Weekend Photo Fun 3/24-3/26

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
OK! Lets get some pictures up. I'll start this WPF with two kits I built more years ago than I care to mention. But I will anyway, so there!

They're finished and painted but ain't been weathered as yet.

The gondola is an Ambroid kit I picked up about fifteen years ago. Except for the detail parts the kit is wood. I finished this one about ten years ago.

The reefer is a Westerfield resin kit I also built about ten years ago. It was my second resin kit and since then I've acquired many more Westerfields, F&C, and a couple of Sunshine. I have found I also prefer these to styrene kits.

Both cars have full brake detail. The Westerfield came with it, but I took extra Tichy parts and added them to the Ambroid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Carey, bet they'll look even better on your new Alabama Central!

Here are some contemporary bethgons I painted and lettered for CSX, the scheme is referred to as "Confederate Gray":
ThreeBethgons.png

GrayBethgonCloseUp.png

Here is a link to view of a prototype car:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=272819

It's interesting how the coal dust "outlines" the braces and other outermost surfaces as a result of the car being laid on its side in the rotary dumper.

Cjcrescent said:
Thanx Ken! Are you gonna be on Skype later?
Sure, as long as (1) none of my kids are on the 'putor, and (2) I don't get conned into doing Dads Taxi Service!:D

I'll peek in from time to time, since I know you'll be there...

Nice work Carey and Ken
here's my little contribution taken last summer, this is being removed soon to allow me to expand
95830613.gif

Hi all,

I know some of you have been wondering why, with my new camera and all, you haven't seen many photos of my layout. Well, it's been that there hasn't been much to see. In late October, I decided I didn't like the way the EZ track looked in relation to buildings. Rolling stock was was constantly 1/4 inch higher than the building and passenger loading docks. So I set about fixing it. The layout is now at the proper height. And looks like this. (I adjusted the color in my image program because my camera makes everything very red. I am told I can color adjust it to a white sheet, but i haven't taken the time.)

landscapeupgrade01.gif

While the major work cannot be seen some of the minor stuff can be. In this shot, you can see several things. The track is now ballasted. The upper track getting the iron ore color that matches the red rock in the landscape and the lower level the grey to match the rocks in the lower level. The tunnel portals and retaining walls are also new.

landscapeupgrade02.gif

In this shot, you see the roughed out scenic divide coming in on the left, the large tunnel portal, and the base coat of the hardshell between the track levels--the grade up and down from Train City to Rock Ridge. Above the portal is shaped foam.

landscapeupgrade03.gif

The current hold-up is that i want to plant the rock relief into the drywall coat so there are no gaps between the rock and the base. Since it is easier to paint the rock off the layout than on, I have a lot of painting to do.

landscapeupgrade04.gif

The way things are going. I see another month before trains will run again on the layout.

Addition to the FM&P

I don't have a photo, but a Cadrail design to show. I have been designing my Morgantown and Kingwood RR addition to my Fairmont, Morgantown and Pittsburgh division of the B&O. It is to go into my furnace romm next to the main model railroad room. The M&K was a separate railroad that was bought by the B&O after WWI. I haven't decided yet whether it will be independent. The regional NMRA convention this year is selling M&K hoppers so it may remain independent on my model railroad. Opinions about the design are always welcome. It is a BMP file. - Nevin

Chip,

From the looks of things your layout is farther along than mine! My layout is actually more like a workbench right about now. Those rock faces look great BTW...

Steve,
Hope you can get back into actual train work pretty soon...

Nevin,
I've seen your Morgantown stuff on the forum "across the street" - quite impressive! M&K is one of my absolute favorite B&O locations. When I opened your bitmap though, it was TINY - could you perhaps link to a larger file (.jpg or .gif)?

NevinW said:
I don't have a photo, but a Cadrail design to show. I have been designing my Morgantown and Kingwood RR addition to my Fairmont, Morgantown and Pittsburgh division of the B&O. It is to go into my furnace romm next to the main model railroad room. The M&K was a separate railroad that was bought by the B&O after WWI. I haven't decided yet whether it will be independent. The regional NMRA convention this year is selling M&K hoppers so it may remain independent on my model railroad. Opinions about the design are always welcome. It is a BMP file. - Nevin

I just moved my store, but where I was for the last five years in Indiana, PA, just across the street was a B&O freight office just as you describe. It shared with the Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburgh Railway who had passenger service. Downtown was a station for the PRR.

Well, my caboose came in today, but I got to the post office after business hours so I couldn't claim it. Looks like it'll have to wait till Monday.

As always, this thread is a major inspiration to me. Everyones work is great! Mouse, I hope you get running trains soon. It is such a bummer to have stuff going on with the layout that keeps us from running our trains. I also have not been able to run any trains for a few months as much of the mainline track is cover for some senicing I am doing. I am waiting on a particular hobby store to get their act together and send me the Silflor stuff I ordered (it is out of stock... so I changed the order to stuff they had in stock... have called 3 times. Their web site still says it is being held due to out of stock items... Grrrr!).

I have been working on a Campbell Scale Model building that will become (if I can ever get it done) Thompson Tiles. Maker of drainage tiles for area farmers. Also benchwork has started for the new room.

I'm afraid all I have this week is construction shots:

This is the underside of one of my shelf-bracket hung modules:
DSCF2711.sized.jpg

What will be Minto siding, South Salem:
DSCF2713.sized.jpg

The start of Pringle Creek, which flows under the Boise Cascade factory:
DSCF2716.sized.jpg

Here we see C&HV GP50 number 500 on a short local heading toward Logan.Actually the picture was taken on my future N Scale layout..I am waiting a small order to get here so,I thought I would have some fun.

The weather was finally nice enough for me to do some outdoor painting! I got started on two SPSF behemoths: a DD35 and an AC6000. I had to put a coat of SP letter gray on the DD35 to get rid of the Union Pacific paint scheme. Then I put on some SF yellow on both units.

The DD35 originally was UP 77. It's an Athearn dummy kit I picked up for $25.
img39402jw.jpg

img39414ht.jpg

The AC6000 is Broadway Limited Stealth Series. This will be my new flagship.
resize9ps.jpg

img39441op.jpg

To come later this week/end: SP scarlet red and engine black!

*waits for the Scarlet red & black!!!* Nice pics everyone, sorry I can't post, i kinda sorta broke my camera this weekend :-(. Next weekend I'll try with the video camera but they'll turn out pretty cheap. I'm in the process now of looking for a new camera because I'm not gonna pay $181 to repair it!!

Back