Weekend Photo Fun, 4-7/8

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi Everyone. I'm anticipating more fantastic pics this weekend. I love wpf! :cool: Ya'll post them when ya can and have a GREAT weekend. Happy Easter!!!

We spent much of the day exploring mines on Red Mountain and at the Bessemer Hall of History. The BHH was originally the Alabama Great Southern (later SRR) station built in 1916. Our friend Chris runs the museum and we always get a kick out of talking local iron and mining history with him and his dad. While we were there, I couldn't help but snap a few shots of NS mainline action...

NS_at_Bessemer_2_Large_.JPG

IMG_0313_Large_.JPG

I'm hoping to get a few model pics up tomorrow. :)

Thanks Bob. You might say I'm having fun. ;) :D

One more from today. ;)
IMG_0314_Large_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Turntable bash project....

I have just about finished my latest project...bashing an Atlas turntable. I put in a stripwood deck, and added a Laws "gallows", a stone retainer wall, and a sheet steel perimeter walk-way. After all that was in place, I didn't like the looks of the original Atlas shed that housed the motor... so I scratch-built one that was one inch longer in both length & width so I could add a layer of foam rubber to the inside walls and ceiling to help deaden the motor sound.

I also put in a maintenance/clean-out hatch on the deck, next to the bridge area. I've ordered some new plastic NBW's to replace the ones I used by the support cables, as they are too large to be prototypical... but that was all I had at the time.

I model the Montana Western, and they only used their T/T to turn their two small locomotives.... a 4-4-0, and a 4-6-0.

Any comments and suggestions welcome... Bob

Bob, That's some absolutely fantastic work on the turntable! I probably wouldn't have recognized it as an Atlas unit had you not said so. I really like it. :cool:

Thanks, Eric... I really wanted the Walthers 90' T/T but I did not have the space, and it would not have been prototypical for the Montana Western. I now have to finish my "new" benchwork before the little turntable can find a home. My original layout had pop-up's and that proved problematic with my old back injury... so I'm building an "around-the-room" layout at present.

...and again, thanks Eric and Johnny for your kind words... Bob

Thanks, Eric... I really wanted the Walthers 90' T/T but I did not have the space, and it would not have been prototypical for the Montana Western. I now have to finish my "new" benchwork before the little turntable can find a home. My original layout had pop-up's and that proved problematic with my old back injury... so I'm building an "around-the-room" layout at present.

Thanks again for the kind words... Bob

I'm looking forward to seeing more, hopefully a lot more. :) What you've created is much nicer than any kit, IMHO. Since you don't need a large TT the Atlas conversion is perfect.

tenwheeler defiantly submit an article! If nothing submit it to Joe Fugate's online Mag (PM me, Spacemouse ,or CSX_road_slug for info.

Lots going on here for me, gonna get allot done this weekend, I hope. I'm going to start work on placing my Burger King on a small diorama, and building this:
http://www.texhoma.net/~trainman/0207021.html

Mhmmm... No progress on the F3's I have to find decals for them, I might have to break down and get plain silver stripes instead of the GN passenger car set.

Need to get a few more parts for the TFM unit then I can paint!

Wow, tenwheeler! Excellent detail and craftsmanship. My mouth is still open looking at it. Who would guess that it is an Atlas TT.

What gorgeous photos! Excellent modeling of that turntable! Wow, tenwheeler!

Here is a shot of a Challenger down grade with an added sky.

Challenger2withskyres.JPG

Nice TT 10-W! I have an Atlas waiting a bash. I'm not sure how much of the originial will be left when I'm done.

Eric, give a guy a camera a [cameraflash]Poof![/cameraflash] he's the world's greatest railfan. Keep the pictures coming.

NIce Selector. Although you don't have to tell us about adding the sky Let us guess.

GM
Ten weeler
Crandell
ALL FANTASTIC shot's, The NS shot's are great, wish i had a better camera, that's a very impresive turntable, you would never guess it was an Atlas, just goes to show you don't have to buy expensive designer models to make a masterpiece. And the challenger coming down hill,,,awesome.
Josh That's an awfull big project to model, looking forward to the finnished item.

Lots of great stuff on here this weekend! Wish I could join the fun, but my current modeling challenge doesn't involve photography. I need to gather the necessary tools and materials to scratchbuild a blast furnace affordably, so I can write an article about it for Joe Fugates online magazine.

Eric - great NS proto shots!

Crandell - that shot is one of your best ever! How did you 'add' the sky - with a temporary backdrop, or Photoshop?

10-wheeler - That's definately a great looking upgrade on that Atlas TT. I've got one of those myself, it's leftover from my first-ever home layout, I don't think this type is used for my modeling era though. I agree with what the others have said, it deserves an article - MR, RMC, or even Fugate's mag that Josh referred to in his post.

Great pictures everyone!!!..Grande Man:...Love the camera work!!..so clear both close and far away...
That turntable; I can't say anymore than what everyone else said, just AWESOME!!!!
And that sky IS great too...perfect picture!!
Keep em commin!!

I know it's been a couple weeks for me, but I did finally remember to take the camera along...Took lots but here's a few of the clubs progress:
#1: The latest in the waterfall pond details
#2: I was going to bid on a sand tower for the East Broad Top on eBay but it went too high...so a trip to A.C.Moore and some balsa wood/ paint I saved the pics, and am working on my own and I like the feeling I got more building it this way then if I'd have got the kit...This I did in 2 evenings
#3: a shot of the EBT/ with a coal load crossing Aughwick Creek near my home on the layout.
#4: The beginnings of the detail at the Horseshoe Curve where a steamer sat on display...(engine temporary..will be a K4 soon)

Sorry I've been busy with the band past few weeks...Tonight we are being recorded for a DVD and CD that will be added to other bands and sold locally and sent to IRAQ for the troops...Money collected is going to by phone cards for them...This has been getting state wide recognition...All over TV and radio stations and newspapers...So I been tied up with that...But it's for a GREAT cause...so I have a good excuse for letting the layout slide a week or 2...:)

Crandell, Great shot. I love that camera angle (and subject:cool: ).

Bob, You've got a fine looking layout. The water, bridges, trees, models, where do I begin to comment? They all look great!

Thanks for the support of our troops. Considering the lunatic fringe that seems to get all the air time nowadays, they need all the support they can get.

Grande Man
Great shots!

Bob
Awesome job!

Selector
Great shot!

Bob Fogelsonger
Wow some great looking photos!

Great pics everyone..Keep em comin!

Here's a shot of the Conductor on a coal drag watching as a helper is added to his train.

HPIM9269Small.jpg

My project is shown below. Can you guess what it is? That little piece is up to 87 pieces and there is still more to do. HO scale.

My project is shown below. Can you guess what it is? That little piece is up to 87 pieces and there is still more to do. HO scale.

Something for your Boeing train? Looks like your fuselage flat in the background...

Back