Weekend Photo Fun July 3-6, 2008

WOW! (jaw drops.....) Some very, very nice photos already, and the weekend is still very young!

In between cleaning house and packing for camp next week, I found a few minutes to play with the camera. Some new CFL's arrived this week for the layout. I decided to try some 10w 5000K Full Spectrum from NeoLight. These are instant on and come on almost at full brightness. They are supposed to be the equivalent of a 40w incandescent, but the lumen output is more like a 50w incandescent. the difference between them and the 2700k 9 and 11 watt CFLs I have been using is drastic. My son was just here and i asked him which he preferred for the layout and he said the new without a doubt! So here are a few new photos shot without any additional lighting of some sceniced areas on the Seneca Lake, Ontario, & Western RR

The first two are lighted completely by the new CFLs. All were done in Manual Mode, f/22, ISO 400, white set for Daylight.

At Hopewell Junction

HopewellJunction02w.png

CoalChute11w.png

These were partially lit with the new and partially light with the old 2700k.

FencePasture03w.png

Rockslide09w.png

I finally got one of those elusive round tuits this week, took a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, tossed the coal bunker (I wish all coal bunkers were that easy to remove) scratchbuilt an oil bunker, got it all painted, decaled the whole thing and now all thats left is to scratchbuild a bolster for the correct tender truck sideframes, and I have a fairly decent (to me, anyway) facsimile of a Cotton Belt class K-1 2-8-0. It's not perfect, but now Athearn/BLI or whomever can feel free to announce their RTR version :)

I'll try to get some more pix in before the weekends out.;)

This is a Nickel Plate Products CB&Q S-4 4-6-4. The original locos 400 and 4001 were regular Hudsons shrouded in stainless steel to match the Zephyrs that they served as backup power to. The models were imported in this chrome finish, and apparently without any shieldcoat of any kind to protect the finish. Even though this one was protected in a display case since 1986 at least, it still tarnished. One side had turned almost black.

I removed the tarnish chemically, and applied a shieldcoat. Then I applied the decals and this is how the engine turned out.

Aeolus3.png

And here is the tender.

Aeolus4.png

This one is of the front, (Duh) and it was a challenge. The Aeolus emblem and the Burlington emblem are 3 decals each, one on top of the other. Talk about a pain.

Aeolus6.png

The owner and I discussed whether I should have painted the anti-climber a grey color or not since a majority of the pix available show it darker than the rest of the loco. We decided to leave it as is, since the chrome, although nice, isn't stainless steel:rolleyes:.

Interesting point about this model is that the cab interior is also chromed and in reading about the prototype, we discovered that the cab interior was actually painted silver!:D

I balanced the loco after decaling and where before it had trouble pulling 2 80' passenger cars, it now handles 10 easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started building my diorama this afternoon. It's a 2' X 4' 2" Styrofoam base, first I painted it an earth color.

100_2449.jpg

Next I used latex caulk to glue down the 2 mainline's cork roadbed.

100_2450.jpg

Used Atlas code 83 flex track, painted the sides.

100_2451.jpg

Ballasted the 2 mainlines a light gray and the 2 factory tracks a dark gray.

100_2452.jpg

Put the first of the ground foam down for grass and dirt parking lot. The rest will have to wait until all is dry and I can place the buildings down.

100_2453.jpg

Jerome nice start. Glad to see you do other things other then painting engines. Can't wait to see how it turns out. If it stands up to your engine quality, it will be great.

Nice Jerome, I just hope its only a display/photo thing, as that track is CLOSE to the front edge!

Ron,

I hope I remember how to do all of this stuff. It's been a lot of years since I've put an actual layout together (although it's a small one).

Josh,

No it's just for pictures. I put the 2 mainlines close to that edge and up on cork so they could hide the back edge and the drop-off. Hopefully I can find somewhere close by where I can get the actual scenery to blend in with the diorama.

Great work gents
Jeffery That A/C unit looks like a huge office block, like the guy in Florida uses

Bob, I think I've taken pictures just like that railfanning. Of course, I was much younger and dumber then. :)

Crandell, I'm glad the guys got the Y6b stopped in time or that horse would have been on the way to the glue factory. Nice picture and an interesting subject.

John, great progress on that dock scene. The picture of the crane against the evening sky looks fantastic!

Ray, either you've gotten a better camera or those new lights really do a good job of bringing out the natural colors of your layout. Were you able to buy them locally or did you have to get them on-line?

Bradley, nice kitbash on that 2-8-0. I really like mine and have been thinking of kitbashing a UP version so I'll need to either build an oil tank or get a vanderbilt tender, depending on what class and era I choose. Like you say though, as you get done with a kitbash, someone announces an RTR model of what you've just done. :D

Jerome, nice start on that diorama. I'm sure you'll be able to get some nice outdoor shots using it and your trains.

Jeffrey, now I know what was wrong with our little league field in Ohio. The parks board didn't put in an air conditioner. No wonder I was always hot. :0 Nice picture, makes me think of those childhood days again.

Hey, Mike, nice to see you again. Did you see another fellow from Chile has also joined up here?

Last edited by a moderator:
More progress today on the diorama. Most of the grass, dirt and ballast is down (still drying).

100_2454.jpg

Put a few items on it to show where I'm going with the entire scene. Tons of detail items yet to go on, but gotta wait for that Elmer's glue to dry!!! LOL

100_2455.jpg

Ray, either you've gotten a better camera or those new lights really do a good job of bringing out the natural colors of your layout. Were you able to buy them locally or did you have to get them on-line?

Same old Cannon Digital Rebel Xt. Even with the camera set to Incandescent (2700K) it was still too yellow and I used to play around to try to get it too look right. A friend that I e-mail the photos to last night accused me of moving the layout outdoors (he knows that didn't happen....) I got the lights from here:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/Neolite-Compact-Fluorescents/

They are making some big improvements today in the color abilities of CFLs as well. Both the old ones and the new were supposed to have a CRI of 82.

I finally finished detailing another 6 vehicles for my military train. This week I will be working on Hummer's and artillery cannons.

100_2458.jpg

100_2460.jpg

100_2459.jpg

Jerome awesome diorama

only criticism is with the military vehicles. The antennas would be folded down and strapped for transport.

Well My weekend is going good. I just won A SP GP38-2 and Two D&RGW GP40-2's for under 50 dollars each, I felt that My collection was missing a few GP's as the Rio Grande ran alot of them and well I only had one Low hooded Geep in my collection, A BNSF GP38-2.

Back