WEEKEND Photo fun December 2nd - 3rd 06

MLW great rusting hi cubes, they are nice, i got a box full of bright yellow UP high cubes (Bachmann silver series) now i know what to do to tone them down,,, a lot
Ken L no it's not modular, if i move i'll be making a monster layout without any doubt so none of mine's worth taking, i'll take everything i can salvage though
John toilet paper,,,, well i'd never have thought of that

This is my progress for the kids, they can now run trains, i put an electrical cut out switch on the bridge so if one of them opens it the others will not drive a train onto the concrete floor, which is not advised. electrics are not fully complete so they can't drive a train into some of the sidings, i put the transformer on the end so they can at least drive something, i have still got to get the masonite for the backdrop but that can wait. At present it's just an eight by five with a walkway up the middle, later i am going to put a mine section on the right side of the garage with a high level track to the unloading bridge you can see behind the station
PC030089.jpg

the completed station, almost
PC030088.jpg

the bridge linking the 8' x 5' together into a loop
PC030087.jpg

the area to the right is industrial as requested by eldest boy
PC030086.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve B:
Nice progress Steve.! The upper level as well as the down level for the kids:I do like the idea of the coalmine (in the future ....)

MLW
Again a great "weathering" job you did/are doing...:eek: I think it will take me some years to manage that kind of "level";)

NZRMac, KenThere IS something BIG going on at the other side of our globe. Glad you "made" it already so far...:)

Johntealon John:Great how you inventioned/ built your On3 freight cars. I recognised the landrover, I use mine to place it near my HO scale trees, when I take a pictures to show the scale of it.( Costs: 0,25 euro);)

Ray: great progress and the BACKDROPS:eek: Great effect!

Jos

Ray, Thanks for the comments. So staging is multi-level? So you get twice has much staging . interesting idea.:)

Brakie, Yes sir. Bachmann cars. I don’t understand what’s wrong with them either, and as a bonus I got them dirt-cheap at my LHS. Put IM metal wheel sets, Kadee #5 and voila!! You could go further and replace the grabs and steps, add an air hose and no one would be the wiser. They run good, they track well, they look great …and beat up, but that’s the idea. No one can tell if this is a $6.00 or $40.00 car.

CSX road Slug, My industries are stored away in boxes while I’m adding and re-building parts of my layout. But yes: Brewery, Warehouse, Grain Silos, Heavy Industry, Shipping Express (LTC), Pipe & tubing, flour mill, Cardboard Products etc..

Steve B, Thanks, great cars indeed. I like them a lot. The details are good for me and they take paint/weathering very well. I hope I’ll see more on sale again soon. BTW is that a weathered steamer I see park at the station? What’s the name of the high speed train sitting at the platform?

grove den, Thanks. Practice and patience and eventually it looks decent. That’s all.

OldGettysk, Thanks. Yes great car indeed.

MLW, well, not really twice as much. The staging doubles as a return loop. I have three hidden tracks on the lower part (all three are return loops also). Tracks are accessible from inside the loop and the back outside. They can also be accessed by removing the fascia strip on the face of the layout. The upper level has the loop and one stub end track that can hold a train with about 3 passenger cars or a short freight. During operations trains parked in the loops would be brought out onto the layout coming from where-ever land. At least one of the staging loops would be kept open for continuous running.

Steve B, I just love what you have done for your kids. They are very lucky to have a dad who takes the time to build something that special for them! Nice sturdy bridge there BTW.

Ray, Thanks for the comments. So staging is multi-level? So you get twice has much staging . interesting idea.:)
Oh woha, thanks for throwing a brick at my head with an idea tied to it!

My layout planning as suffered from lack of "direction" in the staging area. You just made me realize that I can do double deck staging, with the helix at the END, not single deck with the helix at the start!

Thanks Ray!

Got busy with the battery drill over the weekend.

bench_work_003_Small_.jpg

bench_work_002_Small_.jpg

I'm following the lines on the floor (approximately:D )

Ken.

battery

What kind of battery do you use Ken. I do notice a very vaste progress in a short time with that BATTERY drill;) Do they sell it also in Europe? lol

I am very curious about how it is going to be( trackplan)
Thanks for sharing your progress pictures.

BTW You've got a very nice countryestate...it looks- it is just great ,certainly from air!
One thing they do sell in Europe( red circle) I've got the same model...

Jos

The trackplan is a modified version of this SSShhhhh don't tell MR I scanned it from their magazine.

The Battery drill is just a 12v Ryobi:D

Thankyou for the compliments on our home, really love it here.

Ken.

Looking great Ken, that's going to be a fantastic layout.
MLW Yes it's an old TriAng model of a 4-6-2 pacific number 6201, the boy's wanted a steam loco in scrapyard condition so they got one, I used a two pack instant rust, you paint on the ferrous base coat then paint on an activator and within hours it's going rusty, the best part of this stuff is the longer it's on the rustier it get's, the passenger train is a Hornby inter city class 92 set, cheap and very fast

PC040094.jpg

The local switcher is waiting on the interchange track at MP 46 waiting for the fast passenger to roar-by:

IHC Pacific
BandO_LNE_003a.jpg

IHC Pacific tender
BandO_LNE_004a.jpg

Athearn Abbots Express Reefer
BandO_LNE_006a.jpg

MDC/Roundhouse Chateau Martin Wines Express Reefer
BandO_LNE_008a.jpg

Walters Heavyweight B&O Coach:
BandO_LNE_010a.jpg

Walters Heavyweight B&O Coach:
BandO_LNE_011a.jpg

The switcher begins to roll

IHC 0-8-0 switcher with customed number

BandO_LNE_012a.jpg

IHC 0-8-0 switcher tender with customed number

BandO_LNE_013a.jpg

Atlas ARHS 2-Bay Hopper
BandO_LNE_014a.jpg

Atlas 2-bay hopper
BandO_LNE_015a.jpg

Mantua 2-bay hopper
BandO_LNE_016a.jpg

LNE Accurail wood outside truss boxcar.
BandO_LNE_017a.jpg

Reading Accurail wood outside truss boxcar.
BandO_LNE_018a.jpg

Athearn Erie wood box car.
BandO_LNE_019a.jpg

MDC/Roundhouse NE Style caboose – Custom painted and decaled:
BandO_LNE_020a.jpg

You're certainly welcome, Josh! Hope it works well for you.

Tompm, very, very nice weathering on your rolling stock!

Ken M That is going to be a great layout! Oh to have that much space.....!

Ray Oh my yes it will! I can stage North & South trains much easier then!

Tom, I LOVE your picture runs, car by car, very awesome!

Back