Weekly Photo Fun 10-2 / 10-8

NC&StL

I hope I didn't begin too early.
The streets are paved, and go-juice is now available at the corner of Main & Terminal streets. The locals call it "Terminal Gas".

Ah, the good ol' days, Bob. Nice scene you have there.

For this week, I have the same Pop and the kids thrilled to have a J Class 4-8-4 streak past them pulling a short commuter consist. Mom must be wondering what's keeping them!!!

5685withskyandshadow.png

-Crandell

That is beautiful Crandell, I rode behind 611 on an excursion from Atlanta to Chattanooga back in the 80's. Great trains. - Great picture.

Ah, the good ol' days, Bob. Nice scene you have there.

For this week, I have the same Pop and the kids thrilled to have a J Class 4-8-4 streak past them pulling a short commuter consist. Mom must be wondering what's keeping them!!!

5685withskyandshadow.png

-Crandell

normally i think everyone would be gawking at how beautiful your locomotive is but for me, i noticed the rails first, haha. i love the detail, did you paint those yourself? they almost look real...awesome job!

-Nate

Bob, I don't know if you know the story behind the one I have, #607. It wrecked quite badly in the early 50's as I recall. Some images are there if you go to railpictures.net and do a search for the N&W 4-8-4's. It is on one of the later pages.

Thanks for your compliments...they mean a lot to me. :)

-Crandell

Nice start to the weekend already. Great shots all of you!

I am still getting photos to use for the NMRA AP Scenery Certificate. I finally figured out that an open spot behind the layout (used for maintenance access) would be a great place to get a few photos. It allowed me to get a good "overview" shot of the end of the layout that I couldn't get before. I also got some shots of the back of the buildings showing some detail that can't be photographed from the main aisle.

Overview07w.png

All of these are taken inside the Lighting Valence. You can see the valence in this one (the black and white area):

Overview08w.png

Here is one of the lighting showing both the 5000°K CFLs used and the blue rope light (not lit) used for night time:

Lightingw.png

This is the back side of the pond and Ice House at Cooley's Blue Ice:

BackOfCooleysw.png

Enjoy!

Nate, thanks very much. Yes, the main rails are Poly Scale "railroad tie brown", and the sidings are Floguil's "rust". I think the rust is a bit light, and could stand an overcoat of something darker to make the rust appear more realistic...but I'll leave that for another experiment before my next layout. :D

Ray, I hope you do well in your quest for a certificate. You have definitely earned it!

-Crandell

Wow great start guys!
I'm finally getting around to paving the roads in downtown Mallory and took some test shots yesterday. The asphalt is 180 grit black sandingcloth roughly sprayed lengthwise with a gray primer, then rubbed down with a 2" block of mild steel to highlite the dips and bumps. Still more work to go I see:eek:.
Also started adding some wee folk to the city, these guys are shooting some hoop behind Bentnose Willie's Bar & Grill.

Bob, love the "57 Chevy".
Excellent photo and scene, Crandell. If Pop and the kids stay where they are, they will continue to see some great trains roll by.
Ray, nice to see your great scenery and layout from a different angle.
Rico, nice job on your streets and road. DJ.

E8 No.5766 is more than enough head end power for this East bound local pulling into Stoney Creek.

P1040030.jpg

Excellent photos so far. Maybe I can take a few sometime this weekend.

Bob, nice job on that gas station but you might want to take a look at that base and extend it out to the street. It's going to be pretty hard to use both sides of the pumps now. :)

Crandell, very nice engine and photo. I guess those kids are confirmed railfans now. :D

Ray, those overview pictures are fantastic. I never realized your yard was that big. I'd give anything for that kind of space. The level of detail you have for a layout that size is truly oustanding. I think you've got the scenery certificate in the bag.

Rico, I think the roads look pretty good. The only thing you need is a few shades of grey chal to make "travel shine". Asphalt roads are less dark and shiny where the wheels of vehicles normally go and more black in the middle from the combination of oil stains and less wear. A couple of minutes work with some chalk will get the roads just right.

Hey Jim,
You noticed that did you? I have been looking at that. Amazing what an isolated picture will reveal that your eyes miss.
Well the guy who owns the station has a rich wife her name is Ethyl, and she sprung ( sprang?) for the additional work. Nice and smooth entry and exit and access to the other side of the pumps. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, indeed, I've taken many pictures of my layout and said to myself "what the heck was I thinking" when I saw an obvious error. :) If you'll take one more suggestion, get out your Dremel tool and make two curb cuts down to street level for cars to get in and out. Customers hate driving over curbs. :D

DJ, that's a great closeup picture with such good depth of field. The train is nice but, being a detail guy, I really like they way you put the bumping posts in the parking lot. It's one of those details that's often not modeled.

Wow! Already some great work displayed.

DJ, Crandell, and Jim thanks for your kind words. Jim what you see is about 1/3 of the total layout. This is the part that doesn't go by the name of "Plywood Central"....

I'll add a few more that I took a couple days ago from the "hole". These are some close-ups of the buildings from a view you can't usually see.

BehindHopwell1w.png

If something looks wrong in these next few (and it should) tell me what it is.....

HorseFarm1w.png

HorseFarm2w.png

HorseFarm3w.png

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW, Great pictures. Some fine detailing.
The worse pictures of buildings w/space under the buildings & roofs on crooked & derailed engines is in Model Railroader magazine. It seems like everyone that sends in a photo never looks at the picture before it's downloaded onto the magazine.
This forum has outstanding displays of structures that look like they were built before the sidewalks & roads were put in.
The biggest goof I ever had in a photo was when the Tampa Tribune came out to my layout for a full photo shoot & story that covered 3 pages. I had left 3 engines sitting on top of a building & never noticed them until after the photographer left. I called the paper & they edited out that picture.

SW, nice Amtrak train. If you have a tripod, try your picture without flash and a longer exposure. You'll get better focus and the picture will show more details instead just what the flashlights up.

Ray, building the station, the town, and the farm on three levels really adds a lot of apparent dpeth to your scenes. Hopewell Jct. looks a lot bigger from the station than it really is. I'd kill for that kind of room. :) As for anything being wrong, the only thing I can see is a windmill with no pump shaft.

Great shots, everyone.....

Ray...You'll be a shoe-in for that scenery certificate...Not only is the overall "look" fantastic...but you've got a lot of little details that make the scenes come alive..!! That's what separates the men from the boys (like me...:()

Hi Ray: Is it possible the barn and house are N scale? They'd normally be toward the back and use forced perspective? Without a train on the tracks, it's really hard to tell. DJ.

DJ, I think that's it, although the windmill still needs a pump shaft. :) Strange how the forced perspective still works in reverse too. I never noticed the size of the farmhouse and barn compared to the tracks until you mentioned it.

SW, nice Amtrak train. If you have a tripod, try your picture without flash and a longer exposure. You'll get better focus and the picture will show more details instead just what the flashlights up.

More light would also help, personally, I find there's no substitute for actual sunlight, but a bright lamp can go a long way in creating nice shadows. Also I would try to get the sharpest focus on the nearest object, in this case the first locomotive.

Back