Weekly Photo Fun 10-2 / 10-8

Ray, in the third picture. On the backdrop painted on the wall. There is a sky blue area, then trees above it. Am I seeing that right??

Ray, in the third picture. On the backdrop painted on the wall. There is a sky blue area, then trees above it. Am I seeing that right??

The sky blue with trees above looks like a small lake to me. Besides the possible N scale bldg spotted earlier the only thing I see is the ballast in the 3rd pic piles up on the right of the track like it was from the edge of a brush. Still better than mine but all I see in an excellent layout.

Hi Ray: Is it possible the barn and house are N scale? They'd normally be toward the back and use forced perspective? Without a train on the tracks, it's really hard to tell. DJ.

You got it DJ! That is exactly what I did. From the other side you don't see the tracks well enough to make it it look out of place. Of the many people (Including 3 MMRs) that have visited the layout, no one has noticed that the buildings, etc. way back there are in "n" scale. I guess it works quite well.

"DJ, I think that's it, although the windmill still needs a pump shaft."

Nope, Jim there is a pump shaft running down from the gearing at the blades of the aermotor, but it is hidden behind the frame of the pump on the first photo of it. You can see it on the second photo of the aermotor pump albeit in "nearly invisible" scale it is very fine. It is just a metal rod that connects the motor with the wellhead.

The sky blue with trees above looks like a small lake to me. Besides the possible N scale bldg spotted earlier the only thing I see is the ballast in the 3rd pic piles up on the right of the track like it was from the edge of a brush. Still better than mine but all I see in an excellent layout.

Yes the blue with the tree above it is a lake. Seneca Lake to be exact. The color of the lake is the color of Seneca Lake from a photo I have of it. Not a small lake either, 33 miles long and close to mile wide......:rolleyes:

Here is the photo I used to "draw" the lake onto the backdrop:

Vinesw.png

I didn't worry to much about the ballast back there. It was just so that you could see it had ballast from the other side of the layout..... As long as it doesn't interfere with the running of trains...........;):D

Thank you much for all your kind comments about my work. The layout provides me with hours of pleasure. Just waiting for a date for the judges to come and do the Merit Judging at this point. Most of the paperwork is complete.

BTW, in the photo above, at the far right, you will see a small boat (actually a very large research barge) anchored permanently in that spot. It is owned by Cornell University and used for training and research. The lake is 850 feet deep at that spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, I went back and looked and did just barely see the shaft. It's tough to see that kind of detail in that "tiny" scale. :) When DJ posted, it was apparent that that farmhouse was out of proportion with the track but I never picked it up first time around. Funny how the eye plays those tricks on your brain.

Here's a picture of the CSX local working it's way through the backyards of the residential area en route to the P&N interchange.

CSXthroughbackyardsMedium.jpg

Jim, that is exactly what I hope happens when the layout is viewed from the front..

Nice work, BTW!

Ah, the good ol' days, Bob. Nice scene you have there.

For this week, I have the same Pop and the kids thrilled to have a J Class 4-8-4 streak past them pulling a short commuter consist. Mom must be wondering what's keeping them!!!

5685withskyandshadow.png

-Crandell

Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim, no tripod. With my hand tremors, I'm lucky with the results I get.

Ray, I don't think you'll have any problems convincing the NMRA folks that your scenery is pretty good. :)

SW, sorry about the hand tremors. You can use some scrap foam and make a pile big enough to set your camera on for the right angle. Set the exposure to about one second and the F stop to F8. Use the self timer, get the shot in focus, and then back away and let the camera take the picture. You'll be surprised at how much better the picture comes out. I use pieces of foam and beanbags all the time for layout photos where a tripod wouldn't fit. I took this picture using the same method with the camera on two small pieces of foam in the middle of the street:

100_1624.jpg

Well since I showed off my 1 year project today at the second annual North East Fallen Flags meet here in NJ I figured it would be appropriate to show here too.

Custom Painted Athearn AMD-103/P40/42 in PRR Tuscan with PRR Buff striping.
IMG00022-20091003-1505.png

IMG00024-20091003-1507.png

IMG00025-20091003-1507.png

IMG00023-20091003-1506.png

Dont ask about decals.....stupid pearl paint employee said the clear I bought would work "great"! It didn't, decals fell right off. So now I have to order a whole new sheet just for the diesels. Thankfully the passenger car decals I didn't try to apply once I saw what happened to the diesels.

Oh and Im going to try and get *atleast* 5 more bi-levels and do some customizing to some to create some interesting cars. Also got more shells to paint in other roadnames.

Steve, for some reason, that AMD 103 with the Pennsy paint scheme looks evil. :) Interesting concept and nice job on what you could get done.

Jerome, that's a BB GP-40? You do as good a job on road units as you do on your switchers. Nice detailing and paint. Never saw any BB locomotives that look as good as yours. Are you thinking of doing any other Geeps?

DJ, that's the WS Municipal Building and the cannon came with it. I can't claim much except for some paint and additional details, like the working lights and a radio antenna complex you can't see that's up on the roof. That picture is a good example on how you only see things when you do closeups. I never noticed that I missed fixing that slopped up white trim line between the city hall and police/sheriff's department and that I hadn't filled in the holes for the lights. Dang! :D

Jerome, that's a BB GP-40? You do as good a job on road units as you do on your switchers. Nice detailing and paint. Never saw any BB locomotives that look as good as yours. Are you thinking of doing any other Geeps?

Jim, yes it's an older Blue Box kit. I have a bunch of Geeps around here. When I see an interesting one that strikes my fancy, I do it up. What do you have in mind? :rolleyes:

Got any narrow body SD-40's? I'd sure be interested in one of those in the original UP paint scheme.

normally i think everyone would be gawking at how beautiful your locomotive is but for me, i noticed the rails first, haha. i love the detail, did you paint those yourself? they almost look real...awesome job!

-Nate

The rails were one of the 1st things I noticed also actually.

Steve, for some reason, that AMD 103 with the Pennsy paint scheme looks evil. :) Interesting concept and nice job on what you could get done.

Evil? wouldn't have thought about that. I will get some better pics tonight. Those were taken with my wifes new blackberry at teh show. I was to tired to try and get any others last night. I will be picking up some glossy clear coat to get the decals applied. I might just do the passenger cars since I have a full sheet that will do all 4 cars. And i'll paint the end doors with any paint that might be left in the jar at my mothers house.

Jerome, yes, the newer body type. I may be remembering wrong but I thought the original BB version of the SD40-2 had a rear hood that was unprototypically wide to accommodate the larger motor compared to the smaller motor used now. :confused:

Steve, I meant evil as in kind of aggresive looking. It looks like the type of engine you wouldn't want to get in front of and the Pennsy tuscan red and yellow stripe makes it look even meaner. :)

Jerome, yes, the newer body type. I may be remembering wrong but I thought the original BB version of the SD40-2 had a rear hood that was unprototypically wide to accommodate the larger motor compared to the smaller motor used now. :confused:

Jim, Here's a BB on the left and the newer RTR on the right. The SD40-2's never had that too wide problem.

100_4637.jpg

100_4638.jpg

Back