Weekend Photo Fun 12/21/07 to .........

Old Quarry Climbing centre

Steve. To almost quote a film " I love the smell of solder in the morning !"

My other area of activity this week was the quarry. I wanted it to be a redundant buisness then had a brain storm to add some more interest.

Welcome to Old Quarry Climbing and outdoor activity centre.

9.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

1220071.jpg

5-2.jpg

This last one is the building on the table having an artifical climbing wall fitted

1220072.jpg

John
RJR

Never would i have thought of that John,,,
BTW first weekend of the new year is preston MR show at the Uni in the town centre, it's a good un if you fancy it

Whoa, already too many pictures that I'm forgetting who did what. :) Steve and John, very nice work. Nice little retirement present there, Steve, I got a $25 gift certificate to some lousy restaurant. John, very creative way to use redundant structures. I've got an old coaling tower that has no place on my layout...I wonder what I can do with it.

Ray, thanks for the info. My layout is now lit all by compact fluorescents in track lights so I was thinking about white, amber, and blue as a good combination to add some warmer colors. I have dimmable fluorescents but the color is pretty sickly when they are down low.

Jeffrey, I see the CN has added a branch down to Louisiana. :)

Jerome, I'll come out of retirement to take your job. Just imagine, you can tell the wife you're off to work and then get 8 uninterrupted hours of modeling time. Dang, I think I may have gotten 4 hours once sine I retired.

Nice work John!

I thought I would pop in to show you the actual Rope Light that I installed.

RopeLight3w.png

RopeLight2w.png

RopeLight1w.png

It is installed with plastic electrical clamps next to the regular lighting. When they get good color rendering with the new dimable CFLs, I will be able to add a dimmer to the regular lighting and be able to transition to night lighting over a period of time.

Great pics everyone!
Josh, love the new unit!!!
Heres a late (early) Christmas gift from wife! An Atlas 60' SD auto parts car!
Picture_009.jpg

Josh, that is a fine looking model. If i dad that kind of talent, I'd be making one for myself too.

John, is that Santa passed out in the subway entrance? Looks like he's had too tough a year so far. I hope he sobers up before he as to get into that sleigh on Monday night. :)

Josh, Is that a RPP shell, or is it an Athearn R-T-R

Here is what I have been working on lately.
Trying to get rust streaking down pat.
IMG_1294.jpg

CSX SD70MAC that is being weathered as well.
IMG_12761.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Merry Christmas!

Here's a special C-HOHOHO9-22A unit coal running for delivery to Santa for all you boys and girls who have been bad this year.

55 Cars. I told everyone "Don't make me go in the siding. I'll take up three of 'em."

OK, I asked Bob from Griff's Grime shop if he could teach me how to weather cars. He said sure, let's meet up sometime, bring a car along and we'll do it. So this morning I took the GoldWing and headed out at 5am to Virginia Beach, VA. I got there about 9am and we got right to it. Bob would demonstrate how he did a certain thing and then let me try it. We did this though about 7 steps. Finally after about 3 hours, this is what I ended up with.....

100_1187.jpg

100_1186.jpg

100_1185.jpg

100_1184.jpg

I don't think it turned out too bad for my first attempt at weathering. With Bob's expert guidance, I think this old fallen flag Airslide hopper came out pretty good. Just got back home at 10pm after another 4 hour ride, good thing it was in the 50's today :)

WOW!!! thats an Awesome looking Airslide. Maybe bob should put out some how to video's!! Id love to learn, but for me its kinda hard to learn from still pictures.

The rest of ya'll have some great pics to share this weekend. Excellent work for sure!!

Maxi, I really like the look of the rust on the roof of that car. The sides look like you're trying to imitate a car that has had some of the wood siding replaced. That a good idea but the old wood looks more burned than weathered. Try to go a little lighter so you still see the old paint underneath the weathering.

Smoke, it's hard to tell on an oxide red car with no decals but the rust streaks look about the right length and intensity.

Bradley, those MKT units look fabulous! Did you do those yourself? That's one tough paint scheme to reproduce and you don't often see them modeled. Lets see, a 56 car coal train. My passing sidings can handle 12 and 9 cars each. I'd say trying to put me in the hole on my layout (assuming I could even run a 56 car train) would be a big mistake. :)

Jerome, I don't know Bob and it may be that the camera is showing the car different than it looks in real life but my first impression is that's way too much rust in the wrong places. For example, rib sides rarely have the ribs as the most heavily rusted part of the car since rain and wind tend to keep the faces of the ribs cleaner than the rest of the car. The rust tends to accumulate in the areas next to the ribs where the water and contaminants collect and the rust starts. Check out this picture of an SP airslide hopper as a perfect example of what I'm talking about:
sp403128_wayne_shell.jpg

You can see the top surfaces of the ribs remain quite clean while the flat surfaces between the ribs are where the rust and dirt collect. The rust also tends to be much thinner and rarely covers much of the painted on lettering. If it does, the railroad will usually do a patch paint job over the rust and re-stencil the data. Roofs also tend to get much less rusty then the car sides (assuming they are painted roofs like on this airslide) and the hatch areas in particularly don't accumulate much rust because it makes them too hard to open and close. This is one of those areas that shop crews will keep after even if the rest of the roof looks bad because customers complain.

I don't mean to sound overly critical of your work. The rust spotting and streaking really came out quite well. I know I tended to go way too heavy on my weathering when I first started and didn't study enough prototypes, whether in person or in photos, to get the weathering in the right places. I'm just glad there's no wayback machine so you can see some of the ones I did 40 years ago :eek: This an IC ice reefer I completed and weathered a few weeks ago and I'm still trying to get it right:
ICReeferMedium.jpg

Jim, Rust can form anywhere there's bare metal. Joints, corners & ribs are most common, but nicks & dents create some great rust marks.

Griff's has to be one of the better weathering guys out there. Glad to see you learned from one of the best Jerome!

Josh, I'm not arguing the point of where rust can form but the top surface of ribs is not the most common, as the prototype picture showed. As I said, the camera may not have done the car justice but there's way too much rust on the rib surfaces from what I can see and not enough rust and dirt on the flat panels.

Wow, Jerome, that's a rust bucket for sure but observe the rust patterns on your prototype compared to you model. Whatever commodity that car carried caused extreme rusting of the very top surfaces that bled down the sides. The top one half of the car is almost completely covered in relatively thick rust while the bottom half has much thinner rust and the ribs start to show their characteristic cleaner appearance. I just think that your car has too much rust concentrated around the ribs while the flat panels are too clean.

Back