Weekend Photo Fun, Let's see your pics from this week! 8-27-05

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone! Here's a couple of new shots.

GP35 led freight waits on a siding.
109979373.jpg

Another view. We added the trackside rail detail this week.
109979415.jpg

And the week's big news...
109979348.jpg

Today I got the program track wired, an additional feeder installed to a back section of track and our old MRC decoders programmed (after much ado).

Been quite busy I see! Looking better every week. I hope to start making a small photo diorama soon, considering I'll be getting paid a little bit more after Thursday, I pick up Corporal. But I intend to submit my order for a Tower 55 BNSF powerber ES44DC first.

Josh, I look forward to seeing your diorama when it gets built. I've been thinking about doing one with LGM for his room, maybe a winter scene. Right now, there's still work to do on the RR.

Well folks I've been picking at this for the past week, a lot to do yet but it looks promising. It's the multi colored saw mill with a new coat of craft paints. I decided to take the Atlas lumber yard out of there and follow Claudia's lead and scratch build an outhouse, then a bunk house with a cook house, any ideas on that?

109-0989_IMG.jpg

Cheers!! Willis

Oh! yeah! new signs will identify it as Valley Lumber Co.

Good Grief! Is it Friday already? I'm glad to see that you guys have something to show for the week. All I've done is bust things up and shop for building materials. The old dollhouse is unrecognizable at the moment, and will be even more so after I start stripping the yukky pink paint off it tomorrow. I'll post pics before the weekend's over.

More super pics, Grande Man! Congrats on the Digitrax. You and LGM are going to have some real fun now, huh?

Congratulations, Josh on the promotion, too! Skeeters??? In San Diego?? They wouldn't DARE!!

Lookin' good, Willis. Don't forget the catalog for the outhouse. :D

Josh,
How long have you been Stationed at San Diego? I was just at MCRD but a couple of months ago, and had been going to 32nd St. roughly every 3 months. We coulda hooked up and have done some Foaming :D. Oh well.

We now return you to the original post...

I just picked up a P2K Pennsy GP-7, limited run. Unfortuantly, Pennsy Brunswick green will soon fall to Weyerhaueser Yellow and black. I'll try and upload some photos tomorrow. Also picked up some detail parts to make it a former NKP unit (ie gyralight.)

Here's a progress report. The first pic shows the original building. It looked out of proportion to me, so I attacked it with the demolition tools, cut about two inches out of the middle, and removed the roof. Lots of chipping, sanding, and grinding produced the new shell.

Today, I'll strip the gloppy paint. If the mullions are still a mess, I'll cut them out and make new ones, at least for the front windows. I'm also working on new front stairs, and a portico for the front door.

Speaking of the front door: I found a lovely scrap of 1/4" walnut yesterday. Does anyone have any tips on how to carve a panelled door?

My plan is to rejoin the top and bottom of the building using a thin slat of wood on the inside, then filling the crack. (Plastic Wood is my friend.)

Lesson learned: Next project will be scratchbuilt!! Tearing this thing apart has taken all week. :eek: I'm becoming much more comfortable with the Dremel, though. :D

NWR #200 said:
Josh,
How long have you been Stationed at San Diego? I was just at MCRD but a couple of months ago, and had been going to 32nd St. roughly every 3 months. We coulda hooked up and have done some Foaming :D. Oh well.

March of '03 lol... I got about a year left here then I gotta figure out where to go. I HOPE to stay here in San Diego but I dunno. I should be able to afford it, considering I'll get like $500-$1k a month for disablity.

Going to Reeds today to get decal set, & solvent, and maybe some more paint and stuff like that. Maybe a few more details for some of my units, maybe I can get somewhere on the SD40-2's.

One from the archives. :D This was an early pic that was taken before all the current details were in place. I ran across it in one of our secondary albums and thought I'd put it up here. Using an external light source, I was going for the early morning look. I may try a retake on this one now that the scene is more complete...

99717852.gif

ETA the retake. Here's a similar shot I just took...
110113809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
jbaakko said:
Nice Grande man! I allways look forward to seeing your rr!

Thanks Josh. I get worried from time to time that ya'll see black with orange stripes and flying heralds in your dreams... :D

The cool thing about the redone pic is that the three Geeps are consisted on the new DCC system and run sweeeettt together! Awesome slow speed control and speed schedules are the new standard. Man, I love our Digitrax!

Oops, I almost forgot to show everyone the new kid on the block. It's a P2K GP7 we got from fellow board member Jon Bentz. The sunshades have to be installed as well as a decoder. Obviously, it may need a "little" weathering to match #5100 already on the layout. ;) This was a hastily snapped pic but you get the idea.

110114629.gif

grande man said:
Thanks Josh. I get worried from time to time that ya'll see black with orange stripes and flying heralds in your dreams...
No worries I see enough Orange and Green (mixed with black, yellow, blue, red & silver on occasion) in my dreams allready.

My picture for Saturday, the days work on decaling #2460.

Back