Weekend Photo Fun 22, 23, 24

Actually, I would like that one, as I model NS (of course), BNSF, and SP before the borg. I've got 2 BLI AC6000's #601 & 602, 2 T55 SP fantasy units #383 and 399, and a small armada of dash9's (144, 267, 334, 8102, 8125, 8130, a few of the MRC collectors units), and a few SD40T-2's, all in lovely grey/bloody nose paint; and even a DRGW SD50 #5508, but no kodachromes.:(
And besides, I already have the #2293 unit, like you have, and was about to look and see what realistic road number to give it. Gonna try and see if theres one with the new thoroughbred side logo's and sill stripe, so I can use the small ones from the 87-1225 microscale sheet for other than OLS repaints.:cool:

You could do that 2205 or 2219. I have pictures of both with the horsehead logo.

I've completed this weeks project. That was to install one decoder to run two locomotives. Here's an account (with photos) of how it was done.

First, the item on which this is all centered. The decoder to be used.

This is a standard Bachmann two function decoder. There's nothing special about it. Current capacity: 1 amp. Motor output: 1 amp. Function output: 100 mA.

P1010100.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next are the chassis to be used. Twin Proto 2000 FA chassis. Since they're both identical we'll focus on one. Here the pickup wires have been linked with their identical twins on the other chassis. Now I know somebody out there is going to notice that a red pickup wire is connected to a gray pickup wire. The answer to that is simple. Life-Like used a red wire for the right rail pickup (hot frame). Now here's where it gets interesting. Life-Like, in it's infinite wisdom, used a red wire on the rear truck for left rail pickup and a gray wire on the front truck for left rail pickup.

P1010102.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, the wires for motor control have been added. Since the decoder will not be powering the headlight (that will be installed later and connected to track power so it's always on) I have elected to install it in the B unit. Here the wires in the A unit have been connected to the wires going to the B unit.

P1010103.jpg

In the next photo we see that the wires have been passed through the door windows of the shells. I drilled the windows out a little bigger to insure that the wires can move freely.

P1010104.jpg

For those who know that I have a past history of using masking tape here's a photo showing the wire connections wrapped in ELECTRICAL tape.

P1010105.jpg

Here we see the decoder taped in place in the rear of the B unit and the red and black wires connected to the pickup wires of both units. This insures good power pickup as the joined units will be collecting power with 16 wheels. The orange and gray wires of the decoder have been connected to the wires linking the motors of both units.

P1010108.jpg

Here the two chassis are coupled together as they will be in service. The decoder can be seen taped in place at the rear of the B unit chassis.

P1010107.jpg

The shells have been put back on the chassis and the locos have already made several trips around the layout pulling an Athearn F7-A unit and 15 cars through the entire gambit of a crawling slow start at near full stall all the way up to top speed and the decoder didn't even get warm.

P1010110.jpg

Here the wires can be seen passing between the two units. Being that they're close-coupled the gap is only a 1/4 of an inch.

P1010115.jpg

Try this Jeff,It works for me
my.php
:D
JIM

Last edited by a moderator:
OleIrish; those are Athearn Super units arent they? I thought I saw the above-the-chassis weights thru the window. Good example of how to hide wiring. I have a pair of PCM F7's, dual drive from the factory, and they have a wiring harness connecting the 2 units, and it looks rough. I may try that to disguise it.:cool:

Jerome; I think I'm gonna try to do the #2330, complete with stripes and ditch lights. For some reason I like adding ditch lights to everything, lol. I still have quite a few Southern RR decal sets left, I think I can round up some stripes fom a sheet. At least this will be easy, as its a dummy unit, I don't have to wire them up, lol.:D

Yes they are I've had them for an long time,They are both powered and DCC.
Some time it is hard to find those rubber gizzmos,Sorry I can't rember what there are called(old age LOL)
Jim

I didn't mind the Amtrak in there. It was a rare sight here in Minnesota, a P32-8BWH! Notice right below the engineers window there was the Olympian Hiawatha "Dancing Indian" logo. I plan on doing the same to the P32-8BWH I'm buying from Josh.

I cleaned up the old layout! took some shot's and I decide to try to sell it.....so I can start a new layout!

