Weekend Photo Fun 11-14/11-17

P1010089.jpg

Catt
Steve,it's tractor.The red one was the blue one. It came from Wal-Mart earlier this year and I am just now finding the time to modify them (I bought all I could get).
Sorry John, i meant John T's loco's, they are nicknamed tractors over here :) You did a good job with the re modeling, what is the large panel for at the back of the cab, my guess, driver protection from sliding loads ???

Great weekends worth of photos everyone :)

rc

Hey Jim Yes HL Tiger 1, was grey when i got it with the metal track and drive sprocket option. As you can see it's "Changed" lot's of battle damage and bit's knocked or blown off. It has 3-1 reduction metal gearboxes and metal rear idler wheels, El Mod sound blaster and control with turret control and 5" sub speaker under the turret, i had to bin the BB gun to fit it all in. My boys each have HL tanks which are, tiger 1 with plastic tracks and the snow leopard (Pershing) also on plastic tracks.
Out of intrest i have replaced the Tiger 1 sound with the King tiger sound package from the El Mod web site, it is very realistic, almost scary.

Kool I have yet to change my tracks and gears ,but on the "TO DO" list,I have two Pershings and an M-41.an the tiger . one pershing is in the process of getting an regular R.C. surfice radio in stalled.All have been changed too exturnel charge plugs and the on/off switch moved to the rear end from under neath,to an push pull switch.

JIM

Last edited by a moderator:
Catt
what is the large panel for at the back of the cab, my guess, driver protection from sliding loads ???

QUOTE]

You got it right

We call them Headache racks. They are there to "attempt" to keep sliding flat bed loads from entering the cab. Some flat bed trailers dont have a bulkhead attached to them. If you run this style trailer the law says you need a headache rack on the rear of the tractor. They come in handy as many will have storage for chains and binders etc...

Trent

Finally

Great Job this week to everyone!!

I finished my first conversions and did a couple more.

Here is the Coke Car I have another that is done too. All that is needed is some wieghts and a little weathering to take out that shine!
IMG_2614.jpg

I did this former AHM Shell Triple Dome Car...It only needs weathering!
IMG_2612-2.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

The last one is this Bachman...I painted the top flat black and then did a quick coupler and truck conversion. I will probably weather this thing and maybe even sell it off eventually since its not my road. But it was good practice especially if I had srewed up.
IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

Now on to those 5 or 6 Athearn Kits I got sitting in my closet!:D:D

You got it right

We call them Headache racks. They are there to "attempt" to keep sliding flat bed loads from entering the cab. Some flat bed trailers dont have a bulkhead attached to them. If you run this style trailer the law says you need a headache rack on the rear of the tractor. They come in handy as many will have storage for chains and binders etc...

Trent
I thought they were meant to keep those tire chains and/or load tie down chains, from banging into the cab?

I thought they were meant to keep those tire chains and/or load tie down chains, from banging into the cab?

I guess thats another use for some people?
Some guys that pull Lowboy trailers (to move heavy machine) will buy the racks for those items but leagaly they dont need them. It would just give you more storage space for your chains. Some freight haulers will buy them just for the "bling" factor and a place to put more led lights LOL..

You can get the racks in many diffrent forms. Some are just plane bulk heads that do nothing more than offer cab protection. Some to hold blocks of wood,chain,binders for the stuff you haul. Another popular option is to have a "window" cut into the rack that when installed behind a day cab you can see out your rear window of the tractor for when backing up to a trailer or to get a better view of the trailer when making sharp Right turns. Lots of options but the main reason was for driver and cab protection with flat bed trailers.:)

Trent

Tom, your photos look great to me. What is the prototype for the MGL #2071? I know I've seen it before but I can't place what line it ran on.

Hi Jim.

I model a local line that ran here in the Niagara Peninsula called the Niagara, St. Catharines and Toronto Railway. A few lads were interested in the line and actually scaled the original plans down to O scale and etched brass stock to create these traction motors and street cars.

Here is a link to a picture of the prototype;
http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/on/htm/nstct22.htm

This is a model that I have painted C N green.

unit20a.jpg

I have two of these, so the second one I painted in my fictitious road name. The prototype ran trolley poles, but it is difficult to manage a pole while switching in a yard, so I put a pantograph on. C N didn't run pantographs, so I came up with this idea to make switching easier.

MGL2017c.jpg

It works well, except the power trucks are NWSL and they don't run as smooth as Q Car, so I am going to replace them in the near future.

Tom

Great stuff!

Great stuff again, WOW!:eek:

The WPF seem to be getting better all the time. Thanks for sharing guys. Great stuff

V&AL very nice rollign stock & engine. Very nice looking layout. The roads look great! How was it done?

Tom. O scale? Nicely done :eek:

Thanks, Tom, I knew I'd seen that motor somewhere and I thought it was in CN colors. Good looking models both. O scale traction always looks like such a great idea to model until I start thinking about things like overhead wire, trolley poles, and pantographs. I then realize my inability to figure out how to hook up more than two wires to anything wouldn't work out too well. :)

Nice work everyone.
John what is the ground cover at the base of the wall?
I'm working on mocking up the next area on the layout. I like working on one small part before moving on.
IMG_0709.jpg

I would like to know what you used for ground cover in this scene as well. :)

nice looking pictures everyone!

I'm finally starting the track laying phase of my layout.
Only thing I'm unsure about is if I should use N scale cork sheets or just lay the track of for the yard directly on the foam to make them lower than the mainline.
3041654522_2616574915.jpg

3040813459_d661e569d0.jpg

Mike, excellent idea to have a full size track plan for your layout. You'll at least get things in right general locations and soon find out what adjustments you have to make. Since it looks like you have the mainline running right through the middle of the yard, my preference would be to lay the yard tracks directly on the foam and use the cork for the mainline.

Is there some reason you want that runaround track on the left side of the layout to run all the way around the yard and back to the main? It looks like it makes the last two yard tracks so short due to the switches that you couldn't store more than a few cars. I would just continue the ladder track up, adding another yard track, and not have a connection back to the main on the far end. You'd be able to store more cars and the only change you might want to make is a crossover track somewhere in the middle of the yard.

Jim Olirish Got the on / off switch at the back along with the volume switch, still on removable batteries but plan to install a much bigger one, currently 3300ma but want around 5000ma and external charging socket to get away from tipping it over all the time to change batteries

Jim Olirish Got the on / off switch at the back along with the volume switch, still on removable batteries but plan to install a much bigger one, currently 3300ma but want around 5000ma and external charging socket to get away from tipping it over all the time to change batteries

ya guys need to goto Li-ion Batteries! way more power faster charge times and longer run times!

Mike, excellent idea to have a full size track plan for your layout. You'll at least get things in right general locations and soon find out what adjustments you have to make. Since it looks like you have the mainline running right through the middle of the yard, my preference would be to lay the yard tracks directly on the foam and use the cork for the mainline.

Is there some reason you want that runaround track on the left side of the layout to run all the way around the yard and back to the main? It looks like it makes the last two yard tracks so short due to the switches that you couldn't store more than a few cars. I would just continue the ladder track up, adding another yard track, and not have a connection back to the main on the far end. You'd be able to store more cars and the only change you might want to make is a crossover track somewhere in the middle of the yard.

The reason I have the runarounds is becuase I'm trying to build off of the yard from the prototype UP yard. Here are some that will kinda show you how thier yard is.
2639384683_9ce06a916c.jpg

The prototype yard as you can is alot bigger. I know I wont have space to make that big.
2640204300_a2e583cbd8.jpg

Back