NgADTisbxcDRflY9vk1iHtnFIM46WwUzdDmJFNHqAlYaU9bwG7iz7fHGwwYqumllgKRkTjIfBU7od20CKh1sohsQD1Nc8DrdeRgE1QiqK2jY69Hh91U7KACW0u7v-7-ZmMvTc4bB2DVtAQpng5r8V2-ZJQ8B666W5G3pzbLhjGWlCOZuvy2cC6drgKieaCj5QZncFD5EgI7daL7E200BJEHhw6bxEzaIAJx3eykp8OSwC3apkK2gp1UtgPo9BIF8RYCLWwOxZ7khLRkyoW0sH12L71sEPzs=w1469-h979-no

Here's where I'm at in my viaduct project. I didn't buy the $60.00 kit to build it. This is mostly a bash thing. I had 2 old bridges doing nothing so I took some parts added some plastic strips and this it the results so far. I did buy 2 Atlas deck bridges. A bargain at $9.95. It's a 34" span.

viaduct_project_6.jpg

viaduct_project_7.jpg

George

Lookin' good George!

Hey. hey, hey! The Girder Bridge has finally been installed and glued in place. The rails on the right side of the bridge have been joined and I have run my longest passenger car (only a 60 footer) over the bridge to make sure everything clears and such. I will check my longest locomotive (a 2-6-6-2) to make sure it can make the curve tomorrow if a I get a chance. Worst case scenario is that the two 2-6-6-2's I use will not be allowed across the bridge. They really don't need to use that route as it is a loop. They will come out of staging with their assigned train and go through the layout to "Hopewell" drop off cars at a couple of yards, pick up empties and go back across the layout to staging again... So kind of a moot point if they don't clear the sides of the Bridge. Anyway here she is with still quite a bit of painting (rail), Safety Rails to be installed, ballasting, and scenery yet to be done:

LrgGirderBrdg57w_zps44kndmij.png

LrgGirderBrdg59w_zpscgeifcja.png

LrgGirderBrdg60w_zps1pqrulwj.png

LrgGirderBrdg61w_zpseazzubvp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Both bridges look good. I ended up fitting a piece of flextrack on the backside of the first curve of the branchline. I keep having issues with that section of track . It will eventually become hidden behind a quarry load so it needs reliable. I like the CVT ties and handlaid track near the front of the layout. But man is it a bear to make adjustments and work on when 2-1/2' from the edge of the layout. After loosing my temper a number of times, I finally took the section apart and put it on its side to reach the track. That worked out OK. I also finished the Philadelphia and Reading hopper I half assembled the other day. uploadfromtaptalk1455773204168.jpg
Test train. The new track works great. I found some issues for tomorrow.uploadfromtaptalk1455773332414.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455773347363.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Nice mix of subjects!
Michael that sure looks like one of my crew!
George, that must be a temporary bridge?

I don't have any modelling shots to share so here's another project I'm working on.
When the local paper mill got torn down (thanx United steelworkers!) and the rail line got ripped out this loco became land locked. I'm going out to inspect it next week but I'm thinking that if it was worth saving they wouldn't have left it behind.
The deciding factor will be the amount of wheel wear, the lube samples, and if the friction bearings have been replaced with rollers or not.

image.jpeg

Rico who owns the engine CN? It's worth a ton of money in scrap. They must sold it to someone just for that.

A local guy has it and he has absolutely no knowledge of trains.
The problem with scrapping it is the heavy torching and the low scrap prices.
Even if I salvage the parts that I'm after I'm still looking at an easy twenty thousand in costs.

Should be 233,000 lbs factory weight. There would be a fair bit of copper, yes but time consuming to strip and prep for best price. Asking price of the loco is $50,000 Can dollars.
The truck assemblies are approx 30,000 lbs each so the carcass is still 170,000 lbs or so.
Not sure about the prime mover weight but even without it will still be minimum 130,000 lbs which is a two crane lift at approx $7500 each with travel. Now we need a heavy duty trailer with cheater/jeep combo at another $7500 and two more semi's for the engine and truck assemblies.
I can get about $30,000 for each truck "IF" the wheels aren't past the wear marks and it has roller bearings.
If the traction motors have gotten wet they need to be baked, more $ to spend.
The fact that it was left behind when the crews removed the rails hints that the prime mover is past its prime so to speak, could end up being just a hefty paperweight.

Why do I do this.... LOL
Maybe I'll just send it over to Toot...

Last edited by a moderator:
How many have I saved? One.
How many have I parted out? No idea, lots.

I really don't do this anymore, but now and then an oppurtunity comes around.
Now motorcar/speeders that's another story!

I found a new trainshop locally last week. Its called Choochoonuts, a bit of a hole in the wall operation. He buys, sells and trades model trains. You never know what you will dig out of the pile. This time I came home with a score. I have been searching eBay for those shorty flatcars. Shipping always killed the low prices. These also are decorated for the Reading. I traded in some of my nscale and walked out with a check also.
1d2be520e7a1480565dd09f4f6b6105d.jpg

I found an interesting hybrid coupler in the industry battle between hornhook and kadees. It's about 50% hornhook and 50% kadee.
308618dc0f0c8fa997f15265aefd3af4.jpg

Back