Weekend Photo Fun 11-18-05

Railphotog said:
The sun was streaming into my photo room, and I was taking advantage of it by shooting some more photos on my original modules. Here's one I took just a few moments ago:

BobB: Thanks for the better view of the bridge. Very nice weathering on the girders, rails, and ties. I have never seen a snow plow like that one (of course, I have never seen any snow plow in life). What did they do push it through and let it peel the snow over to the side? Man, you don't have a stable, but a farm of beauties.

William: Glad you made it to the forum. Yes, you will have a good time here and if like me, will learn a lot from these guys. William, CJ hasn't seen the Tsunami, but I will tell you that if the diesel is as large as the steam, then it will be very hard to get one in a longhood without a great deal of mod work. Probably will take a big change-out with the weights to have the room needed. The bright side is it is smaller than the DSD150 so if they went in, so will the Tsunami.

KenL: Yup! You got my number all right. My work was heard this weekend.
Did you hear it?:D Looking at your photos, you have loads of room. You must be ready to burst at the seams to be able and put the fire in the blast furnace.

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
BobB: I have never seen a snow plow like that one (of course, I have never seen any snow plow in life). What did they do push it through and let it peel the snow over to the side?

These double ended plows were used on CN branchlines that did not have turning facilities, so they could be used each way. They are wider than normal plows, 12 feet, I imagine to clear some of the snow from the sides.

There is a prototype in a railway museum a few hours from here, and I was able to take lots of photos of it for my project.

NO Railroad pictures, but I did build a bridge out of popsicle sticks with my daughter for a class. The bridge will be judged for strength, beauty, and economy. economy = load/mass of bridge. We used 84 sticks.

The ultimate test will be when my duaghter's teacher tries to stand on it. He says he weights 272 pounds, but I think he is closer to 300. I think it will make it as long as he doesn'e tip it over trying to stand on it.

What do you think?

popcycle01.gif

popcycle02.gif

popcycle03.gif

Josh, good luck with the detailing. Is that a Fontaine fifthwheel I see on the truck? (I work PT for them.)

Chip, good looking bridge. Now you can build one for the layout! Hope your daughter wins!

SpaceMouse said:
NO Railroad pictures, but I did build a bridge out of popsicle sticks with my daughter for a class. The bridge will be judged for strength, beauty, and economy. economy = load/mass of bridge. We used 84 sticks.

The ultimate test will be when my duaghter's teacher tries to stand on it. He says he weights 272 pounds, but I think he is closer to 300. I think it will make it as long as he doesn'e tip it over trying to stand on it.

What do you think?

Looks good and strong I guess it comes down to glue strength?

Good luck!:cool:

Ken.

grande man said:
That looks great! 17x15 will be a very good size for HO. Is there anywhere to fit a wye? I'm think'in (dangerous) that you might want to turn an engine here and there.
Actually Eric, I was ready to install a pair of turntables to accommodate friends with any visiting steam power. Had plans drawn up and everything. But it just seemed like a prohibitively complicated engineering challenge for something that I may need only sporadically, if ever... I'll just stick with back-to-back diseasles for the time being:D

Well the weekend is past, but LOL if the mouse can put one in so can I :D
CB&CNS EMD's topping the grade I calls it.

13.gif
Willis

Just getting back into the swing of things. Very nice photos, nice work and lot's of variety and a fine weekend it was

Last edited by a moderator:
Cjcrescent said:
Josh, good luck with the detailing. Is that a Fontaine fifthwheel I see on the truck? (I work PT for them.)

Not really sure, most of the HO scale modelers, err wait 1:87th (they're not all train guys), just refer to the scale styles, like the ones with the bigger holes for the trailers out there with larger kingpins, or the one like I got for the small kingpin. I just left the stock Atlas one, with some grimy black, needs a little 'grease buildup'.

I have been messing around with XtrkCad and designed a small 4X8 layout just for fun, because I recently figured out how to use it! Unfortunately it says it is an Invalid Document'. Anyone think they may know why???

did you register the software, it's free theres a registration page on the xtrakcad website.

Ken.

Chris;

The software has to be registered to be able to save etc. Go back to the sillub website and click on registering Xtrkcad below the first graphic.
Follow the directions.

CBCNSfan said:
Well the weekend is past, but LOL if the mouse can put one in so can I :D
CB&CNS EMD's topping the grade I calls it.

13.gif
Willis

Just getting back into the swing of things. Very nice photos, nice work and lot's of variety and a fine weekend it was

Willis that river bed turned out real nice :D

chrismoore93 said:
It is already saved in to Xtrk. When I try to Upload it here, it says Invalid File.
Chris
Only certain file types are allowed to be uploaded. If you take the file and zip it into a zip file, that can be uploaded here.

chrismoore93 said:
It is already saved in to Xtrk. When I try to Upload it here, it says Invalid File.
Chris

It won't upload if it's bitmap, resave it on your computer as a jpg. that's what I do.

Ken.

Ken:

It can be uploaded as a .bmp,( bitmap). It just can't be bigger than 195k or 1200 x 1200 pixels wide.

I use a free download called IrfanView. Great program for compressing and resizing any graphic like bitmaps and jpegs. Got it from Downloads.com

Cjcrescent said:
I use a free download called IrfanView. Great program for compressing and resizing any graphic like bitmaps and jpegs. Got it from Downloads.com
Carey, I remember getting Irfanview ~5 years ago - it had this really cool feature for creating animated GIF images! Does it still let you do that?

Ken;
Yes, its still there. Plus now you can download all sorts of plugins that let you do more. I like it because of its compression features for jpegs.

Example: this picture originally was 3.4mB. Just by compressing it with IrFanview its now 73KB.

Back