Weekend Photo Fun! 1-6-06

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi all. Let see you pics!

Here's our contest pic I just took. The GP30 arrived today. It's one of the things LGM bought with his Christmas money. He got it for $39.95 from Trainworld! Take that Walthers. I weathered it, installed a decoder and replaced two cracked axle gears.:eek: The gears are no biggie. They're cheap, easy to change, and the only drawback to P2K, IMHO. I'm still amazed at their detail. The CB&Q 30's didn't have folding platforms or safety chains, neither does the P2K model. It's nice to know someone's doing their homework and not just looking at the bottom dollar.

Hey buddy, watch the hands! C&S GP30 rumbles by as Jimmy gets to know the Mayor's daughter a little better.
124699876.jpg

Must be a rich kid to have a convertable camaro like that. She could do worse ;)

I need to really dust my camera off and get some pictures done. I did get 3 of the 6 new Intermountain Cov Hoppers in the BNSF speed lettering today, as well as the latest MicroTrain releases, nice thing working at the store, UPS to me, to the shelf :)

Great shot!

Looking forward to the pics Dave. As for the Mayor's daughter, she could also do alot better than Jimmy. He's Billy Bob's close cousin ya know. :D

30's in Grande colors...
124373268.jpg

Grande Man, that photo looks so familiar for some reason...

My second domino is in the process of getting track laid on it. I've got it all painted brown, which has some definite psychological advantages over bare pink foam:

DSCF2661.sized.jpg

The track in front is just there to have a place to put it... as much as I'd love an 8 track yard.

From the other direction:
DSCF2662.sized.jpg

I used one of those ColdSolder gadgets with a conical tip on it to solder in the rail feeders - one of the best looking (invisible) ones so far:

DSCF2659.sized.jpg

Lookin good Jeff. That first pic looks like the makings of a busy place. Keep us up to date on your progress.

dthurman, get dusting that camera off, i would love to see some pics!;):D grande man, LGM's engine looks GREAT! OH,BTW, is that the same Jimmy that has an older brother, Jake(the guy covered by the girl)that lives down in Florida? or was that just a rumor? if it is, cripes, i heard that whole darn family is just plain bad news!:eek::p:D -Dean

Here's a few that I took over at Rex's last week. I had left these locos over there and we decided to give them some work.

Beginning of my weekend's work:

BNSF #801, waiting upon the chassis which I fully intend to pick up next weekend from mh LHS. Then on to DCC & lighting and weathering. (I just realized in the back of that shot you can see the GP30 & GP7 resting awaiting weathering)
View attachment 2630

#9277 & the first of 3 Wheel Works yard tractors.
View attachment 2631

The NEW Athearn cab ;-) replaced that broken blue one.
View attachment 2632

Athearn Freightliner COE & Walthers Logging truck cab on an Athearn chassis (both no where near done.)
View attachment 2633

Last edited by a moderator:
JeffShultz said:
I used one of those ColdSolder gadgets with a conical tip on it to solder in the rail feeders -
Is that that UV thingy or what ever it was that they're advertising everywhere? that heats up and cools in like a half a second?

jbaakko said:
Is that that UV thingy or what ever it was that they're advertising everywhere? that heats up and cools in like a half a second?

Yeh, does that thing REALLY work?????????

Johnny

Great pics everyone!

Brakie, I be liksin them geeps. :D

Another shot of CB&Q power in the Mine District. Ya'll don't worry, the new will wear off before long...:D
124771203.jpg

Not much going on here. Still building interiors.

Need to take a small break form modelling as its Ukrainian Christmas today.

Hummm, project idea...

Duff Beer Refers, going to make 3 I think, DUFX ;-) 10000 series, in a deep red color.

Okay, here is my attempt at some pictures, it's been a while for me, pretty rusty, plus I have been letting the girlfriend use it, seems like all the custom settings I had programmed are changed :(

#1 is half of my new fleet of BNSF cov hoppers, the other 3 are still at the store, these things break the bank. Though you can't see it, these pups are detailed pretty well just from the company...

#2 is the Clark Gas Station kit from BlairMills, I am about 1/2 done with it. I am thinking about not using the pumps they have but build my own. Time to really un-dust the camera...

#3 is one of the new Atlas MP15DC's I got. They have awesome detail, run smooth as silk, and are geeting repainted in the near future to TP&W orange, 301 and 302 :) Actually the 4 SD24's and 2 SD80Mac's are scheduled for the paintshop, first have to get the DCC going, then off they go.

I need to work on the lighting issues here, I do know that day shots are better, some of the overhead lights seem to make the room too hot for the camera.

jbaakko said:
Hummm, project idea...

Duff Beer Refers, going to make 3 I think, DUFX ;-) 10000 series, in a deep red color.

I want some too! You can mass produce them and sell them to all of the Simpsons fans/model railroaders. They MUST be modern, though, since most Simpsons fans happen to be younger peeps. My railroad already has a spur into Springfield. (how do you think Mr. Burns' nuclear plant sends out spent fuel rods?) :D

MTRPLS!

I wanted to let you know, you and your pal have inspired me to do what you guys are doing, the Fantasy Scheme, taking the TP&W and doing a modern version with them never have been taken over by ATSF, or the dreaded RailAmerica, and instead have grown, added welded rail, SD80's etc., thanks, and when will we see some Virtual Interchange coming ;)

mtrpls said:
I want some too! You can mass produce them and sell them to all of the Simpsons fans/model railroaders. They MUST be modern, though, since most Simpsons fans happen to be younger peeps. My railroad already has a spur into Springfield. (how do you think Mr. Burns' nuclear plant sends out spent fuel rods?) :D
I'm going to make a full, two car set though Rail Graphics. On the Simpsons, Homers beerless episode, the Duff cars were red, I'm going to use a darker red on mine. I'm trying to find those "Beer Cars" that were produced/going to be produced by someone. IIRC it was Walthers but I can't find them. The 62' PC&F insulated kind. I figure thats the most prototypical way to ship beer by rail.

EDIT Then again there's those Walthers 50' RBL Insulated cars...
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-4771

For Nuclear I'll say, gondola (considering their carlessness), other wise, i guess find the prototype way UP gets them to Nevada!

Last edited by a moderator:
jbaakko said:
I'm going to make a full, two car set though Rail Graphics. On the Simpsons, Homers beerless episode, the Duff cars were red, I'm going to use a darker red on mine. I'm trying to find those "Beer Cars" that were produced/going to be produced by someone. IIRC it was Walthers but I can't find them. The 62' PC&F insulated kind. I figure thats the most prototypical way to ship beer by rail.

EDIT Then again there's those Walthers 50' RBL Insulated cars...

For Nuclear I'll say, gondola (considering their carlessness), other wise, i guess find the prototype way UP gets them to Nevada!

For the 'beer car'. Eel River Models makes an excellent model of the prototype... is that who you're thinking of? It's been out for some time, details at: http://www.p-b-l.com/erm/ERM-Main-NS.html

As for the gondolas, be sure to include a model of the infamous 3-eyed fish swimming amongst the junk.

Back