weekEND photo fun! 9/28-9/30

I'll contribute something...

15 "new" boxcars, came with 15 Accurail chassis, and details, now I need Sergent couplers, weights, and Branchline wheels.
View attachment 7368

BNSF 973's new plow. Might need to remove it though, I think I set it too low!
View attachment 7369

The side to BNSF #40, Fox River, I had to make the sides from scratch, because the windows, and bottom sill were all wrong.
View attachment 7370

P1010003.jpg

Sunday at RJR

This morning I had to stay home with the poorley boy while the rest of the family went off to church... So I got a few hours in the shed :D

Fixed the rest of the base boards down and fitted the front valance to finish it off,

S7001915.jpg

On this one you can just make out the marker pen outline of the track plan

S7001908.jpg

I also built the supports for the lift out door section. The supports are low as I plan to build a deep lift out section that holds a valley and large bridge Not sure what type yet. The plan is that with the correct angle I will be able to take pictures out of the shed, with trains on the bridge and get a real sky behind.

S7001910.jpg

Here is a virtual tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J-0v3zmmlw

John
RJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Jos were you hiding when John needs trees ;)
looking good John
Jeffery love the last picture, and the video's great as well
Josh happy shopping josh

Additions in progress

Great stuff guys. Wow. Keep them coming

The BOeC additions are going ahead as planned. Section #3 is almost completed (need some minor changes) and addition #4 is underway.

Basically it is a city scene with station (Chambly / La Chine) Its about 8 feet long. Carving foam at the moment and temporary placing buildings to see how it will look. Next step will be roadbed, tracks, turnouts, wiring, refining the landscape, tunnel portal, ground cover, scenery stuff etc.. Should all be done by X-mas.

Here's a few overall shots of the "in-progress"

2007930133635_11.JPG

2007930133658_22.JPG

200793013386_55.JPG

Cheerio

I've heard boasts from a lot of modelers on how slow their locos can creep and have watched videos attesting tom their claims. Many of them look good but if you scale them up, it's like a horse at a slow run. I have an old Athearn BB F7 that can literally creep at 2 to 3 millimeters a second which translates to a man walking, and I have the video proof.

th_Mpg_0002-1.jpg

Very nice photos, everyone!

Here's a few I took at Don's layout; I don't have nearly as many as Matt.

img0742id2.jpg

img0744hj4.jpg

img0745at9.jpg

img0746yq2.jpg

Wow guys, you're making this one of the best yet.

John Liking that new layout shed!

MLW Nice new addition there!

Jeffery That F7 really CAN creep!

Zephyr Nice pics! Love those Rock units!

Katy Koal

Here's some Katy action for ya. two EMD's and 15 new Athearn SATX Thrall gons in tow.

I now have a DCC equipped Athearn GP50 running on my layout. My neighbors son traded me his GP50 for my RS3 SP Black Widow. I wasted no time sticking a NCE Silent Running decoder in the GP50. Here's some pics taken during the conversion and a video showing the testing being done afterwards.

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010003-3.jpg

P1010004-3.jpg

th_P1010006-3.jpg

I haven't had much time this week to do anything on the layout, but I did manage to do a couple of repaints of some old bobbers I have had for 20+ years and got one old Roundhouse caboose kit more or less finished. I have forgotten how frustrating those 25 year old kits were. I bought 4 of these kits around 23 years ago and only assembled one. Another one of the kits that I had started got to close to a soldering iron and sat on the workbench for almost 20 years until I finally threw it out a couple years ago. That left 2 more of them to assemble. Here are the Roundhouse Kit and the two Bobbers freshly painted and decaled for the Seneca Lake, Ontario, and Western.

CabooseFleet1w.png

The last one is being assembled now and I have decided to scratch build details for the interior. I downloaded some plans for 1913 Erie Cabooses that can give me an idea of the proper layout for the inside. I will see how it comes out......

CabooseConstruction2w.png

CabooseConstruction1w.png

Great photos as usual, this is my favorite thread every week. I like how the NYC units are painted in perfect shades of gray, they look like black and white relics of the past in a color photo.

Jeffrey's KCS AC4400 looks like it tangled with a big rock with its front pilot and it looks like it is missing an axle as well.

Rock Island looks good in Colorado!

I like the subtle weathering on Todd's KCS 4798. To me if you notice the weathering right off, it is too heavy.

John probably looks forward to trips out to the wooden shed! As far as the sky backdrop, you will need a very bright light inside or the sky will wash out.

It does feel good to finish projects. I finished a B30-7A1(B) in BN today. I started it before my daughter was born and now she is four so it took awhile. It did sit in a box for nearly 4 years though.

4106-0709230.jpg

It is a RailPower shell on an Athearn drive. The high short hood, utility cab, dynamic brake box and sideframes are all Smokey Valley if I remember correctly. It has been awhile.

Jeffrey's KCS AC4400 looks like it tangled with a big rock with its front pilot and it looks like it is missing an axle as well.
If you really must know, the front and rear pilots were cut so that the couplers can swivel from side to side. Also, the center axle was removed from both trucks. These modifications were neccesary as the model was made for a minimum 24" radius and I have 18" radius. It now runs well on my layout.

And now, here's something else you can look at.

Imag0007-1.jpg

KJD very nice BN B unit you got there...4 years ...hey at least you got it done. Life is what happens when you are making plans. Congrats on being a daddy for that lil girl you have there! Hope she likes trains!

If you dont mind posting it on this thread I have going that would be sweet! http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5839

By the way is it powered?

She does like trains, she writes down the numbers of the locomotives that pass our house while I am at work.

I'll add a photo on the other thread. It is powered with an Athearn motor and Digitrax DCC.

I redid the DCC job on the GP50 today.

P1010010-2.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

I devised a way to get rid of the heat developed by the motor and decoder. I took the dynamic brake housing off the shell and used my Dremel tool to open up the top of the shell. I then cut the grills out of the sides of the dynamic brake housing. Now the top of the shell doesn't heat up after the loco has been running for a while.

P1010001-4.jpg

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010005-2.jpg

P1010003-4.jpg

Jeffrey, now all you need are some Overland Brass see through grills in there, and you'll enter my world!

Back