weekEND photo fun! 9/28-9/30

Hi Jeffrey, you can try buy an A4 opaque acetate sheet (of scaled thickness), I guess you can find these even in stationaries, and a rod of brass (donno thickness from the top of my head), both shouldn't cost much though.

Then take a surgical knife or some other cutting tool, and start cutting thin strips from the acetate sheet to make the vent flaps. Once you have cut enough of these strip, prepare a drill the size of the rod (or slightly thinner), and drill holes in the strips to accomodate the rod, or else keep a candle near you, and heat a rod to melt a hole or two in each strip, then cut the required rod lenghts, and start inserting the strips one by one and gluing slightly to keep position.

It may sould a rough way, but I think its an economic way of doing such a thing.

Let me show you something. I always keep an ace up my sleeve.

A spare dynamic brake housing.

tview.jpg

Yeah nice to have spares, but this hobby is not only about running the trains, the fun in this hobby is creating and modifying things, creativity is at its best. I mean you don't have to modify all the cars and locos you have, but even doing one with great precision and dedication, gives you a big satisfaction. (I don't want to talk you down by this, even since I'm one of the latest who joined in here )

Have fun :)

I don't feel that you're talking down to me. The decoder that's in the loco right now is just a temporary install. The permanant6 decoder will be a Digitrax DH123AT, which is especially suited to Athearn locos. The Athearn Jet 400 motor (which is what's in my GP50) is a power hog. This causes the cheap Bachmann decoder to run hot, so the heat must be evacuated. This was the quickest and easiest way to get it done. If I had see-through vents, I would have used those.

I'm late getting over here to check out all the posts, but I am glad I did. Some very good work and exciting projects going on. Every time I visit a WPF thread it is like a shot of adrenaline; I get fired up and ready to model the world.

Back