Weekend Photo Fun 12/14/07 to Whenever

Secondhandmodeler

All new now!
This is my layout's swan song. As of last night, it nolonger exists. I won't be posting pictures for quite some time.

PB020023.png

PB140044.png

PB170071.png

PB170070_edited.png

PB170067_edited.png

Corey,

While it's sad to see a layout end, for any reason, hopefully it will soon rise from the ashes like a Phoenix, this time in Code 83 nickel-silver.... :)

Corey,

While it's sad to see a layout end, for any reason, hopefully it will soon rise from the ashes like a Phoenix, this time in Code 83 nickel-silver.... :)

I now know what I would like in a layout. Whenever I build a new one, I may switch to code 83 N/S. I'll have to build a new one in sections until I can buy a new house. Building that slowly will give me time and money to purchase new track as I go. I know I've posted these pictures before. I just thought I'd post them one last time.

Here are a few photos I staged on my friend Don's layout of my recent freight locomotive projects:

GP9
img1270cq5.jpg

AC4400
img1268iv2.jpg

img1272yp7.jpg

And my Proto 2000 Alcos next to a friend's Trix Union Pacific set.
img1228sz3.jpg

Corey, I know this is a sad day for you but, as Jeff said, one door has closed and a new one will open and your layout will rise again like the proverbial Phoenix. Who knows, maybe you'll even have enough money not to be a second hand modeler by then. :)

Zephyr, nice work on those enignes. It's really odd how much different those Rock Island PA's look sitting next to the UP PA's. Maybe because the color scheme is just so unfamiliar but they hardly look like same model of engine.

No layout to photograph, and my modules are boxed up in the closet. Was trying out my new 11-18mm lens on my DLSR using a photo base and my HO scale Bycyrus steam shovel:

Bucyrus-1.jpg

The lens is but a few inches from the bucket.

Corey You#ll be back up and running before you know it,
zephyr great pictures, love the red rock island loco's
Bob Another amazing picture, thanks for sharing

Got the three basic 4' x 2' modules together, the tracks not stuck down yet, not decided if i'm happy with it. The main line runs from the far left end to end, single track BTW with concrete ties in code 100, the sidings are a mixture of code 100 in the engine facility and code 75 in the yards. At present you won't be able to run through trains, it's just a switching layout with engine and fueling facility and an oil storage depot

10-08-07136.jpg

10-08-07137.jpg

Good week at RJR.
Undercoated the platforms grey, built the retaining wall behind it and fitted the subway steps to connect the platforms.

dmu3.jpg

Added some edge stones and painted the white edge.

station.jpg

dmu1.jpg

The retaining wall has the subway entrance ready to connect to the area near the flats

dmu.jpg

John
RJR

Breakdown on platform Class 57 "Scott Tracy" has to be called to offer a tow.

Back it up Dave

virgin.jpg

Keep coming

virgin1.jpg

A bit more

virgin2.jpg

Your there !!

virgin3.jpg

Okay

virgin4.jpg

Ready to go

virgin5.jpg

virgin6.jpg

John
RJR

Corey, Zepher, Steve, and John, Great work! Bob, will you please stop putting Proto Photos in here and claiming they are models....... All I can say is WOW! And, I gotta get me that lens. Looks like just what I have been looking for.

I've been taking some photos to try and find a couple to grace part of my Christmas Cards this year.

Hopewell Junction is pretty much complete at this time:

HopewellJunction11w.png

HopewellJunction12w.png

Looking the other way from the yard:

HopewellJunction13w.png

Scene is also coming along at Thompson Tiles:

ThompsonTiles10w.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Corey, I think I know how you feel. I was sort of in your position about 19 months ago, between layouts. It wasn't much fun, and it took me nearly 9 months before I could run a train around my new main, but has it ever been worth it. Also, judging from your images earlier, you have laid the foundation for a very nice layout with all of your learning. :)

To the other gentlemen, thanks for your images. Very nice to see.

-Crandell

Corey, I think I know how you feel. I was sort of in your position about 19 months ago, between layouts. It wasn't much fun, and it took me nearly 9 months before I could run a train around my new main, but has it ever been worth it. Also, judging from your images earlier, you have laid the foundation for a very nice layout with all of your learning. :)

To the other gentlemen, thanks for your images. Very nice to see.

-Crandell
Crandell, thank you for the kind words. I don't mean to flood this forum or the other one with my self pity. I appreciate the encouraging words from the people I know the least. Ripping up my layout was not easy. I had to do it without feeling sorry for myself or feelings of loss. I'm trying to look forward to the future. Hopefully, I'll have something to contribute to the WPF in the future.

That is some bucket, Bob. Is it really that big or does the lens distance make it look better? BTW, I hate it when guys say "I threw a few things together for a photo" and it looks better than my permanent layout. :)

Steve and John, did you both use those paper retaining walls? They look great, whatever they are. Steve, it looks like the track plan is coming together in the new section. John, you Brits are always so much more safety conscious than we are. We'd just back up the rescue engine until the engineer felt a big enough bump, the brakeman/conductor would swing down and hook up the air hoses and off they'd go. None of that hard hat and safety vest stuff for us. :)

Ray, you have one of my favorite layouts in terms of scenery. Hopewell Junction looks like it just sort of grew up beside the tracks and the yard trackage looks superb. I vote for the first picture for you Christmas Card but you've got to get a Christmas tree in front of that bandstand somehow. :D

I used 1/8 card then covered it with the final printed card (200gms), they recomend spraying with matt varnish once complete to hold the colours in, dullcote works the same i think, we'll find out anyway soon.

John Nice job BTW

Varnishing Cardboard structures.

Spraying with some sort of varnish would be good if you plan any dilluted PVA work near the finished product. A couple of areas at the bottom of my retaining walls stained when I ballasted the track. Good thing for weeds to disguise it.

John
RJR

Back