This weekend the Waushakum Live Steamers in Holliston MA had a large meet with visitors invited, and I was able to go for a look around. There were rides, too!

What these pictures show is that like real ones, model steam locos need a fair amount of maintenance. The club has an ingenious system of turntables that also function as hoists, along with a transfer table, to move equipment on and off vehicles, and around the maintenance area.

There is a 7.5 inch ground-level track for 1/8 scale trains, and an elevated system with three (? I think) different gauges for smaller trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first photo here is a model of one of the earliest locomotives, so small that it can barely move itself and one person. The second and third pictures show something with more heft, a pretty serious 4-8-2. And as you see, the toys are not just for the boys!

I cleaned up the old layout! took some shot's and I decide to try to sell it.....so I can start a new layout!
How much you planning to sell it for?

There's very little chance I'd buy it, but just to get a feel for what they run, in case I do the same.

How much you planning to sell it for?

There's very little chance I'd buy it, but just to get a feel for what they run, in case I do the same.

Well I have $800 invested already, If I can get 1/3 to 1/2 back I would be happy OBO. (U never get back what you got invested!) My aquariums stand and canopy is where the idea came from! I was going to put cabnets under it just haven't got that far! I'm going to post some flyers at a couple of LHS too. The layout is real heavy shipping it out of state would be expensive!:eek: If the person is in state I help as much as I can with getting it to there house.

what ever plan I go with on my next layout I'll more than likely go the same way......make the layout blend in to the room!

Nice large scale stuff there, John. I'd just about kill for that NKP Berkshire and enough space to run it. :)

Chris, that layout looks really well done. Are you sure you want to sell it? You usually get pennies on the dollar and starting over can sometimes be a real chore.

Jim, looks like Walthers diaphrams. Those are what I always used on my Athearn Fr units and they never gave me derailing problems as long as you got the plastic striker plate on straight.

Ray, I forgot to comment on your switch stand. It really looks good, although the prospect of doing 40 or 50 of them would drive me over the edge. Have you looked at the Caboose Hobbies high level switch stands with the target and lantern? They look pretty good in pictures but I don't know how good they look in real life.

Train VS Tree

Evening all. Just unwinding from a road trip to visit my Mother. While I was down in Alexander City,in Central Ala,I managed to photograph an interesting incident. As I started to get close to Alex City,my scanner went off,and I was able to get some pics of a local NS Freight that was headed towards town. Below are some pics of said train. This local train as it turned out,was going to help out another NS Freight,that had a rather nasty encounter. William.

The northbound NS Freight,while coming up from Columbus GA,had the misfortune of hitting a downed tree,that had fallen across the tracks.:eek: . Thankfully,no one on board the train was hurt:cool: , but the same can't be said for the lead locomotive. See pics below.:eek: :mad: . William.

Basically what was done,was the damaged engine was taken off,and two locomotives from the other train,were coupled onto the Northbound Freight,while the damaged loco was coupled up to the lead locomotive of the Southbound local, and was towed to a crossing about a half mile from downtown Alex City,then was towed to Columbus for further repair.:cool: .William.

To wrap this up, I have to admit,the whole event,made for some rather interesting railfanning if do say so my self. I am glad and thankfull that no one onboard the train that struck the fallen tree was hurt,or injured. I can only imagine what those guys in the cab went through when it happened. Anyway,getting ready to turn in,so, enjoy the photos,and have a good night. :cool: . William.

Nice photo illustrated stroy, William. shows the value of having a scanner along with you on a railfan trip. I think I might post a separate topic on that.

That must have been on huge tree to do that much damage to the locomotive. I've seen less damage with direct hits on 18 wheelers. We did have an awful lot of trees down here yesterday and I heard the NS dispatcher warning all the trains to travel at restricted speed to watch for downed trees and washouts. I guess this one just didn't get seen in time. Glad the crew was OK.

Jeffrey, I do so like that KCS covered hopper paint job. Gonna have to find me one or two of em, lol.;)

William, gonna see if I can find that lead unit in the yard here tomorrow and get some pics of her. They may have sent her to the car shop, as they have no loco shop here.:eek:

Back