Weekend Photo Fun Jan 25-26-27

Bob that still is awesome work. I am going to have work on making the ties look like that on a bridge.

Well its Sunday night and I think its safe to say the midweek 40th Birthday festivities have come to an end. (except for the weekend on the jacobite express in May that Mrs RJR suprised me with)

I ve added a rake of post carriages with some money my parents gave me,

S7003272.jpg

What a good do was had on Friday. We went for a meal with 4 other couples who thought it would be fun to set me up with a game of Pass The Parcel. It was rigged for me to get the parcel at the end which contained a Bachmann 37 with sound that they had all chipped in to buy me !!! :eek: :eek: :lol:

S7003286.jpg

S7003287.jpg

Ive not heard it yet as my Dynamis is still on return to Bachmann.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday working on the switching for my signals and added some buffer stop lights that still need some detailing

S7003273.jpg

S7003263.jpg

S7003267.jpg

John
RJR

John
3happybday2-1.gif
congrats.gif

Happy birthday, sounds great to me, all i got was chocolate !!!

Anyway built a yard for the heavy plant sales and hire business,,, they are very resourcefull when it comes to fencing, they got a load of old concrete panels for free so they planted them in the ground as a wall / fence, they have got a bit battered recently due to the increase in size of the plant, the biggest is ex Iron Belt RB dragline. the white blobs are glue thats not set yet, it'll all disapear under vegetation anyway, were going for the overgrown look which is in this year
10-08-07042-3.jpg

10-08-07045-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot, the message I was typing just disappeared. Happy 40th, John, looks like you got a nice haul. I get yard tools for my birthday. :)

Steve, I like that sheet metal fence. Nice construction equipment too.

Bob, I still think that's a prototype photo you're trying to foist off on us. :D. The worst part is that you were doing work that goo 20 years ago. That means I should be able to do as well as you were 20 years ago when I'm about 80. I wonder if the nursing home will let me have a layout. :D

Jerome, if you manage to duplicate that CSX engine, I will officially crown you King of Wrecks. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Sorry for other folks I missed but I'm too tired to go back over three pages again.

Excellent work everyone. I've been working on my Via LRC cars this week. They are almost done in the paint shop. A coat of Future and they'll be ready for decals.

I also took some time on Saturday to run my two CPR GP40X's. These are very nice RTR models from Athearn. One day I plan to do a little kit bashing to make them more accurate to their CPR prototypes.

Thats a mixed bag of paint jobs

bit of foliage down, i have to watch what i use as anything like real tree branches, or plant matter will not get through customs MAF inspection when we go to New Zealand, so it's gotta be 100% man made stuff, thats easier said than done, i'm more than happy with the match with the back scene.
10-08-07087-1.jpg

My son and I went to the Whippany Railway Museum for a quick afternoon trip, and then to the hobby shop. Here's a few shots I took.

Here's the only steam engine they have there. It's an 0-6-0 ALCO switcher.
View attachment 8426

This next one is the small crane they have.
View attachment 8427

And now the huge MOW crane they have on display... fully restored to original paint scheme and markings.:p
View attachment 8428

This is one of the many cabeese they have in the yard. A Jersey Central.
View attachment 8429

I have a few more to share...

I have a few more from the museum.

When they're talking about short line railroads I think this is the ultimate in short:eek:
View attachment 8430

I tried to get a shot of the nice PRR N5C caboose they have , but it was tight quarters. The sign said it's the second oldest still in existence.
View attachment 8431

Here's another picture of the front of the ALCO switcher.
View attachment 8432

Well... That's the end of the line.
View attachment 8433

It was a nice outing in the afternoon.

Springfield show

OK, so I did go to the Springfield (MA) "Big Railroad Hobby Show" and I did take pictures. This system only allows 4 pictures at a time, so I'll make several postings out of it, unless people beg me to stop. I didn't take notes, so I have no way to credit the people who made the models.

1 is "Blue on Blue".
2 and 3 are a working Scherzer rolling lift bridge. I have one of these under construction, so I'm interested in this, especially the mechanism. This is O scale, though, so they can use components out of gear catalogs more easily than us HO folks.
4 is just "industrial clutter".

Well, it's been a while, but this weekend I have something to share.

I have just completed three new boxcar projects; the first two are former Clarendon and Pittsford boxcars restenciled for the modern NYCS, while the third is a former Erie Western car restenciled for GMRC, modeled after a prototype car. All cars were stripped, painted, decaled, and weathered by your's truly.

