Weekend Photo Fun 8/4/06-8/6/06

TOMPM
Thanks for the additional pictures. They show what I expected, a nice bit of weathering. To my eye, that building looks just what you would expect a building next to RR tracks to look like. Well kept, but sooty. Good job.
Tom

More Roster Pics

Seeing all of these models made me want to get in on the act, so here goes:

The Ten wheeler is a Westside T-28 that has been remotored and regeared. It just passed it's run test.

The Pacific is a Westside P-4 that is just sort of sitting in the box waiting for me to do some small repairs and install a decoder.

The Atlantic, Westside again, and A-6 in Daylight paint.

The 0-8-0 is a Balboa SE-4 that has been remotored and decodered.

I'll follow this post with some bigger ones

Here's a few more :)

I've always liked the 2-10-2. This one has a Buhler can motor and regularly pulls freights at the club's operating sessions. She runs like a watch.

You can't model the Espee without at least one cab forward! This one is a Westside AC-4 that also rins at the club. Not long after I got it running reliably enough to take to the club, BLI announced the plastic one:mad: Don't it figure?

So since I kike to be different, I talked a long time friend out of this AC-9. It has to be remotored, and probably regeared, as well as repainted, I may also go for sound on this one, because of that huge coal tender. The vandy tenders on most Espee brass are difficult to take apart, and I don't like to unsolder them.

And, of course there is the GS-4. I picked this one up off of e-bay for a song. Remotor, decoder, working lights including the Gyralight, and a flywheel for coasting through turnouts.

Two to go!

Yet more roster pics

Last but not least, I have to share some Daylight GS's

The GS-3 pulls the Daylight regularly on the club layout. This one came with a can motor, so all I had to do was put in a decoder. My daylight train is a mix of brass and plastic cars, and is about 14 cars long. These locos will handle the train on the layout, but I had to add Intermountain roller bearing wheelsets to the brass cars. Our ruling grade on the main line is just shy of 2.5%

The GS-4 runs all the time at the club, so much so that I have it at home while other models are run for a while. I have a Soundtraxx GS-4 decoder in this one, and the lights all work (except the markers:D ) There are a total of seven wires between the tender and loco and two 1" speakers in the tender. Nobody has trouble hearing this one!

OK, so I went a little nuts on this class, so shoot me;) It's all CJ'sfault anyway. He got me started on this brass steam kick and my life hasn't been the same since! That's a good thing though.

Yeah, CJ will get you in a heap of trouble. Very nice looking stable, but would look a lot better on my layout:D .

Well,

Maybe I can bring one or two to visit someday. I have planned a visit with CJ during Xmas week this year. We go back quite few years. He got me into painting and mechanisms. He's probably the best custom painter in AL (Unless I'm down for visit:D ) Just kidding:)

I've seen some of your layout pics. Reminds me somewhat of the Rathole on the Southern the few pics I saw.

Hey, you are more than welcome to come over. CJ has mentioned you many times (I best not repeat what he said:eek: ) :D :D
Got to get back to my Bama game, now.

Hey I want to post my daylight :D Let's just say it's on a leese to the CB&CNSR since I have no intention of changing it.

Cheers Willis

Espeefan said:
Well,

He's probably the best custom painter in AL (Unless I'm down for visit:D ) Just kidding:)

I've seen some of your layout pics. Reminds me somewhat of the Rathole on the Southern the few pics I saw.

Alan;

Appreciate this BS:D. When ya get down here, I'll be more than happy to drag ya over to T-town. :p Might even leave ya there!;)

Question, is the 4101 the loco you got from Jim G? There was an article in the paper here the other day about Jim. He's selling the layout since his age is getting rather up there. He only wants 350,000 for the layout. He'll throw the house in for free!:D

Cjcrescent said:
Alan;

Question, is the 4101 the loco you got from Jim G?

Carey,

Yep, it sure is, along with the AC-9, the 2-10-2, the GS-3, and the Pacific. I'd like to see the article. What paper ran it?

I wish I could find a job down there that would pay enough for me to own that house! I'd be back in a flash. The kids like it up here tho, and there'd probably be claw marks on I-94 and I-65 all the way back to B'ham!

That's why I told you to get over there soon if you wanted to see everything one more time. It's far more likely that whoever buys the house will dismantle everything:eek: The thought of that breaks my heart. :( Some of my best work is in that basement.

I've been buying as much of his Espee collection as I can afford, and that's why the airbrush has been so busy. Wish I could afford his library! That's as impressive as everything else, as you know.

It's tough to get old.

Last time I was over at his house, he came across the erection drawings of the prototype SRR 949, that he and Jim T. used to get PFM to build and import the 4-6-0. When he heard that my Dad had been the fireman on it for a while. He gave me the drawings. Needless to say they are kept in a very special place.

Generosity like that isn't seen everyday! Jim also did so much to get the SER restarted in the NMRA back in the early 60's. His drive, modeling abilities, and his good humor will be missed, now that his activities are so severely limited by his age and parkinsons.

Last time I was over at his house, he came across the erection drawings of the prototype SRR 949, that he and Jim T. used to get PFM to build and import the 4-6-0. When he heard that my Dad had been the fireman on it for a while. He gave me the drawings. Needless to say they are kept in a very special place

Carey

I remember! I was there at the time. I thought you were going to have to change your drawers:D The Southern PS-4 painting questions I asked you came from a typed pair of sheets that he gave me. They are not on Southern RR letterhead, but very old, and who knows where they came from. He has always been generous to a fault with his friends.

No doubt he's one of the last of the great ones!

Back