Weekend Photo fun 10/11/12 October 2008

You have to be up early to beat Jeffery to starting the WPF, either that or living in a different Time Zone :D

Ive been working in several areas but mainly detailing so no dramatic changes.

I built a low loader trailer.....

lowloader4.jpg

lowloader5.jpg

And did some testing

heritageshots.jpg

heritageshots2.jpg

heritageshots3.jpg

STA50322.jpg

And a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es2R5ICiqt8

John
RJR

Meet the new addition to my collection. BNSF SD40 6319. I just installed a decoder (DZ125) in it and have the lights set for steady forward and double pulse strobe reverse.
P1010159.jpg

Hi all: The track gang is just finishing the replacement spur into the loader at the Blackwood Coal co. Reading no 633 is preparing to pull some loaded hoppers out of the loader. John, very nice! Jeffrey, nice addition to your roster.

P1020326.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Johntealon30, After seeing a few of your photo's I now know what is causing global warming :p Cool pictures from everyone :)

Joh, nidce "lowboy" (what we call that kind of trailer on this side of the pond) and nice smoke effect at the engine house. Was that all added digitally or do you have some real smoke units?

Jeffrey, nice SD-40. Your railroad needs some leased power like that.

Gramps, another great shot. The weathering in the sheet metal sides of the loading bins is outstanding.

Here's the CSX local creeping through the backyards out of town. This scene is only about 16 inches deep and I think shows that forced perspective works well for small spaces.

CSXthroughbackyardsMedium.jpg

Great start again this weekend folks! I haven't been doing anything "photogenic" this week, but I am getting some shots ready for a presentation next weekend at the Lakeshores Division NMRA Meet. I will be talking about wiring and installing the Tortoise Machine so I have been looking for shots that I have taken of them over the last couple years as I have installed them on my layout. Some installations were a bit "different" to say the least. For instance what do you do when you are retrofitting a turnout that is installed right over a 1x4 support beam? I made a scratch assembly using some left over brass tubing, piano wire, and a length of old code 100 rail to create a "remote" installation. Here is the "under the table" portion:

TortiYard01w-1.png

And here is what it looks like up above on the layout:

RemoteTortiMount7w.png

The piano wire throw will be blackened so it should blend in and a Details West switch throw and and target will complete it. here is another place with a similar installation. The targets are installed.

RemoteTortiMount6w.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MLW and Steve B. Jim, you're absolutely right. Some forced perspective can add "life" to a scene. Did you do the art work? Ray, can we start calling you the Tortoise Man? Just kidding, you've been very resourceful in mounting some of your Tortii. When I ran into a problem Tortoise, I just moved the cross member, (an advantage of L girder construction). BTW, you should do a tutorial on your switch stands. That's at the top of my "to do " list.

This coaling station is being made over into a heavily weathered structure. It will have a partially collapsed wall and pieces of the heavily rusted roof gone. The rest of the roof will appear as if ready to cave in at the slightest touch. Work on it is going slowly. I have close to six projects in front of me at this time.

P1010166-1.jpg

Wow, great stuff so far!
I still haven't had time for the train room, but I did pick up another critter!
I call this one "Little Red" and have no idea of it's lineage as the id plates as well as the horn and bell have been scavanged.
The challenge now will be to clear some brush and lay more track before the snow flies!
(oh great, more modeling time gone...:rolleyes:)

Ray, can we start calling you the Tortoise Man? Just kidding, you've been very resourceful in mounting some of your Tortii. When I ran into a problem Tortoise, I just moved the cross member, (an advantage of L girder construction). BTW, you should do a tutorial on your switch stands. That's at the top of my "to do " list.

There is a great one already written: http://www.westportterminal.de/switchstands.html

I use the L Girder construction, but found that it is impossible with scenery already done to easily move the girder so I improvised. Oh and I've been called much worse (I taught Middle School Music for 19 years....:eek:;)).

ray,

with just the right touch, that wire could be made to look like a broken air hose, or some other debris that just "happened" to be dropped right there...

Rico, that is sure one oddball looking Plymouth. It looks like it has a big air tank mounted on one side and what looks like a sand dome on the top of the hood. It sure will be interesting if you can find out anything more about it.

Gramps, that's just a standard Walthers printed backdrop. I just arranged the front scene so it would look like things faded off ino the distance on the hills on the backdrop.

Jeffrey, I've got the same old Plasticville coaling tower sitting around that I've been trying come up with an idea of what to use it for. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Ray, ingnious way to use that Torti in a remote manner like that. You've just given me some inspiration for my grade crossing gates. I don't like the way the wire just flops aound in the hole drilled through the table. I should cut some brass tube and run the wire from the gate down through the brass tube. It will make the wire more stable and gate action more steady.

I don't have much in the way of modeling pictures, but I have a few train trip ones. I hope you guys don't mind.

Here is the Soo Pacific we road behind last weekend.

Duluth10-4-08047.png

This is the car we road in for the trip.

Duluth10-4-08036-1.png

Here is a Yellowstone that is exposed to the elements. The restored one I saw is in a Museum. There is no way to take a good picture of the restored one.

Duluth10-4-08026.png

Here is my ugly mug along with my beautiful wife.

Duluth10-4-08062.png

Here's a little dribble from me:
newcityscape.png

Finally finished a re-design of 50% of my trackwork when I went DCC(finally). Shot across toward the industrial area , SP tiger stripe 1329 working local industry in the middle ground.

There was a train show in Hutch that I am apart of. I picked me up a SoundTraxx TSU-1000 EMD 710 schemed decoder for my F59PHI, I'll get some snap shots of it now, then film it when I'm done for all those that are interested in getting one of these decoders.

Back