Weekly Photo Fun 06/26 - 07/03

Rico

BN Modeller
Our weekly thread is getting to be the weakly thread, better get this one going!

I'm hand laying some track this weekend, boy it's a lot harder than using flex track!:p
I'm using 60# rail on treated 4X4 timbers and the length is 39'.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Holy cow! Not what I expected.[emoji3]

I'll add an old one just for kicks. This scene still exists on my layout. Now looking at the picture, I have much work to do in the area of details.

Picture026-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't put one up in a while, so here's a loco that I did several years ago for a friend. Garry, you ought to like this one. Its a 65 tonner for the CB&Q.

9123Rostershot5.png

As always great photos and great work being shown! Grampy I think I know where on your layout scene is. usually we see it from a different angle....

I have nothing new to be able to contribute of my modeling as I haven't been able to get to the layout in several weeks. I have been busy getting my living room from this:

IceDamage13w_zpsfyzd3r1s.png

LivingRoomRenovation28w_zpsndcsnmq3.png

To this:

Lanterns4w_zpsu1lp6tqp.png

Hopefully soon I'll get back to the SLOW.

Keep the great photos coming!

Maybe 25 years ago, I found an Athearn bluebox SD9 at a swap meet that a guy had detailed and painted for SP. The details included Kemtron handrail stanchions and Details West Nathan P-3 horn and SP light package. I'm not sure what I was thinking -- possibly I was going to take the Kemtron handrails and install them on an SD9E project. In the end, about all I did was put it in the dishwasher or something similar and set it aside. Lately I decided to bring out some of my bluebox stuff and see if I could enhance it. The swap meet SD9 was in rough shape from the dishwasher, but then, a lot of prototype SP SD9s were in rough shape:

Athearn_bluebox_SD9.jpg

I was able to rescue the paint to some extent by spraying on a new coat of Floquil Flat Finish and touching up with Grimy Black here and there:

Athearn_bluebox_SD9_2.jpg

Now it's not too far from some SD9s in the 1960s and 70s. I'll add a post 1965 number and use it.

Possibly to try to remove the decals, or possibly just to clean it off -- swap meet stuff can be cruddy. But this was so long ago, I'm not sure, and I think I intended just to salvage the handrails and details at first.

Rico ... Looks like lots of heavy work like a real gandy dancer.
Cory ... Depot looks great
Jay ... I Like the Reading Geep and the scene.
Carey ... Yes, I definitely like that engine as well as others you showed me at your friend's last year.
Hawkesburytrain.... Your first picture here is a great one. Hope to see more.
jwb ... Well, if it is prototypical to be in rough shape, you capture the mood with that SD9..... Hope to see your final result.
Montanan ... You posted an outstanding photo. ... The bark on the trees looks real.

Below is a view with my Diner-Parlor car partly visible. Kids are enjoying a birthday picnic in the county park.

CBQ308A_zps224e8390.jpg

I like all the photos, but Garry, you really hit the ball out of the park: Nice detail in the foreground, realistic scenes, and a backdrop that gives a sense of perspective.

Nice work this week everyone!

I have been working on forming the base of the mountain on the peninsula. This area will be covered in molded rocks, which as you can see, I have made quite a few so far. I hope to have some Bragdon molds coming soon, and then I can save the Woodland Scenics molds for smaller areas.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

LASM ... Thanks for commenting about my scene.

AyTrane .... Impressive ! ... Will it be Mount Shasta ?

Great pictures! I just bought a new DSLR camera, but haven't quite figured out how to use it in macro mode. Says there's a "pinhole" mode. Wonder if that will work as well as the copper pinhole disk I used in my film camera for great depth of field. Then, how do I post the photos?

Always a pleasure catching up on this thread. Great stuff!

Couple grain cars being swapped out at the grain elevator on my layout.

6607449bde30cf36afe55aed08ca345d.jpg

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow...Grampys Trains and Montanan, those are both great scenes you captured in your photos. Good stuff.

Thought I'd share a pic of a grain elevator that I just finished weathering. It's an American Model Builders laser kit. I applied a darker base coat, then followed with a lighter top coat. I sort of sprayed the top coat on in a "cloudy" pattern. Allowing some of the bottom coat to show through. This avoids that mono tone look. Oil based washes of burnt umber and burnt sienna were applied to all recessed areas. Once dry I went back over with an oil based dry brushing. Finally sealed with Dull Coat.
grain 1.jpggrain 2.jpggrain 3.jpg

The good people of Hopewell Junction gather for a concert in the Park to celebrate the 4th. on the 3rd.

TownofHopewell1w.png

Back