Weekend photofun 25 26 27 July 2008

Its weekend again !!!

This week I have repainted my RTR 2-6-0 in more modern colours to suit my era. It was Crimson in LMS livery its now 1960s British Rail Black

outsidesmall.jpg

outside3small.jpg

outside2small.jpg

outside1small.jpg

John
RJR

This weeks main project was to create an abandoned baggage car. My inspiration was such a car in Leesville.

This was the inspiration:

P1010058.jpg

I started with a donated Rivarossi SP baggage car:

P1010044-1.jpg

and reworked it into this:

P1010018.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Here's a photo of it on the layout:

P1010019.jpg

John A Black CRAB,,, Just fantastic thats all i can say, having worked on the east Lancs Crab i am a bit biased towards them.

Jeffery You have been very busy with the baggage car, nice work.

John love that seaside shot. Jeffrey really nice job on the old baggage car , Grampys looks like you been getting some power poles up ~

Hi all: News flash! A train has just hit a car in the town of Stoney Creek. It seems a guy named Joe Dimwit passed two cars that were stopped at a RR crossing, and was run into by a GP-7 that was switching industries in the town. It appears his girlfriend is trapped in the car. Emergency crews are on their way. The engineer was shaken up, but appears to be unhurt.
P1010726.png
P1010740.png
P1010735.png
P1010691.png

Nice scene GrampysTrains! But isn't that car a little bit too new for the context of the scene? ;) Great work and modeling though! The weathering on that loco is outstanding.

Hi Everyone,

I've been meaning to post some of this stuff for awhile now, but I keep getting distracted by new projects, not to mention the fact that the weathers been too nice to sit in front of a computer long enough to get any photo's together.

This week it was raining though, so here's my menagerie...

First, I just finished detailing and painting a Herpa Mack CH613... it's generally the same truck it was before, but with parts from Plano, Masterbilt Models, A-Line, Dennis Aust and others added. I also scratch built some stuff like the stack and windshield visor.
chris_slemp_mack_ch613-1.jpg

chris_slemp_mack_ch613-2.jpg

I've also been doing a lot of work on my Railflyer GP frame, the air tanks and TM cables have been added, and I'm about to start on the air and MU piping. My apologies if I've posted this one here sometime before... I don't think I have, but that's the sort of thing I'd forget.
6-air_tank_1.jpg

6-air_tank_2.jpg

This next project is something that I'm really excited about, I added an Ngineering LED to a Railflyer exact scale ditch light housing, and it works perfectly. I was sure I'd never be able to do this, but as it turns out, it's really not that difficult with the right equipment and a little patience.
ditch_light_3.jpg

ditch_light_1.jpg

Finally, I sent off the Athearn Genesis F7A frame to be milled, and just got it back. I can now mount the motor on it's side and scratchbuild an underframe that will work with Hi-Tech's battery boxes and fuel tank brackets, it'll have a really sweet see through effect between the frame and tank.
f7a_101_12.jpg

f7a_101_13.jpg

That's it for now, there's been some splendid work posted this week (as there is every week) and I'm looking forward to more. Seriously, WPF is my favorite thing about Friday :).

Take care,

Chris

Hi mtrpls: Thank you! You have a good eye. That was a late model VW my wife bought for my layout that she thought was cute. No matter how many times I try to explain modeling era, she's just not buying it. So, I did the only thing I could think of to keep the vehicle and try to use it in my era. I took a hammer to it! I tried to disguise it, but you saw right through that. I guess I should have given the back a couple more hammer blows.

Chris, That Railflyer frame is looking great. I really need to order more parts for my first one.

Nice work on the LED, are those wires insulated at all?

Chris Thats an LED,,, i could hardly see it never mind fit it, top marks for you for taking on a project like this and making it all work

Chris, nice truck, nice frame, and even nicer LED. Like Steve said, I can barely see it let alone getting one installed in a ditch light. You must have very steady hands.

John, great pictures as usual. I really like the way that abandoned track heads off into the weeds.

Gramps, nice scene, but you need the EMT's, fire department for a standby while the wrecker removes the remains, and the police for the report. Probably need some PRR suits to do their paperwork too. Those grade crossing accidents are complicated. :D

Say John:
I like your last shot the best as far as showing of the 2-6-0, moving in closer did the trick. The other shots did show your over all scene and I wanted to complement you on your warf, boat and water, looks very nice. I might try adding a small warf to my layout when I get to that point of completion.

Say Grampy:
Your close-up of the Engine and Jeep, as it looks, is really great too. I'm most impressed by whoever creates the mangled vehicles and the technique involved as the results look very realistic.

Nice work guys!

Here's 55 feet of freight on my layout (backyard). Pulled by a single GP7 (USA Trains 'G' scale). This is one heavy train. Took the picture last night.
Brian B.

5861015474_21C2B6DFA1E4FD1DA09BDDA77001BF14.JPG

Here is what i am working on, a P2K GP60, that is receiving weathering. This is only the first coat of a few more layers.
IMG_5018.jpg

Then I finished A different P2K Gp60 this week. This unit has seen it's share of service.
IMG_5013.jpg

Brain, that is one impressive train. That Geep must be a heck of a puller. Nice work on that viaduct too. Looks like some serious engineering and construction work to get all that level.

Smoke, your unfinished weathering looks better than my finished work. :)

Chris, That Railflyer frame is looking great. I really need to order more parts for my first one.

Nice work on the LED, are those wires insulated at all?

Yes, that's #38 magnet wire, with very thin insulation. It burns off when the wire is tinned.

Chris

slow motion in the West End lately, not much progress.

trees.png

some soon to be oak trees. getting the copper out of those wires is pretty tedious

f7a.png

my son's santa fe f7a passing the southwest corner of the layout

santafe.png

this was an earlier weathering attempt. i got kind of creative with the bumper. since this will be the dead track that houses retired power i figured it didnt need a standard bumper. ill eventually stain it to make it look more like old crossties.

yard148.png

the yard on the southeastern end of the layout

Back