Weekly Photo Fun 1/28 - 2/3

Finished up a small side project I have been working on.

180482_10150391739975368_548775367_17015530_7655344_n.jpg

Presented with the original version of the truck.

168957_10150391740610368_548775367_17015546_4619556_n.jpg

Now, back to work on some road power. :D

Evenin',

Got started putting in the belt drive hardware in the workshop/engine house at the quarry this weekend. Got to use a lot of those words mommy said she was going to wash my mouth out with soap if I used....... Took a bunch of little itty bitty tiny parts over to the spray booth in a little plastic cup. Set it down on a block of wood, went to turn on the booth, and knocked the cup all over the place..... Took about 15 minutes of crawling on the cold concrete floor to find all the parts......

BranchEngineHouseBelt01w.png

BranchEngineHouseBelt02w.png

Amazing how bad the camera makes it look....

While parts were drying, I painted up some rails at the quarry. You can see the nearest rail isn't painted. Shows how nice it looks after it gets rusted up a bit.

PaintedTrack02w.png

I have also found railbars are a great way to hide electrical gaps in the Fast Tracks Turnouts.

PaintedTrack03w.png

Ray,

Well done on the machine shop, belt drives! Now that is some detail work.

Also good job on the track. Where did you get those rail joint detail parts?

Hi Michael!

The Rail Bars are Details West. I use the code 70 even though I am using code 83 rail. They fit better and look more prototypical. Details West has a lot of odds and ends that really help make a scene.

Hi Michael!

The Rail Bars are Details West. I use the code 70 even though I am using code 83 rail. They fit better and look more prototypical. Details West has a lot of odds and ends that really help make a scene.

What did you use to attach the rail joiners to the rails? Are they metal and will they conduct electricity or are they insulated?

Thanks for the pics. Nice weathering and your shop looks outrageous!

Thanks guys!

The railbars I am using (Details West code 70 [Walthers # 235-933]) are ABS plastic so do not conduct electricity. They are glued to the rail using plain old CA glue. I put just a touch of CA on the rail where they go (Scale 39') and carefully place the railbar into place between the web of the rails. In places where both sides of the rail can be seen, I do both sides of the rail. Make sure the railbar is the other way around on the other side so the bolt heads and the nuts on the bolts are correct (you do count the rivets don't you???) Details West also makes a lot of other trackside details that can make a real difference in the scene looking right.

The Machine shop I am just starting on. The belt drive equipment will be both in the "boiler room" (as the story is they just replaced the old verticle boiler and steam engine) and in the main part of the engine house as well. You can see the drive shaft in one of the 2 photos of it. I have to take a short break on working on that as I have used up all my supply of bad words for a couple of days!:rolleyes:;):D

On30 Crew Speeder/Bachmann Trolley Conversion

Well, after seeing the modeling examples here this week, I'm not sure I'm worthy, but I'm gonna go ahead and post pics of my first project anyway!:)

I'm starting an On30 layout with a southern Appalachia pulpwood logging theme. The time frame of the layout will be mid-30's to early 50's. I do not have a schematic of the layout, yet, but it will be a shelf layout two feet deep and maybe twelve feet long.

I ordered a Crew Speeder Conversion kit from Banta Model Works and a San Francisco-style Cable Car from Bachmann as the motive power.

IMG_0306.jpg

The Banta kit went together fairly easily over the course of a few evenings. All parts were stained/painted prior to assembly and were done on both sides to prevent warping.

Once the conversion kit was complete, it was a simple matter of popping off the cable car body, removing the rear bench seats and the driver figure and trimming the frame length slightly (easily done, as there was a crease line in the chassis that let it be snapped off at exactly the right spot).

IMG_0311.jpg

In the above pic, I hadn't removed the seats or driver yet.

Finally, I slipped the new Banta body on the cable car chassis, and it was off to the test track. There is no DCC provision for the cable car, but I may look into the possibility of installing a decoder - there should certainly be enough room. Once I make this decision, I'll glue the chassis to the new speeder.

IMG_0310.jpg

Its hard to see in the last pic, but there is a black tarpaper roof on the conversion kit.

I was impressed with the quality of Banta's kit and have ordered several structures, as well as a wooden cab conversion for the On30 0-4-0 Side Rod Gas Mechanical, also from Bachmann.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back