Weekend Photo Phun 01/12 - 01/14

I just Gotta ask Mr. Barkhouse Jr., Did you paint the Up schemed/stenciled CEFX unit? If so, would you mind sharing how you did the red long hood stripes? Paint, or decals. Paint I get but if that's a decal, how do you get them so friggin' straight? And that trailing CP unit in the first shot of your last post looks like a REAL worker. Nice

Johnny

Great photos everyone! I like the "water scenes" and bridges!

A while back I decided I needed more gondolas. After a short buying spree on EBay I had a few more. The other night I felt like getting out all the 50 footers that I have not run in a while. So here they are passing the Cement Distributor. (There is something wrong in a couple of photos. Look out for it)

Atlas B&O RS-1
gon_train_002a.jpg

Atlas B&O RS-1
gon_train_003a.jpg

Athearn B&O Double Door 50’ Boxcar
gon_train_005a.jpg

Athearn L&N 50’ Gondola
gon_train_007a.jpg

BTW there are a couple of problems in some of these photos.

Bev-Bel/Athearn Rutland 50’ Gondola
gon_train_009a.jpg

Athearn Frisco 50’ Gondola
gon_train_011a.jpg

Bev-Bel/Athearn L&NE 50’ Gondola
gon_train_014a.jpg

Athearn D&H 50’ Gondola
gon_train_024a.jpg

Bev-Bel/Athearn Lehigh Valley 50’ Gondola
gon_train_025a.jpg

Bev-Bel/Athearn NYC 50’ Gondola
gon_train_028a.jpg

P2K Frisco 52’-6” Mill Gondola
gon_train_029a.jpg

Athearn N&W 50’ Gondola
gon_train_031a.jpg

Bev-Bel/Athearn Lehigh Valley 50’ Gondola
gon_train_033a.jpg

MDC/Roundhouse PRR 40’ Boxcar
gon_train_035a.jpg

Bev-Bel/Athearn Rutland 40’ Boxcar
gon_train_037a.jpg

Athearn B&O Bay Window Caboose
gon_train_039a.jpg

I just Gotta ask Mr. Barkhouse Jr., Did you paint the Up schemed/stenciled CEFX unit? If so, would you mind sharing how you did the red long hood stripes? Paint, or decals. Paint I get but if that's a decal, how do you get them so friggin' straight? And that trailing CP unit in the first shot of your last post looks like a REAL worker. Nice

Johnny

I cheated on the CEFX unit and patched over a UP painted engine. I did re-do the front and rear of the hood and decalled the red stripe across the rear. If I was painting a UP engine, I'd use the red stripe decals. My airbrushing isn't good enough for a stripe that small.

Nice work on the Bel-Air Josh, it looks like a street rod now. Did you drop a bigger engine in while you were at it? :)

I cheated on the CEFX unit and patched over a UP painted engine. I did re-do the front and rear of the hood and decalled the red stripe across the rear. If I was painting a UP engine, I'd use the red stripe decals. My airbrushing isn't good enough for a stripe that small.

Nice work on the Bel-Air Josh, it looks like a street rod now. Did you drop a bigger engine in while you were at it? :)
Um, sure, lol!

I was tempted to put one in, but you can't see it anyways!

Nice work tom I like the beat up Norfolk & Western, Josh Nice work on the Chevy, Radar bench work looks like it's coming along nicely !!

Nice pics and beautiful freightcars TOM( hope it is the right word for them?) Very nice/clean benchwork Radar
Josh Is that car in scale HO?!!:eek: If it is PFFIIEW WOW
BTW The palmtrees: The prototype for the trunk is made and now I have to figur out the leaves: I was/AM thinking of very small feathers!!? Post them if it is worth to look at it:eek: :rolleyes:

Jos

If you watched this post last week you saw that I was building a platform. The one I had was pretty wimpy.
So I scratch-bashed a new platform out of popsicle sticks.

traincity57.gif

The freight station had no platform and the door was too far from the tracks.

traincity62.gif

The passenger platform was several feet too high and Bette had to jump over two feet to board.

traincity61.gif

Now the height is right.

traincity63.gif

And here's the finished product.

traincity64.gif

traincity71.gif

traincity70.gif

Left one out. A view from the top.

traincity72.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chip,--You got any pics of what that wagon looked like AFTER the crate was loaded?:eek: :eek:

Seriously, Looks good. The bashing is a good fit!!

Johnny

Thanks for the comments on the Bel Air guys! It was my only real modeling effort so far this weekend, but Tuesday I'll try to do more, after I go to the DMV, provided the line isn't too long, being the day after a long weekend!

Oh, Jos, that Bel Air is out of the collection of cars from Wal*Mart, yeah its HO ;) .

Jos OK OK, i added some Tree's and bushes only temporary till i add the ground cover
pics from 13-01 , #15

Steve B My day was TOP after I saw the trees on your new modelled part of your layout.Great you put them on it for an instant( just not for me??didn't you:eek: :D Just watch your pics again...the progress/ the bridge scene is going to be great( also without the trees!)

Jos

A yellow CXT posted on the Gauge Forum was the inspiration for this one.The body is Matchbox stock right down to the graphics.I have just under a half hour and less than a dollar invested in it.I call these conversions Quickits.Anywho here's the pics.

ihc-cxt1.jpg

ihc-cxt2.jpg

ihc-cxt3.jpg

These two pics (below)are for comparison the white tractor is an HO scale Boley International 3 axle.You can see the Matchbox is pretty darn close to HO.In fact it is real close to me. :D

ihc-cxt4.jpg

ihc-cxt5.jpg

As you can see I painted everything underneath black.Other than that the only two changes made were removing the oversized trailer hitch and putting Herpa wheels on it.

Another great week of work.

Fred,

Love the nose on that front unit.

Kevin,

Nice work. I think that CR unit lives near me. A coal drag comes down from the north and parks about 10 miles from here. It seems like it always the same two engines. That one and its NS brother. It's very poor track and they have to go really slow. It's also where they dump the coal cars they don't feel like fixing--or so it seems. There's a couple that have been there a while.

Steve,

Nice work on the hills. Like the bridge and the city scape.

Johnny,

I thought modeling 1 toxic dump a week was the limit. Not often you see one well-done toxic dump, but two? How did that diorama do on eBay?

Tom,

If you got all those gondolas on eBay, they sure came nicely weathered. Purdy.

Josh,

Love that Bel Aire. I wish I could buy off the rack buggies at Wally World. This weekend I built that little Jordan kit buckboard. That has to be the lower limit of what I can do. When you have parts that take up 1/25 the surface of the tip of your finger, well. Then the thing didn't come with a horse and harness (tip: when buying the Jordan kits, the same models for the same price can come with and without horse. Bet the one's with the horses.) Well I needed a harness, so I used carpet thread and worked it around the horse as close and I could to where a harness would go.

By the time I was done I felt like I had drunk about 5 cups of coffee, I was so rattled.

Radar,

Nice drop leaf. Congrats on the completion of the track. I wish I could run trains.

dekruif,

I thought a pick-up was smaller and had this spot in the back for hauling modular layouts to train shows.

Back