NYCS 255106:

NYCS255106_1.jpg

NYCS255106_2.jpg

NYCS255106_3.jpg

NYCS 255127:

NYCS255127_1.jpg

NYCS255127_2.jpg

NYCS255127_3.jpg

GMRC 25036:

GMRC25036_1.jpg

GMRC25036_2.jpg

GMRC25036_3.jpg

The lineup:

lineup1.jpg

lineup2.jpg

lineup3.jpg

Also while at the club today, the NYCS got to run a stack train...

containertrain1.jpg

containertrain2.jpg

containertrain3.jpg

containertrain4.jpg

containertrain5.jpg

containertrain6.jpg

Quite a few really nice pictures this week, keep up the good work everyone.

My wife and I took our daughter out for a little fun in the snow today. I made sure to make my way over to the tracks that lead West out of town to click off some pictures of a few tipped cars from many moons ago.

2224522343_e53deca254_o.jpg

2224522337_c5c09b09df_o.jpg

Anyone ever had something like this on their layouts?

Excellent work everyone. I've been working on my Via LRC cars this week. They are almost done in the paint shop. A coat of Future and they'll be ready for decals.

I also took some time on Saturday to run my two CPR GP40X's. These are very nice RTR models from Athearn. One day I plan to do a little kit bashing to make them more accurate to their CPR prototypes.

Hey Fred, my old kits look good... How much again for them built now... :p...

Also what did you do to the signals for HO tower, 2 of the 3 are red, and there is no train in sight... oh well looks like we will have to fix that up before Essex this year... Oh yeah, i got the crane you told me to get for Burden.

Nice pics of the show in Springfield, John P. Looks like quite a crowds and some nice dioramas. Run across any good deals while you were there?

Very nice weathering, mtrpls. When they are lined up together, they really do look like the average siding we see today. Kind of sad in a way. Those NYC units look good but somehow I just can't get my mind wrapped around NYC units and stack trains. The Oakway demos look like they just came off the line. I know they got filthy toward the end but I do like the look of them when they were new.

Carl, where and what is that railroad? I'm amazed that the EPA or someone isn't raising a stink about removing all the derailment debris. I would think they would be worth removing for rebuilding or at least the scrap value.

Ron, that's a weird looking 0-6-0. I think it's the only one I've seen with a boiler tube pilot. I wonder if it was built that way or added later? I like that giant wrecker they have standing by. :)

Got a few things done this week. Got the Farmer's Market set up at the feed mill. Some locals and tourists stopped by to see what was available:

FarmersMarketMedium.jpg

Been getting some more DCC decoders in my engines. Here's a shot of the CSX local headed by U30-C 7256 and the 4436, a GP-35, on a local headed out of town:

CSXCrossingFirstStMedium.jpg

This is the lead engine creeping through the back yards of Hillside on the way out to the countryside:

CSXthroughbackyardsMedium.jpg

There were some complaints about the width of the loading platform at the team track so the P&N sprung for a wider concrete platform and recovered some of the cost by selling the old platform to the paint company down the road:

TeamTrack2Medium.jpg

Finally, the citizens of Hillside will now be able to follow the news much better since the Rexall has opened a news rack in front of the store:

NewstandMedium.jpg

Have a good week, everyone.

Those NYC units look good but somehow I just can't get my mind wrapped around NYC units and stack trains.

Funny. I can't get my mind wrapped around anything other than NYC units pulling stack trains. Perhaps that's why I've taken this concept so far, with no plans of turning back. :p

myowngod, what hobby shop did you goto after whippany? i've been trying to check out some. What kind of passenger equipment was there?

some good shops i've checked out in nj.
model railway post office in west milford (awesome shop, lots of inventory/constantly getting new stuff in, great bunch of guys/owners)
the model railroad shop in piscataway (have some hard to find things)
the loose caboose in bogota.(LOTS of HO stuff, but impossible to navigate the store)

hudson shores in blauvelt,ny is a nice shop. small inventory but decent. lots of lionel stuff and scenery details. its fun listening to the owners(married couple) argue. can get quiet entertaining lol. but they are very nice people and will work with you to find anyhting they can.

myowngod, what hobby shop did you goto after Whippany? I've been trying to check out some. What kind of passenger equipment was there?

We went to F&M Hobby shop. It's on Rt10 in Denville. Alot of stock, Many HO and N. Fred the owner is a nice guy too. I'll have to check out a few of the ones you mentioned... thanks.

Whippany has a variety of passenger cars. Here's a shot of about 1/4 of what they have.
View attachment 8443

Back