Weekend Photo Fun 12-12/12-15

Hope it's not too late to join the fun....

I've been tied up with a lot of the seasons work this last week so haven't had much time for the layout. Here are a couple projects I started to work on at the RIT show last weekend and just tonight got back to for a few minutes.

This old Overton Combine is now going to see duty as a "temporary" freight house (the freight house at this location burned down several years ago and was quickly replaced with this Overton Combine that was damaged in a wreck earlier that year. It seems that temporary can last a long time on the SLOW. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) It is only partially done as there will be a dock and steps added. I also plan on detailing the interior as well. Lighting has already been wired into the roof of the car.

FreightOffice01w.png

The SLO&W is also getting a couple of new Boxcars (Accurail) that are partially decaled. This car would have been finished at the show but I forgot to pack the "holder" to be able to do the ends of the car.

Boxcar6901w.png

Gramps that PRR show was very nice. Love the details on you layout

Steve B nice paystar. Drove one for a few weeks, nice tuff truck in the offroad but that screaming jimmy had to go LOL. 13 gears and you needed 2300 rpm out of everyone of them to keep it alive.

Trent

Zak, for some reason, your #8905 looks brass colored in that picture. I don't lnow if you haven't painted it yet or it's the lighting. Nice looking engines though.

I know the lighting is real bad. That is what I get for having a dark garage and taking my photos at night. I don't know about brass looking though. As soon as it stops raining here in Los Angeles I will take my diorama outside and take some good shots. Not sure if you saw it but I added a link to the real MRL #8905 just under the last photo so you can kind of see what I am going for.

Supurb Pictures everyone!!

Well I have been dreading for a while to begin detailing my locos since I didn't know how to. So for the first time I detail my RTR UP gp38-2. I think It turned out ok.

3109372017_7acbb7b782.jpg

3109371365_9d564cfb64.jpg

I still have to add the lift bar, ditch lights, and a few others.

Supurb Pictures everyone!!

Well I have been dreading for a while to begin detailing my locos since I didn't know how to. So for the first time I detail my RTR UP gp38-2. I think It turned out ok.

3109372017_7acbb7b782.jpg

3109371365_9d564cfb64.jpg

I still have to add the lift bar, ditch lights, and a few others.

Looks hella good to me.

Ray, The Tonopah & Tidewater had a similar old combine they used at Silver Lake after a flood in 1916 that was "temporary" and it lasted until the line closed down in 1938. :) I like that car holder for decaling car ends how exactly did you make it?

Jeffrey, nice looking train coming under that pedestrian crossover.

Mike, looks like a nice first attempt to me. The only suggestion I have is to use a fine point black marker and fill in the intake area at the rear of the engine since they were always pretty dark on GP-15's, like it shows in your prototype photo.

Thanks Steve and Jim, Actually my GP38-2 Doesn't have a intake area on the bottom, It looks like it only has them on the top. That particular model might only have one on the bottom.
A fine point marker is a good idea though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, The Tonopah & Tidewater had a similar old combine they used at Silver Lake after a flood in 1916 that was "temporary" and it lasted until the line closed down in 1938. :) I like that car holder for decaling car ends how exactly did you make it?

Thanks Jim! The car holder was made out of some wood scraps I had hanging around (basically 1" x 2") glued together with scrap foam padding glued to the inside to hold the models. A rubber band is used to hold the car in the holder. Thanks for the info on the Tonopah & Tidewater. I knew there were some proto examples of this use but it is good to have definitive knowledge when this part of the layout getts judged for Merit Points......

Some more of the city, just started working on the corner buildings. The ones on either end are Chooch fronts with scratchbuilt sides. Those in the center are scratch all the way. The white piece is the "core" before the brick siding is applied. The overall shot is looking at the other end of the city.
Streets, curbs and sidewalks in the corner are all made from Evergreen, holes in the street are where the manhole covers set.

Mike, my mistake, I thought that was GP15-1, like in the picture behind it. Fine point mqarkers are good for filling grilles though, since you can just fill in the "blank" space behine the grille and leave the body paint showing.

Ray, thats a cheap, good way to hold cars for things like decaling. I don't know why I never thought of anything like that.

MD, nice work on those backdrop buildings. Pretty cool that you actually left holes for your manhole covers. That's a detail that almost never gets modeled.

Is it just me, or does everyone get the uk.youtube.com site? No matter what I do, it always reverts to uk.youtube.com as the url.

Everything is looking great this week. Love the juice train video. I have got to get a lot of those cars. Does anyone know where you can get some of the earlier car sets?

Here's a new project layout I have for a client. It's not the "Extreme Makeover" type like I had last time. He owns all Marklin equipment and track, real nice stuff. The size is 13'x17'. 2 levels, lower level is all staging/shadow station.

Real excited about this one. I start Wed. night, and start cutting Thursday.

SpringhouseRR.png

I'll start a progress thread when I get more pix.

Back