Weekly Photo Fun 12-17/12-23

MY layout so far!

Here are some photos of my layout so far!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DAM WALL! MADE OF WOOD!
attachment.php

Farm
attachment.php

attachment.php

Management strikes again!
The guys at the Poplar Grove carshops were complaining a bit. That little 4 wheel industrial engine they had to knock cars around wasn't cutting it. Bubba claimed it would slip if he as much as peed on the rails. So, management agreed with him, and promised them a new engine! Imagine thier disgust when, on the scheduled date and time, the "new" engine arrived!
CR2049%20008.JPG

Nope, it wasn't a new engine (well, it was new to them!) but straight from the scrap lines at Conrail. This former Reading engine has gotten a stay of execution.
Heck, after a while it may grow on them!

Finished four "Dirty Dirt" hoppers with hardshell "hopper toppers". The cars are designed to haul contaminated dirt and wear the HAZMAT placard 3077: Environmentally Hazardous Substance, Solid, n.o.s. (not otherwise specified).

I superdetailed the cars with semi-scale Kadee shelf couplers, Plano etched metal coupler platforms, coupler cut bars, air hoses, placards, and custom-made warning labels. The placards, warning labels and graffiti were all the graphic design work of yours truly.

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

More pictures of the cars are here if you so desire to see additional pictures.

Thanks for looking!

Finished four "Dirty Dirt" hoppers with hardshell "hopper toppers". The cars are designed to haul contaminated dirt and wear the HAZMAT placard 3077: Environmentally Hazardous Substance, Solid, n.o.s. (not otherwise specified).

I superdetailed the cars with semi-scale Kadee shelf couplers, Plano etched metal coupler platforms, coupler cut bars, air hoses, placards, and custom-made warning labels. The placards, warning labels and graffiti were all the graphic design work of yours truly.

[...]More pictures of the cars are here if you so desire to see additional pictures.

Thanks for looking!
Ahhhh. UN 3077, the universal code for "hey this stuff can mess you up in its current form"... 3077 is used on cement hoppers too, from time to time.
normal_trlx477_01.jpg

normal_trlx482_01.jpg

Hadn't posted any pics in a while. So here's one of my favorite locos. This was taken on our club's modular layout. Normally there is a backdrop behind it, but the module was having a steel mill scene installed, so it was down to give access. If you look closely, you'll notice a roof right below the bridge. That's part of the steel mill scene as well.

F1_949RI.png

BTW, the loco is a SRR F-1 class 4-6-0, numbered 949.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe I have posted this before. East bound coal train preparing to depart Clifton Forge Va. He is waiting on a pusher, power is not the issue but couplers sometimes fail when large trains first get rolling. It is only a precautionary procedure. 200 loaded coal cars will strain knuckles.
100_3083.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have 55 coal cars & I pull them w/4 engines & I have a strain on the couplers because all of mine are loaded w/real coal. When I was using plastic couplers I broke all of them by pulling them out of the coupler pockets. Now, I only use metal couplers.
Lester, Where is the picture of your loads?

I forgot to put the picture. This is showing only 2 cars. Mine are loaded with light weight fake loads. I don't have actual problem with breaking couplers but the real C&O did with H8 and that is how they solved the problem. So I simulate that. I have only actually pulled 100 coal cars on my layout. That was all my nerves could handle. Now you have challenged me, I will have to try 201. Maybe tomorrow. Sorry sometimes I get to rapped up in my modeled world.

Haven't posted anything in awhile, so here's a little detail item I finished up tonight for a wood kit I'm working on:

DSC00104-sm20.jpg

DSC00106-sm20.jpg

Ian - WOW if its O, Double WOW if its HO. (OK, If it's N I just just can't believe it). Absolutely outstanding. Reminds me of my son' s teacher referring to our hobby as 'doll houses for men' I told my son to remind his teacher I was paying his salary.

Thanks Gary! It's HO. It's going in the office of this model: LINK. While I need to do a little touchup on the drawer pulls, I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Geeeeeezus Ian, where did you learn how to do that? You got some model building skills!

btw, how is the rest of the layout coming along? Is all the trackwork done?

Let's see some pics of the layout?

My Pray for Ryan car. Ryan is a 9 year old boy in my community suffering from terminal brain and spinal cancer. He was diagnosed when he was 3 years old and has beaten the odds twice. Now Ryan is completely paralyzed. All over town businesses, homes, the schools, and cars have pray for Ryan signs up and this is my little way of supporting him. Five weeks ago he was given three weeks to live and he's still hangin' in there.

PFR.jpg

My Pray for Ryan car. Ryan is a 9 year old boy in my community suffering from terminal brain and spinal cancer. He was diagnosed when he was 3 years old and has beaten the odds twice. Now Ryan is completely paralyzed. All over town businesses, homes, the schools, and cars have pray for Ryan signs up and this is my little way of supporting him. Five weeks ago he was given three weeks to live and he's still hangin' in there.

PFR.jpg

It's just so wrong that children suffer those horrible things. My family and I will add Ryan and his family to our prayers.

Geeeeeezus Ian, where did you learn how to do that? You got some model building skills!

btw, how is the rest of the layout coming along? Is all the trackwork done?

Let's see some pics of the layout?

Thanks Mike!

The layout is in disarray currently, as I'm working on the scenery around the mine. I've been working with the Bragdon Enterprises GeoFoam, which has been an interesting experience. It's hard to see any relief as I haven't painted the castings yet:

DSC00108-sm20.jpg

Back