Weekly photo fun 10/01 - 10/5

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
P1010010-1.jpg

I figured it was time to have a thread to show new accomplishments and whatever you may want to show off, even if it's not new.

I got some electrical tape and redid the DCC job on my Athearn GP50

P1010009-1.jpg

P1010010-2.jpg

I then devised a way to get rid of the heat developed by the motor and decoder. I removed the dynamic brake housing from the shell then cut out the top of the shell with my Dremel tool. I then cut the grills out of the brake housing and reinstalled it onto the shell.

P1010001-4.jpg

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010005-2.jpg

P1010003-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some electrical tape and redid the DCC job on my Athearn GP50

I then devised a way to get rid of the heat developed by the motor and decoder. I removed the dynamic brake housing from the shell then cut out the top of the shell with my Dremel tool. I then cut the grills out of the brake housing and reinstalled it onto the shell.

Are you going build a grill to fill in the hole a la Dale Sanders or Dave Hussey?
For one of Dale's see:
http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/image/68377518 or
http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/image/68377522

Looks good, but it's not something I plan on doing. I could see it if it was a $150 Kato or Proto 2000, but not for a $30 Athearn.

Was there that much heat that needed dissipating? Hacking a hole in the side of loco seems a bit extreme to me unless there was a problem. I would have put an Overland brass fan grill if I needed ventilation.

What road will the GP50 be painted for?

Bachmann decoders ALWAYS run hot when they're pulling Athearn Jet 400 motors. The Jet 400 is a power hog. Besides, I wasn't too worried about the dynamic brake housing. This pic explains why.

I have a spare. I always hedge my bets.

tview.jpg

You know Jeffrey if you made your own thread with all of your photos it would save you a lot of work because you wouldn't have to post everything in three different threads. Just a my $.02

I agree. Jeffrey should make his own thread dedicated specifically to his work. It's irritating to open up two different threads and find the same pictures from the same poster.

Jeff, I would like to see a story of your layout in the Virtual Layout Topic (Thread). That would give a better idea of what your have done and want to accomplish.;)

You know Jeffrey if you made your own thread with all of your photos it would save you a lot of work because you wouldn't have to post everything in three different threads. Just a my $.02

I like that idea. Even better, it could be called Jeffrey Photo Fun. :)

Back