Weekend Photo Fun for 5/16 - 5/18

Iron Horseman

What are you doing this weekend?

I have often talked about the Oregon California & Eastern (OC&E) ore train at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum. Last weekend was Union Pacific Days. We had 34 extra trains and I conceded the engineering jobs to the owners of those trains and our guest operators Neil Besougloff and Jim Hediger. I was the 2nd shift crew caller. When I wasn't on-duty for crew call I had time to actually take photographs. Engineers are not allowed to talk on cell phones, text, or take photos. So it is "make up day" for photos and here is a video of one of my normal assignments, train #251, the ore train. In this scene it is departing Lakeview headed for the T&T district (trestle & tunnel). Normally there are 4 GN U33Cs on the point, so the UP power is an anomaly of the special day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXAiuwDtNN4&feature=youtu.be <<--Edit: Thanks to Mike Arnold. This link works.

[video]http://www.walkersquawker.net/video/00268.mp4[/video]
Well, I obviously have no idea how videos work on the world wide web. I read .mp4 was a web video format, but don't click the above link unless you want to wait 7 minutes for it to download. I'll have to read up on how the click and play stuff works.

Here are some normal photos:
UnionPacificDay.jpgPanned Centenial.jpgFEFGrey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you doing this weekend?

Well, I obviously have no idea how videos work on the world wide web. I read .mp4 was a web video format, but don't click the above link unless you want to wait 7 minutes for it to download. I'll have to read up on how the click and play stuff works.

]

Hello,

We are moving into the new house so dismantled and salvaged almost all of the old layout and will be moving furniture this weekend.

Chomping at the bit to get my new benchwork in. I was thinking about the Photo Fun last night; Great to See you are on the ball!!!!

As far as video uploads go, you are not alone. It took me a lot of trial and error to figure out youtube. A video that is 15 minutes long can take 12 hours to upload. The 1 or 2 minute videos, an hour.

Your photos look great!!

lasm

... and our guest operators Neil Besougloff and Jim Hediger.

Hmmm... Methinks the operation will be the subject of a future Model Railroader article... So will you-all be the next Rod Stewart? :)

Seriously, nice work -- That emerging from the tunnel shot is excellent.

Thanks all. I've always had a hard time doing photography at the museum. As you can tell by the photo with the UP flag in the background that the walls and ceilings are black. The lighting is just obnoxious for taking pictures. As I actually had more time than ever before, I tried different things like reflection flashes and using high ASA 3200. On the DD40X I turned on the stabilizer and did pan shots. Over all I was please with the results but still need to do more work as the 3200 ASA makes them grainy when they are made larger.

UP4034onTrestle.jpg UPE8.jpg UPtwoDD40x.jpg

I think we had more DD40X on the layout than the real railroad had. That actually surprised me. I expected the Big Boys to be the ones out in mass quantities.

Here's another coal train with a SD70MAC and very unique EMD 3. As a test its HTC trucks were replaced with radial trucks. It was leased by BN and BNSF for many years.

9598-900 copy.jpg

Iron Horse great shots. Isn't the museum in Union Station? Another reason to go back to Colorado.

OK .. I'm too lazy to count.
How many cars on that ore train?
eighty (80), but it is not even close to being the longest train at the museum. The "glow worm" tank train and many of the merchandisers are longer. They have fewer cars, but the cars are longer than the 21' each for the ore cars.

Iron Horse great shots. Isn't the museum in Union Station? Another reason to go back to Colorado.
No. My club layout (Platte Valley & Western) was in Denver Union Station, but it was razed just a little over a year ago by the developer of the renovation. This is in Greeley Colorado (about 60 miles NE of Denver), formerly the name was Greeley Freight Station Museum. Apparently people kept missing the "museum" part, and we were constantly getting calls and letters to store freight or move things, so a renaming was in order.

But yes, if a rail fan or model railroader comes to Colorado and doesn't include this attraction in their visit they have really missed out.

Back