Weekly Photo Fun 10-8/10-14

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Do I have to start this again?

P1011225.jpg

Two Lobuc Valley FP7's fresh out of the paint shop cross Scheits Creek before backing down into the engine facility. Paint scheme was inspired by the BL20's that Brookville Locomotive built for the CT-DOT.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jeff for starting us off again! Excellent photo.

An excursion train unloading passengers at Denver Union Station

IMG_0542.JPG

Nice station image showing a night shot above...very nice!!!

I show a Y6b moving onto the Seneca Gorge trestle.

StacktrestleY1_edited_3res.png

-Crandell

Thanks Crandell.

Another killer photo from you. :eek:

How did you weather the ballast? Did you use paint or powders?

A bit of both. The ballast was done after the rails in this case, but I now suggest that people do the rails last so that the ballast gets the bleed-down look near the rail foot.

I used Joe Fugate's technique of mixing plaster of Paris with tempera powder, dusting the ballast liberally with it, and then spritzing it with water to fix it all in place. I mixed black and brown tempera powder, mostly black, and about equal measures of plaster powder and the tempera mix.

I use a larger artist's brush, scoop up a half teaspoon of the mix, flop it onto the ballast, spread it maybe 6 inches down the ballast, and then do the spritzing after I have done a section of about 2-3 feet. I always wipe the rail tops with a damp clean cloth after the spritz.

The oil slick down the middle is simply a mix of black acrylic craft paint in the small plastic bottles from Wally's, a lick of Burnt Umber, and gloss medium (Mod Podge).

Thanks for your compliment! :)

-Crandell

Nice start to the Thanksgiving weekend! (Canadian version)
Jeff I remember Pacers, some came rusted straight from the factory! (no kidding)

Looks like the boys at the Fuerst Matthes plant won't be getting their safety award this year! :p

Looks like the boys at the Fuerst Matthes plant won't be getting their safety award this year! :p

HAHAHAHA!!! That is a great scene, rico. It actually has a story behind it... and a humorous one at that! Nice job!

A bit of both. The ballast was done after the rails in this case, but I now suggest that people do the rails last so that the ballast gets the bleed-down look near the rail foot.

I used Joe Fugate's technique of mixing plaster of Paris with tempera powder, dusting the ballast liberally with it, and then spritzing it with water to fix it all in place. I mixed black and brown tempera powder, mostly black, and about equal measures of plaster powder and the tempera mix.

I use a larger artist's brush, scoop up a half teaspoon of the mix, flop it onto the ballast, spread it maybe 6 inches down the ballast, and then do the spritzing after I have done a section of about 2-3 feet. I always wipe the rail tops with a damp clean cloth after the spritz.

The oil slick down the middle is simply a mix of black acrylic craft paint in the small plastic bottles from Wally's, a lick of Burnt Umber, and gloss medium (Mod Podge).

Thanks for your compliment! :)

-Crandell

How the hell can you make the rail not reflect golden on the top ? chemical weathering solution ?

Newest pic of my Z scale layout,taken 10-10-10 at the Holland,MI. trainshow.

holland3.jpg

Julien, the angle is wrong for the headlight to reflect off the rails. The headlight is aimed out of the right side of the image as we see it, whereas the rails curve toward the camera lens. Notice, though, that the closest rail tops show a reflection of the blue sky.

-Crandell

Back