Weekend Photo Fun 7-14 to 7-16 2006

Zephyr

Rocket Red
Yay! The weekend is here! I started it out right by running trains at the local club last night with my friend Matt.

img56363my.jpg

I ran a 20-car local mixed freight of mostly boxcars.
img56371hf.jpg

Old SD40T-2 5187, a former Rio Grande (still painted in the post-takeover scheme from '84)
is on the point followed by former Rock Island GP38-2 3175
img56385gk.jpg

What's this? New York Central SD70Mac Daddy 604 wants in too?
img56412nr.jpg

img56433te.jpg

img56463bh.jpg

Omaha Terminal 50' waffle boxcar
img56449ge.jpg

img56454ly.jpg

Other miscelanee freight cars
img56476kt.jpg

img56481ec.jpg

img56496lk.jpg

img56509hr.jpg

img56512nb.jpg

img56528al.jpg

img56532gy.jpg

Hope everyone has a photo-rrific weekend!

You know, I think it may be time to haul out my SPSF boxcar from back when Athearn "anticipated" a bit too much.

Some nice pictures Zephyr. I need to get some pics of my locomotives running on my club layout as well.
Chris

Nice weathering on the cars Zephyr. I am still waiting for some styrene strips to arrive at the LHS. They say they should be in early next week (After I am gone to Music Camp for the week... :mad: ) So I have been doing some scenery and ballasting of track on the old part of the layout. The trestle bridge was scratchbuilt in 1985 and the hardshell has been waiting 21 years for me to get around to finish the scenery. That is why it is called the SLO&W!

OldTrestle2a.png

OldTrestle01a.png

Notice that the white glue is still wet. The Trestle is held together with nothing but Walther's Goo and is still strong as a rock 21 years later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice bridge work, rhoward!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Sorry, MLW, that's all the photos I took that night. But more will come another week! JeffShultz, do you mean the Roundhouse SPSF 50' single door boxcars? I have about a dozen of them, but they need more work (weathering, standardized coupler height, paint the roofs silver, etc):

img79203ql.jpg

dsc00195.jpg

One of the Grand Valley's nicer looking boxcars. :D :D

Rust is all done with acrylic paints.

Layout Field Trip

Today's monthly meeting of the San Diego Garden Railroad Society was at the spectacular layout on the grounds of the Walter Anderson Nursery in Poway, CA. Despite the near-100 degree heat, we found the layout a joy to behold, as usual.

Club members built the original layout several years ago, now grown to four times its original size. Todays layout is track-powered, with four loops, numerous water features, and a yard that handles 25-car trains! It's definitely worth a visit when you're in the area!

Josh, by all means, check it out. To get to Walter Andersen's in Poway, take I-15 to Mercy Road / Scripps Poway Parkway, then go east on Scripps Poway Pkwy about 4 miles, turn left on Community Road, then left again onto Danielson Ct. Beware, though. Whether you're into trains OR gardening, a trip there can be dangerous to your wallet. :D

Lady_Railfan said:
Josh, by all means, check it out. To get to Walter Andersen's in Poway, take I-15 to Mercy Road / Scripps Poway Parkway, then go east on Scripps Poway Pkwy about 4 miles, turn left on Community Road, then left again onto Danielson Ct. Beware, though. Whether you're into trains OR gardening, a trip there can be dangerous to your wallet. :D
hehe, the internet is dangerous enough for me!

Back