Weekend Photo Fun 8/11/06-8/13/06

Great post this weekend and thanks Tom and all. Yeah, Carey it's a wonder that the Geep didn't have a dirt dobbers nest in it...it sit so long.

Well, here are some 'Around Town' photos that may be of interest.

Over 100 year old trestle still in daily use.
agv.sized.jpg

Closeup for those needing an idea of the trestle construction.
agx.sized.jpg

Nearby spur with local heading out to the western industrial area.
agw.sized.jpg

Tug on the Warrior River that seperates Tuscaloosa and Northport.
agy.sized.jpg

History marker noting the beginning of the Appalachian chain. Rock geeks might like this one.
agz.sized.jpg

The 'Bama Belle' offering dinner cruises on the river 4 nights a week. Excellent seafood with long names:D.
aha.sized.jpg

Old GM&O depot restored and now used by local MR club. This is one of three depots in the Tuscaloosa area. Other two are: L&N (resturant), AGS/Southern (now Amtrac)
ahb.sized.jpg

Trackside of Depot.
ahd.sized.jpg

IC&G Caboose at Depot. They have just received funds to restore her back to the orginal condition.
ahc.sized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul
Great looking bridge and steamer!

Josh
Looks like you are making good progress!

Wyatt
Great looking scene!

MLW
Great looking loco and cars!

Larry
Cool locos!

L&N Castle
Great looking equipment!

Rex
Great shots! I really like the Geep!

John
Great looking car!

Rex
Great proto shots!

Absolutely great work, all of you! I haven't gotten a whole lot done on the layout in the last several weeks, and what I have isn't that photogenic..... Unless you think wiring up torti is exciting.. LOL Ihave done a bit more scenery at the Old Arthur Farm:

Old caboose # C 34 rolls by at the end of a local freight.
Caboose_C34_1a.png

Caboose_C34_2a.png

Also got the new bridges almost finished. Just need to add some weathering and scenery and it will be done.

NewBridge03a.png

NewBridge04a.png

jbaakko said:
Wow those bridges look GREAT!

Thanks Josh. They are partly a kitbash of some Atlas stuff and partly scratchbuilt with strip styreen and wood sawed to size on my MicroMark table saw. Had part of a package of Kappler sugar pine trestle ties that were sitting around for about 20 years and used them up. Then cut some ties to size on the tablesaw for the escape crossover. finally ordered some Kappler tie stock (as they didn't have precut ties in stock) and cut the remaining ones I needed. They were stained with India Ink diluted with 70% Rubbing Alcohol and glued in place with Walthers Goo. The track was hand laid over the ties. I am waiting on some more scale wood from Kappler to make a walkway down the center of each bridge and across the excape.

I had a request to see my grain covered hoppers. I don’t exactly remember who or where the request was made. But here they are:

Atlas PS-2 Covered hopper –Lehigh & New England
penncentralpassing_001a.jpg

Atlas RS-11 – Penn Central
penncentralpassing_002a.jpg

Atlas RS-11 – Penn Central
penncentralpassing_003a.jpg

Athearn RTR Covered hopper - Klemme
penncentralpassing_004a.jpg

MDC Undecorated Covered hopper – Custom Painted – Ralston-Jefferson
penncentralpassing_005a.jpg

Athearn/Walthers Covered hopper – Albert City
penncentralpassing_006a.jpg

MDC Covered hopper - Klemme
penncentralpassing_007a.jpg

MDC Covered hopper - Farnhamville
penncentralpassing_008a.jpg

penncentralpassing_009a.jpg

penncentralpassing_010a.jpg

Athearn/Bev-Bel Covered hopper – Ralston-Jefferson
penncentralpassing_011a.jpg

Athearn Covered hopper – Penn Central
penncentralpassing_012a.jpg

Life-Like Covered hopper – Lehigh Valley
penncentralpassing_013a.jpg

Athearn Covered hopper – Penn Central
penncentralpassing_014a.jpg

Athearn/Bev-Bel Covered hopper - Peavey
penncentralpassing_0151a.jpg

Athearn Covered hopper - NYC
penncentralpassing_016a.jpg

Athearn Covered hopper – Rogers Grain
penncentralpassing_017a.jpg

Athearn Covered hopper – Farmers Co-op
penncentralpassing_018a.jpg

Athearn/Rail Runner Covered Hopper - Seaboard
penncentralpassing_019a.jpg

Athearn W/V Caboose – Penn Central
penncentralpassing_020a.jpg

Ray: Really like your bridge work. If you're like me, they are a lot of fun to build and I wish that I had more places to put them. Hmmmm! Maybe if I removed....:rolleyes: :D Where's my SAW!

Tom: Very good work on those hoppers and I like the wear on the PC caboose. Looks like you have some extra hoppers, so I will send you my address along with shipping money;) :D .

Nice pics everyone,
rex i could do with a platefull of Seafood with long names, Mmmmmm
BTW what's a dirt dubber or whatever it was, i presume it's a bird of sorts

Steve B said:
Nice pics everyone,
rex i could do with a platefull of Seafood with long names, Mmmmmm
BTW what's a dirt dubber or whatever it was, i presume it's a bird of sorts

Steve: I don't know the entomology term for a dirt dobber, but they are black wasp looking critters that will not sting you. They build little mud nests all over the place...particularly in holes. I once had a nest in the cooling water exhaust (pee) hole of my boat's outboard motor. Took me an hour with a coat hanger to get it cleared.:p .

L&N Castle said:
Evening Everyone. I thought I would show you some of my fleet,so here goes nothin. Enjoy.William.

You have the Southern engine backwards. No big deal but had to let you know.

Well, I was browsing through this thread wishing I had something to contribute...when it occurred to me that I did take some railroad photos this past weekend, both model and proto!

This was courtesy of attending the town of Brodhead's sesquicentennial celebration, and visiting the Historical Society housed at the old depot.

Milwaukee Road Fairbanks-Morse H10-44 switcher #781, displayed with a MILW bay window caboose outside the depot:

08-13-06MILW781_1.png

08-13-06MILW781_2.png

08-13-06MILW781_3.png

08-13-06MILW781_4.png

08-13-06MILWCaboose01900.png

The locomotive and caboose recently received a new coat of paint. The curator succinctly described what several decades of exposure to the weather had done to the previous finish: "It was pink".

The depot's small HO scale model railroad, which despite the simplicity of the track plan features some impressive woodwork on several trestles and a tunnel:

08-13-06ModelRailroad1.png

08-13-06ModelRailroad2.png

08-13-06ModelRailroad3.png

A poorly focused close-up of the SD9 locomotive.

08-13-06ModelRailroad4.png

A close-up of the wooden tunnel.

There was also a Brodhead resident giving an open house tour of his large-scale garden railroad, but I didn't take any digital stills there, only video; and right now I don't have the proper hardware to put my video on the computer.

This isn't technically from last weekend (I took it on Tuesday). I tried taking some photos on my own layout but was frustrated. It is in a corner of the room so two sides are automatically out as vantage points, and the lighting is rather poor. Shots without flash (as here) are grainy, while shots with flash wash out the subject in a blaze of light.

This was the only halfway decent shot I managed to get, of the SD40-2 leading a freight past the station:

08-15-06ModelRailroad1.png

Back