WEEKEND PHOTO FUN 18-19-20th August

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
I'll try to post pics, the Weed sprayer car got a tad further, it all depends on the cooperation of my laptop. IF I get it working later today I'll post the SFC screen, lol...

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
I intended to post a "before" pic of the World's Messiest Garden Railway, but the Dear Husband snuck out there and cleaned up all the leaves and weeds before I had a chance to take the pic! But NO. I'm NOT complaining.

OK, here goes.
I am trying to create a small rundown yard, bad track, broken ties, hardly any ballast left except on the main. With a single track engine service facility and 5 yard tracks. On one side "wrong side of the tracks" buildings and the local Railroad Hilton hotel. In the future a small worndown depot, closed for passenger service, along the mainline. And ample room for 50' boxcars pulled by SD9's or tunnelmotors. Beet racks can be set out on a short spur. Two old SW1200R coupled together switch the yard.

Does that sound like SP in the 80's?

Regards,

René

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
Looks good! All you need is some rotting lumber and a bit of trash here and there, and perhaps an oily puddle or two to add to the realism. :)

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
René Sounds great, but I gotta dis-agree with the clean SP units! LOL, otherwise I LOVE it, can't wait to see more!

jbaakko said:
René Sounds great, but I gotta dis-agree with the clean SP units! LOL, otherwise I LOVE it, can't wait to see more!

Some new SD45T-2's need some detailing and weathering but they will eventually look something like this SD40T-2. Dark units like SP's grey, will take a lot of weathering to achieve the well known SP look.
Wait till I start on my Kodachrome unit!

Regards,

René

AndyWS

Added some new machines to the HO scale roundhouse and freight yard this weekend. Also paid a visit to the Mid-Continent Railroad Museum in North Freedom. I thought I make a post earlier with the pictures but it doesn't seem to be showing up, so something must have not worked. I'll make another post later with the pictures.

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
AndyWS said:
Added some new machines to the HO scale roundhouse and freight yard this weekend. Also paid a visit to the Mid-Continent Railroad Museum in North Freedom. I thought I make a post earlier with the pictures but it doesn't seem to be showing up, so something must have not worked. I'll make another post later with the pictures.
OOOOH Hows Copper Range #29 looking?

Steve B

Firefighter
Here we go,
waiting for the next train to pass by the canal
179529077.gif

my friend Mick helping run there 3mm scale layout
179529075.gif

and a nice n scale layout depicting a large quarry and engine shed
179529073.gif

AndyWS

Copper Range #29 is looking...well, primer red is about the only way to describe it. It no longer looks like this but they have a long way to go. My personal opinion is that they should hold off on the cosmetic restorations until they have sufficient money and manpower to get #1385 or ST #2 running again. It's beyond me why they took all their formerly functional steamers apart at once rather than staggering the overhauls.

Anyhow, I have so many pictures from there that I'll make a seperate post on my blog for them later. My last visit to MCRM was in 1994 when I was 8 years old, even though we've been going to the Badger Steam & Gas Engine show just down the road for years since then. My mom's photography focus during our visits in 1992 and 1994 was the 6 or 8-year-old me rather than the trains, so I decided it was time to remedy that.

In the meantime, here's the Grovemont Branch's new motive power and rolling stock aquisitions. I call our (my dad & I's) layout the Grovemont Branch because Grovemont is the name on the signs on our Bachmann station. It is on a 4' x 6' wooden platform and has just a single-track mainline that crosses over itself for a "twice around" pattern. Both the inner and outer loops have a passing siding and there are three dead-end spur sidings.

If it were a real railroad, it would be of the "Class I crossover" branchline type that was mentioned in some of the "design your own roster" threads.

08-19-06CN42351.png

08-19-06CN42352.png

This is an Athearn model of Canadian National EMD GP9 #4235. It cost me $15 at the Badger Steam & Gas Engine Show flea market. The Grovemont Branch now rosters five of these locomotives. The road likes them because they are reliable yet often available cheap from bigger roads looking to dump their old motive power.

