Weekly Photo Fun 10-2 / 10-8

Jim, gotchya :p Hoping to get the underbody, front and rear pilots and truck side frames painted this week. Front and rear pilots will get PRR tuscan, underbody and truck side frames will be black.

Some recent work since I got back from the narrow gauge convention. This is Allen's Saloon in Como Colorado. Done in O scale it is entirely scratch, the store front windows while complicated were not as hard as I feared when I first saw the photos of the building.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Last edited by a moderator:
Next up is an interlocking tower for the Galvanston club. Decided that since the entire top floor was windows that it called for an interior. Note the scratch built armstrong interlocking machine. This is in HO. Building is a kit, one of 33 pieces that I am working on for the club.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Next up is an interlocking tower for the Galvanston club. Decided that since the entire top floor was windows that it called for an interior. Note the scratch built armstrong interlocking machine. This is in HO. Building is a kit, one of 33 pieces that I am working on for the club.

Is that the old Ertl tower kit. Now being made by another company I see. Same kit.

Chris: It is the Railway Design Associates which I believe did start out as an Ertl. Threw away the stairs and railings as they were way oversized even for an O scale model. Substituted a set of Grant Line which are much nicer and in scale to boot.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Railway design assoc. Thats the company I was thinking of. I see they marked it up a little bit. But its one of the nicer tower kits I know of. I always liked that southwestern style roof and concrete structure.

Even went as far as to google the prototype and I see several of these are still around.

Matt, those are some fine looking models. Even in HO, you have great attention to detail. That interlocking plant must have been hard on the eyes when you were building it. :)

Josh, I guess the wide body era ended before the SD40-2 was released. The nice thing about the RTR models is they got rid of the molded on grabs and just have the dimples. I must have lost a pint of blood over the years caused by numerous exacto #11 blades while shaving off molded on grabs. Of course, it was always the fault of the blade. :D

Well when ya gotta go, ya gotta go!!!! ;)

100_4648.jpg

Well due to the worldwide shortage of switchers, I've had to change up and do some other things. First up is a RPP SD38-2 that will be EJ&E #666.

100_4651.jpg

Next up is 3 SD45-2's (2 RPP and 1 Athearn Genesis). Not sure what I'm going to do those up in yet. Anybody got an idea for those??

100_4649.jpg

New hampshire northcoast!

2009082217302614645.jpg

although they only had gp7 s and gp9s.......who knows what they're next purchase will be!:D

Let's see...how about an original UP scheme with a working Cullen beacon on the cab, a Rio Grade with a working Mars light, and an SP with the full light cluster. That should keep you busy for about three days or so, knowing you. :) If the market and gold keep going up, I'll be happy to take the UP unit off your hands if you're crowded for space. :D

in the process of rainbowizing an 0-8-0...
rainbow-locomotive_front.jpg

stumbled across a way of giving the coal a little bit of sparkle... lightly dabbling a gel pen on it. I use a silver Sakura Gelly Roll pen; these are available in most asian stationary shops.
rainbow-locomotive_top.jpg

New hampshire northcoast!

2009082217302614645.jpg

although they only had gp7 s and gp9s.......who knows what they're next purchase will be!:D

And who makes decals for those???

Let's see...how about an original UP scheme with a working Cullen beacon on the cab, a Rio Grade with a working Mars light, and an SP with the full light cluster. That should keep you busy for about three days or so, knowing you. :) If the market and gold keep going up, I'll be happy to take the UP unit off your hands if you're crowded for space. :D

Jim, do you have a photo of the original UP paint scheme?? I think your talking about an SD45T-2, not an SD45-2.

i actually found a couple sets on ebay tonight haha im actually ordering the n scale set as soon as my paypal clears

Bingo! Perfect, they even have the small nose "dot". If you could do it on the Genesis or RPP shell for me, and superdetail it, I'd be awfully happy! I'll will make my family give me money and this could be the present, along with a Tsunami 645.

Back