The previous owner personally painted and detailed the model, as well as adding a bunch of extra weight to the inside. I think they added too much, because the motor sounded like it was really straining when I tested it. I've never seen an engine make so much noise yet move so slowly. It is now awaiting maintenance (weight removal) on the storage track.

08-19-06GN678A1.png

08-19-06GN678A2.png

This is an Athearn dummy model of an EMD F7, likewise purchased at the Badger show flea market and likewise hand-detailed and painted, this time as Great Northern #678A. It looked too cool to pass up, with its working diaprahm on the back. I might add a motorizing kit to it someday, but for now the fantasy land story is that this locomotive was donated to the local railroad museum and is being moved there over Grovemont Branch tracks.

It is technically the only F7 model I have, since I have confirmed that my two AT&SF Bachmann ones are actually F9s. They are indeed detailed with the one distinguishing external feature-an extra set of vent grilles ahead of the front portholes.

The Grovemont Branch has to be the only railroad that still rosters F-units for ordinary freight service (the 2 ex-AT&SF ones are still in the active roundhouse); but they are seldom used, only in emergencies or severe rushes (in real life, because the cheap Bachmann train-set engines don't run very well).

08-19-06HOBoxcars1.png

Finally, the new additions to the freight yard. The AT&SF refrigerator and Libby's boxcar were actually purchased LAST weekend, from the garden railroad exhibitor in Brodhead. He was selling off all his HO scale rolling stock, track and accessories to focus exclusively on large scale railroading. The C&NW boxcar in the picture below was purchased this weekend at the Badger show from the same source as the two locomotives.

08-19-06HOBoxcars2.png

P_POP

Hello,me from THAILAND
join the weekend

Yesterday I went to take a stuff at TFT homeoffice
(WWW.trainsforthais). It is a Kribi tower tank- 1,500 B wow...แพงจัง (expensive)
I would make resin copies from it.

At TFT homeoffice one guy is doing a layout for sale. (Hey Hey, it's not me!)
Look! those cars made in china for lower price.

CP9302

Here's a shot of the newest additions to my fleet. FP7A & B by intermountain. I still need to modernize them and change the numbers before they go into service pulling the Royal Canadian and other excursions. (I still need to build my Royal Canadian Fleet, but thats another story :) )

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Last week, I got my old throw-together computer back from getting a super upgrade at my friend's computer shop. I had been using it only for the JMRI program in the Depot, but now will be able to use it as a 'Dispatcher Station' as well. I also had a wireless network installed so that I can use the Internet out there. Hopefully, I am about ready to give a serious effort toward installing signals. No more empire building!:rolleyes:

Semi-built in Monitor and "Open for Business"

Last edited by a moderator:

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
well I installed the needed software on my new computer to download pics from my phone. SO here are the new shots...

BNSF #801 Finnaly has her Chassis, and Overland one at that. It needs minor repair, the flywheels are slipping on the shafts.
View attachment 3864
View attachment 3865

BNSF #3967, the slug, well underway. I have the Diamond treadplate coming for the walkways, and I have yet to saw out the old setps to replace them with Plano GP7 steps.
View attachment 3866

HoK paint collection, Wal*Mart had the pack on sale for $10 each, got 2 military, one traditonal, and one "kustom". Alot of the boxes were beat up, paint bleeding... bottles moved around (the traditional one I have there has loose bottles, but no spilled paint).
View attachment 3867

Smoke

Southern Railway lives on
Here's my additions for the week. This is on my ?(you guess) layout. Enjoy. and one of my newly acquired GP30.
img1547sv6.jpg

img1549un5.jpg

img1543ug4.jpg

Great lookin pics you guys!!

Here's some construction pics. We replaced a bridge a few days ago, well OK my son replaced the bridge..I stayed out of the way. lol. The first is the MOW gang out replacing the grade crossing, the second is the new /old bridge, and the third is the first train across the new/old bridge...
Mark

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.